Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Need help find the right name for your newborn? Try our baby name generator.

Would it be weird...

MumOfThreeToBe2021 · 29/03/2021 19:20

To give both twin babies the same middle name? After a family member of that makes any difference.

Eg. First name - same name - surname

Or

First name - different middle same - same middle name - surname

OP's posts:
Please
or

YouDirtyBertie · 29/03/2021 19:22

I think I’d go for the second option there

Please
or

MadeForThis · 29/03/2021 19:23

Second option

Please
or

JM10 · 29/03/2021 19:24

I think it's a bit weird either way to be honest.

Please
or

BeingATwatItsABingThing · 29/03/2021 19:28

Yeah, I’d say it’s a bit weird. Can you not find another family member to name the baby after?

Twin 1 - First name, maternal grandmother’s name, surname
Twin 2 - First name, paternal grandmother’s name, surname

Please
or

zigaziga · 29/03/2021 19:29

Second option and I don’t think it’s remotely weird.

Plenty of people have a shared middle - often something like the mother’s surname or a name from family.

First option is still ok but their first names would need to be very different. Ideally I’d just add in another middle though.

Please
or

whiskersonkittenss · 29/03/2021 19:29

Give one the family middle name and the other a different name

Please
or

Amdone123 · 29/03/2021 19:33

2nd option, I suppose, though I agree with pp, find another family member's name?
I know someone with 4 daughters. She has given them all the same middle name ( along the lines of Jane, Louise), and it's not even her name or a family name. Weird.

Please
or

Historytoo · 29/03/2021 19:40

I don't think it's odd. My DF and his brother and two sisters all had the same middle name. Nobody asks about middle name anyway.

Please
or

stellarfox · 29/03/2021 19:55

I just think there are so many nice names in the world it’s nice to use different ones if you can. Some people do repeat middle names between siblings but I don’t really get it personally

Please
or

SmellyLittleBelly · 29/03/2021 19:59

I don’t think it too odd.
My grandma had 8 children and called her dd3 dd2’s middle name if that makes sense
So Dd 2 was Patricia Elizabeth
And dd3 Elizabeth

Please
or

MumOfThreeToBe2021 · 29/03/2021 20:07

I did wonder if it's a bit weird myself, but I ask because not giving the name to both of them would mean 1 twin having 2 family names and the other not having any (due to initials it creates!)

So giving them both their own middle name followed by family name solves that, but I can't decide if that's still a bit much.

(Yes at least one of them having the family name is non negotiable!)

OP's posts:
Please
or

BeingATwatItsABingThing · 29/03/2021 20:09

When you say two family names, can you not split them?

Please
or

SummaLuvin · 29/03/2021 20:10

I think there are times siblings with same middle names can work, e.g. blended families where sisters have different last names. But in this scenario I don't think it's a good idea. As twins they may already struggle with having a unique identity away from their twin, having a name that is almost identical won't help them being seen as individuals.

If that particular name is very important can you use different versions - Alex/Sacha, Jim/James, Christoper/Kit...

Please
or

Awwlookatmybabyspider · 29/03/2021 20:15

What would happen if they all wanted to go by their middle names. You'd have 3 kids with the same name. Mind you it worked for George Forman I suppose, so who am I to objectGrin

Please
or

Mavedrai · 29/03/2021 20:42

The second option is good - nothing wrong with having four names.

I would strongly discourage option one if they have any siblings who don't have that same middle name. (Your username suggests there's an older sibling.)

Please
or

WitchesBritchesPumpkinPants · 29/03/2021 20:47

Same middle name is fine.

It's an honour to a family member & hardly ever used!

2 middles names is annoying & unnecessary

It would only be weird if it was first names 🤣

Please
or

tazzy73 · 29/03/2021 20:52

Hi MumOfThreeToBe202
In my husbands family they all have the same middle name, both male and female. His mother was a great believer in St. Jude so they all had it
( Jude, not St. Grin), all the grandchildren and now great grandchildren have it.
It's actually a lovely tradition. Not for all, but it works in this family.

Please
or

WiseOwlOne · 29/03/2021 20:54

I think it's nice! It's only a middle name.

Please
or

Stevearnottsbeard · 29/03/2021 20:58

Option 2. My son has 2 middle names (the 2nd being my maiden name) no one has ever commented on it other than how nice I'm carrying on the family name

Please
or

sorryforswearing · 29/03/2021 21:21

I know two men with the same name as a middle name after their dad. First and only time I’ve come across it. I just thought it was a bit unusual but didn’t give it more thought than that. I could understand why. I’d say it’s fine.

Please
or

partyatthepalace · 29/03/2021 21:25

No all the women in my mum’s family share a middle name - my sister and have have a third name also, but not all the family does. It’s a nice family thing.

But if they are twins I’d give them a different third name each also - bit less twinny

Please
or

BackforGood · 29/03/2021 21:42

It's weird.
Nor would I land 2 middle names on a child - or, on you as you will be the one filling in forms for them for the first 18 years, and obviously two at a time for all things at the same time.

If it is important you you to copy someone else's name, then can't you do as BeingATwat suggests and also use someone else's name for your other dc ?

Please
or

Anotherlovelybitofsquirrel · 29/03/2021 21:48

Weird as.

Please
or

RoseMartha · 29/03/2021 21:53

I think same middle name is ok

Please
or

user1493494961 · 29/03/2021 21:54

I know twins with the same middle name, they also have the same first initial. I can't see the problem with the same middle name.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.