My feed

to access all these features


AIBU to think that if my friend is earning £70K + her husband should NOT be claiming incapacity benefits?

28 replies

sponkle · 12/06/2008 12:28

I'm thinking it's outrageous and that I should say something to her/authorities...what do you think?

OP posts:
beansprout · 12/06/2008 12:29

Is the claim not legit?

BouncingTurtle · 12/06/2008 12:30

It depends - is incapacity benefit means tested?
If it is there YANBU, but if it isn't and he is genuinely unable to work through illness/disability then YABU.

TheHedgeWitch · 12/06/2008 12:30

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

CountessDracula · 12/06/2008 12:31

It isn't means tested

poorbuthappy · 12/06/2008 12:31

I don't think incapacity benefit is a means tested benefit so I don't think it makes much difference...

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong...

BouncingTurtle · 12/06/2008 12:31

Take child benefit - millionaires can claim child benefit for their kids because they are entitled to it, but I guess the paperwork is not worth the hassle

misdee · 12/06/2008 12:31

its not means tested.

BouncingTurtle · 12/06/2008 12:32

Ahh thanks CD - I thought it wasn't but wasn't 100% sure.
Sponkle - sorry in that case you are definitely BU.

Twinkie1 · 12/06/2008 12:33

If he is entitled to it he should claim it - if he is pulling a fast one dob them in!

CountessDracula · 12/06/2008 12:33

It is for people who can't work because they are ill

Is he ill?

You have to have qualified by making appropriate NI contributions

sponkle · 12/06/2008 12:34

thanks for the info on this I was totally unaware that it is not means tested which is why I asked the question. Ok seems I am being VVV unreasonable then, just seems odd that they get extra help on an income around 3x larger than my husbands and mine.

OP posts:
DanJARMouse · 12/06/2008 12:35

Dont know whats outrageous about it. My DH claims IB, but then again, that is one of the only sources of income we have, but it isnt means tested.

If he is entitled, then he should claim.

2point4kids · 12/06/2008 12:37

their income may be 3 times larger than yours, but your income will be 3 times larger than someones income too and i bet you still get child benefit....

kitsmummy · 12/06/2008 12:39

Sounds like Sponkle's jealous. Maybe you'd like to be incapacitated too and then you could claim?

HappyNewYearFeet06 · 12/06/2008 13:13

My sister moans because we get carers allowance and disability allowance each month for our ds.

However, she can have our ds to look after and I would quite happily hand over the money too. She wouldn't cope, we get the benefits for a reason no matter how big or small a persons income, they are entitled to it.

The same with child benefit as mentioned before.

pagwatch · 12/06/2008 13:15

Absoloutely Happy
My son gets DLA and I get very puzzled looks.

WanderingTrolley · 12/06/2008 13:16

Which would you prefer, your good health or his 'extra help'?

bentneckwine1 · 12/06/2008 13:17

If the gentleman receives Incapacity Benefit then it will be because he has paid National Insurance contributions when working...and that his statutory sick pay from his employers has now finished.(aprox 196days)His employers will have been the ones to issue him with claim papers for Incapacity Benefit as they are obliged to notify you of the benefit when the statutory sick pay comes to an end.

I think it helps if you consider the Welfare State to be akin to house insurance pay into the insurance scheme and claim out when something unexpected (fire/illness) happens.

People who have not worked or paid N.I. contributions will not be entitled. (Apart from a few exceptions to allow for people being incapacitated from a very young age)

I am sure that they still have their mortgage and other outgoings to pay from one salary now when previously they had two incomes.

HappyNewYearFeet06 · 12/06/2008 13:19

Exactly wanderingtrolley. People moan, yet to receive these kinds of benefits people are ill and/or disabled.

I would much rather have my son in good health if we were to be perfectly honest (although wouldn't change him for the world).

kiskideesameanoldmother · 12/06/2008 13:19

If we are taxed as individuals rather than as couples, then we ought to receive benefits as individuals, not as couples.


SheikYerbouti · 12/06/2008 13:20


Stop being so judgemental.

Blandmum · 12/06/2008 13:21

My husband gets IB, and has been quite highly paid.

He is dying of cancer.

Would you care to swap places with him, and get his benefit (which he has paid for in over 20 years of paying his dues?). Because if you do, I know he'd swap places in a heart beat

Cappuccino · 12/06/2008 13:26

no it isn't means tested

I'm on incapacity benefit atm and my dh works - tho admittedly not for £70k a year

but my wage is needed to pay for day to day living expenses - it may be teeny teeny tiny but we still need it to live on. Your friend with the £70k husband may have a massive mortgage taken out at a time when they fully expected her to be able to contribute

and besides, why shouldn't I claim it? I have paid my NI contributions for precisely this eventuality

I don't want to be ill, I want to be at work

and however tiny my income is, it is still better than the £245 a month I get on incapacity benefit - it's hardly like the government are funding my champagne lifestyle


Cappuccino · 12/06/2008 13:27

government is

Dropdeadfred · 12/06/2008 13:31

I symapthise with those who have had to claim this /partners have had to claim it. BUt I don't think making the OP feel like shit is really necessary. She wrongly assumed they were claiming something they shouldn't - she now stands corrected.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.