My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Want this job! How soon is too soon for a follow up email?

28 replies

Toocoldtogoouttoday · 28/02/2024 12:42

A friend told me about a job going that would suit my situation with my young Dd perfectly, it’s a step down qualifications wise, but I’m looking less stressful position with part time hours and school holidays off. I emailed the address she gave me, the lady replied and cc’d another lady in charge of admissions and I forwarded the email. This was early Monday morning. I haven’t received a reply yet (I didn’t include a cv yet) would you send a follow up email or just wait?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

17 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
65%
You are NOT being unreasonable
35%
feedbackhq · 28/02/2024 12:43

This reply has been deleted

This has been deleted by MNHQ for breaking our Talk Guidelines - previously banned poster.

Spidey66 · 28/02/2024 12:45

Is there a closure date?

DeedlessIndeed · 28/02/2024 12:49

I'd wait a couple of days before emailing.

I am responsible for hiring for my team as not every company has dedicated recruiters. This is on top of my usual duties, so sometimes it slips by a day or so if I have very tight deadline or emergency cases I need to prioritise.

I fully encourage being proactive and love when candidates reach out and show enthusiasm, but give it a day or two. You don't want to be seen as a pushy!

BeakyBlinders · 28/02/2024 12:49

2 days isn't long, if I was following it up at all it would only be to say here is my CV as I didn't send this on Monday when I made contact. But I wouldnt chase a reply at this stage.

Toocoldtogoouttoday · 28/02/2024 12:51

@feedbackhq Not advertised, my friend let me know as they’re due to look for people

OP posts:
Toocoldtogoouttoday · 28/02/2024 12:51

@Spidey66 No closure date I don’t think

OP posts:
Toocoldtogoouttoday · 28/02/2024 12:52

@DeedlessIndeed Ok great, thank you, yes I want to seem enthusiastic, but not too pushy and annoying!

OP posts:
Silverbirchtwo · 28/02/2024 12:52

Send the CV they probably can't consider you without it.

feedbackhq · 28/02/2024 12:53

This has been deleted by MNHQ for breaking our Talk Guidelines - previously banned poster.

Toocoldtogoouttoday · 28/02/2024 12:53

@BeakyBlinders True, I’ll wait, I think it was because the original lady got back to me the next day and I’m also quick with email replies

OP posts:
feedbackhq · 28/02/2024 12:53

Rosesanddaisies1 · 28/02/2024 12:53

I'd definitely give it a couple of days, most likely they'll go out with a formal advert so you'd have to apply then

Toocoldtogoouttoday · 28/02/2024 12:53

@feedbackhq Shes part of the company

OP posts:
Toocoldtogoouttoday · 28/02/2024 12:55

@feedbackhq She has told me the general pay and I know the role etc

OP posts:
feedbackhq · 28/02/2024 12:55

BookwormDadUK · 28/02/2024 12:56

When I hire, I very rarely receive that sort of follow up email and so it always gets my attention. I make a point of reading that CV. Keep it short and explain why you're really motivated to apply for this specific role. Very best of luck 😊

Toocoldtogoouttoday · 28/02/2024 13:03

@BookwormDadUK When should I send a follow up email with cv do you think? (If she doesn’t reply)

OP posts:
AndiOliversGlasses · 28/02/2024 13:05

I would just have sent the CV with the first email. Probability not a good idea to send it now, but in future that is fine to do unless a company has a specific online application process and, even then, they would just ask you to fill that in and ignore the CV. But if you send it from the get-go, they are likely to take a quick look and start thinking of you as a person rather than just a name.

BookwormDadUK · 28/02/2024 13:07

I agree with pp, if it's been two business days then I would leave it for today and follow up around lunchtime tomorrow. Avoids it falling through the Friday cracks.

feedbackhq · 28/02/2024 13:22

Toocoldtogoouttoday · 28/02/2024 13:27

@feedbackhq It doesn’t always matter if it’s been advertised? I’ve sent my cv and details to places in the past, in the event they are ever looking for someone. I’ve been contacted later on and got jobs in that way previously

OP posts:
feedbackhq · 28/02/2024 13:29

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

feedbackhq · 28/02/2024 13:30

Butchyrestingface · 28/02/2024 13:31

Toocoldtogoouttoday · 28/02/2024 13:27

@feedbackhq It doesn’t always matter if it’s been advertised? I’ve sent my cv and details to places in the past, in the event they are ever looking for someone. I’ve been contacted later on and got jobs in that way previously

Presumably that was a generic enquiry though, and not for a specific role (as in this case)?

I wouldn't have sent any email for a specific role without the post being advertised first but maybe I'm just old-fashioned.

DaisyCat33 · 28/02/2024 13:38

If it were me I'd maybe wait til Monday, then follow up with your CV and a polite but enthusiastic message about how excited you are about the possibility of working with them.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.