My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Freyja

58 replies

RizzleRazzle · 09/03/2021 09:10

All being well, DD1 is arriving in 6 weeks. Me and DP love the name Freya/Freyja but DP really wants to spell it Freyja rather than Freya as that's how the goddess' name is spelled.

I'm okay with it but worried she will be forever correcting people? DP is very passionate about using the correct spelling.

Would you know how to pronounce it just by reading it or will people think it's Frey-juh?

Also thoughts on the middle name Astrid?

Thank you

OP posts:
BeingATwatItsABingThing · 09/03/2021 09:13

I’m normally in the camp of spell the name ‘correctly’ but for this one, I would spell it Freya. That’s the common spelling and I personally think it looks nicer.

I like Astrid.

boltfromtheblueblue · 09/03/2021 09:14

Freyja may be authentic but it looks like you couldn't decide how to spell it and used too many letters. The y and the j make the same sound on their own, either of them. Just pick one.

ChelseaCat · 09/03/2021 09:14

Another vote for Freya spelling.

I’m afraid I once knew an Astrid with a very unfortunate nickname stemming from her name so I would personally avoid at all costs

BeingATwatItsABingThing · 09/03/2021 09:16

@ChelseaCat

Another vote for Freya spelling.

I’m afraid I once knew an Astrid with a very unfortunate nickname stemming from her name so I would personally avoid at all costs

Hmmm... Didn’t think of the quite obvious nickname.
flappityflippers1 · 09/03/2021 09:17

Freya absolutely.

Freyja looks like a yogurt brand spelling

Freya Astrid is lovely and a good balance of uniqueness, but not so whacky she’ll suffer - really like it Daffodil

JuneWind · 09/03/2021 09:17

I think there are two negatives with the Freyja spelling - one, she will forever be spelling it out to people (I have to do this with my own name and it’s so tedious) and two, people reading it will probably mispronounce and include the J sound.

Also, Freya looks much prettier than Freyja. Lovely name btw!

BeingATwatItsABingThing · 09/03/2021 09:18

I can imagine it being pronounced like Frasier with more emphasis on the ‘j’ sound.

Rathmobhaile · 09/03/2021 09:20

Even if it's historically accurate to include the j it will a lifetime of reminding people to put it in or people trying to include it in pronouncing it. I wouldn't include it.

Easterbunnygettingready · 09/03/2021 09:20

I know a Freyja.. She gets Fridga. Fridge +a. Not nice..
Freya is lovely..

Labobo · 09/03/2021 09:20

Love the name but would spell it Freya as it will be mis-spelled this way by everyone all the time anyway. As someone who has a name with numerous alternate spellings I get so sick of people never being able to find me on their booking systems because they are one letter out. Just use the mainstream spelling.
Such a gorgeous name.

Borntohula · 09/03/2021 09:23

It's pretty obvious the 'j' is silent ffs

seven201 · 09/03/2021 09:27

I have a family member who is a Freya. I vote Freya.

ohwotsits · 09/03/2021 09:33

Freya Astrid is lovely OP!

Lostinthewilderness · 09/03/2021 09:34

Definitely spell it Freya.

It’s also exceptionally popular, if that bothers you - I know loads

Easterbunnygettingready · 09/03/2021 09:44

What is your surname initial op?
FA?

BugsAndBeesAndBirdsAndButterfl · 09/03/2021 09:46

Definitely Freya.

RizzleRazzle · 09/03/2021 10:02

@Easterbunnygettingready

What is your surname initial op?
FA?

My surname initial is 'B' which would've been great if her initials were FAB but we're using DPs surname which is 'I'
OP posts:
RizzleRazzle · 09/03/2021 10:05

Thanks for your input everyone, I do agree with you. Just need to convince DP now! He's very much in to mythology and really passionate about using the authentic spelling but I already see myself registering her at the doctors or wherever and having to constantly say "It's Freyja with a J".

We really like Astrid but are also big fans of The Office US and recently watched the episode where Michael calls Jan's baby "ass turd" which I can't get out of my head now!

OP posts:
MimiDaisy11 · 09/03/2021 10:07

Isn't the original pronounced differently? I knew a Dane called Freyja and it was pronounced differently to how we would say it.

I agree with others that the original doesn't do much other than give your daughter the job of spelling it out and correcting people. Though it's not such a big deal now (lots of internet forms compared to phone calls) and if she doesn't get annoyed at having her name spelt incorrectly then it's not such a big deal.

Amdone123 · 09/03/2021 10:11

I prefer Freya, too. Beautiful name. My granddaughter was Freya all along, but changed at the last minute to Esme.
Good luck persuading your OH !

JemimaTiggywinkle · 09/03/2021 10:15

Definitely spell it without the j... it just looks like a typo and will be a constant pain. And you might get some weird pronunciations.

Freya is a well established spelling. Spellings change over hundreds of years. Presumably nothing else in your life is spelled in the Old Norse version.

Needcoffeecoffeecoffee · 09/03/2021 10:16

Freya is a lovely name as is Astrid
I am not sure about the j if you said freya with a j I think I may unfortunately have to check where the j went

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

boltfromtheblueblue · 09/03/2021 10:20

but I already see myself registering her at the doctors or wherever and having to constantly say "It's Freyja with a J"

In which case most people would then spell it Freja, which is the second common spelling after Freya. No-one will spell it with a y and a j without being told. And reminded. Don't do it.

Kottbullar · 09/03/2021 10:30

but I already see myself registering her at the doctors or wherever and having to constantly say "It's Freyja with a J"

I have a friend with a DD called Freyja. He put a huge rant on FB when she was small after stating for some form or other she was "Freyja with a j" and the receptionist in question first put Jreya then Freja.
He was even more furious when someone posted perhaps they should have just called her Freya!

Easterbunnygettingready · 09/03/2021 10:34

Wanted you to check your dc wouldn't be FAJ /FAT!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.