Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think the new see a pharmacist thing could be a disaster

147 replies

Dancebaby1989 · 06/02/2024 12:44

So really unwell yesterday and today- massive swollen tonsils, temperature, headache, red blisters in throat, tonsil stone. Decided to do an e consultation for GP and they booked me into to the pharmacist under the new government scheme- no issues at all.
get to pharmacist and he gets out a book of flow charts and when I explaining my symptoms is sat googling them and words from the flow chart- asked him if he need me to explain anything as am a nurse and he stated he had received no formal training they had just provided the flow charts.
end consultant and prescription complete but he never actually did any observations or even looked at my throat and while I know I need them I feel this is such a poor role out of this (not his fault) and could be dangerous

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

317 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
16%
You are NOT being unreasonable
84%
ThanksAntsThants23 · 06/02/2024 19:38

I got antibiotics for a mild uti and from my pharmacist and it was great, didn’t need an appointment just walked in waited 5 mins to be seen, did the flow chart thing and away with the antibiotics.

I got the feeling the pharmacist (older male) felt incredibly uncomfortable asking the necessary questions and kept apologising for asking them so maybe he’s not a fan of the scheme but I found it a very smooth process and much less hassle than a dr appointment.

The criteria for being prescribed by the pharmacist seems quite strict and from the Qs asked I don’t think they would have given them if you had a fever or any blood etc. I was given instructions to contact gp if symptoms worsened or didn’t improve within 48 hours, if I didn’t follow those and made myself really unwell then I’d only have myself to blame!

Frenzi · 06/02/2024 19:40

GP's google too. Quite a lot of the time actually!

ThanksAntsThants23 · 06/02/2024 19:42

glusky · 06/02/2024 18:12

I have twice been to a pharmacist with a child with shingles, asking them if it might be shingles. Both times they categorically told me it wasn't. One time it was because "children don't get shingles" but the GP I saw a few days later told me it had got very common in children recently.

I don't mean to be negative but given our personal experience it's hard not to be. Pharmacists have a really important role and are highly trained, but I'm not convinced they are highly trained in clinical aspects like diagnosing skin conditions.

My child was diagnosed with shingles by a pharmacist and sent to GP for confirmation, he was a very fresh faced, young pharmacist who can’t have been particularly experienced but he knew what it was straight away.

LadyWithLapdog · 06/02/2024 19:43

@Despair132 nice try, but the problem is one of austerity, cuts, corruption and underspending, all political decisions made by the Tories these past 14 years.

Despair132 · 06/02/2024 19:47

LadyWithLapdog · 06/02/2024 19:43

@Despair132 nice try, but the problem is one of austerity, cuts, corruption and underspending, all political decisions made by the Tories these past 14 years.

except I’m right it’s called Math. And are you really so foolish not to realise no matter how much money you throw at something you can’t magic dentists out of thin air. If your on an island with 10 people you can throw all the coconuts on the island you want you won’t suddenly create a dentist. People need to be trained and takes time and since when I asked my dentist why they can’t take more nhs patients they said because they had 300 new signups from the hotels in the area please explain to me how your math works. So surgery has 3 dentists the ratio doubles per dentist and in your world it’s just about money. What a load of bull you exactly the person that when it gets to critical point and you don’t get any treatment you will act dumbfounded.

LadyWithLapdog · 06/02/2024 19:49

@Despair132 you sound a bit of a forriner yourself, what with Math and your poor punctuation. I think you’re detailing the thread. There must be a better place for your efforts.

Despair132 · 06/02/2024 19:52

LadyWithLapdog · 06/02/2024 19:49

@Despair132 you sound a bit of a forriner yourself, what with Math and your poor punctuation. I think you’re detailing the thread. There must be a better place for your efforts.

I mean it’s just funny how you complain that the pharmacy system has to be implemented because the GPs don’t have the resources and you flat out can’t understand that if there are more people per GP then the service gets degraded. This is basic shit a five year old could work this out.

BritneyBookClubPresident · 06/02/2024 19:52

I use a pharmacy as much as I can for colds/headaches etc to minimise use of GP appointments. I'm in Scotland.

The challenge now is my pharmacy is so incredibly busy since COVID. In theory when I collect my prescription which is couriered from the GP to pharmacy it should be ready 3 working days later. It never is, even if I turn up late on day 4 I'll be told to come back in at least 2 hours. They just always seem short-staffed and under pressure. My surgery do not allow prescriptions to be collected in person so having it delivered to a pharmacy is the only option.

I've tried other pharmacies in the area (that do not allow prescriptions to be delivered there) on a walk-in basis for a chat or a drop off prescription they are just as busy.

LadyWithLapdog · 06/02/2024 19:55

@Despair132 are you replying to me, specifically? I didn’t complain. I said I don’t see how the pharmacists have the time for it and they definitely don’t have the training. It’s an accident waiting to happen. Shall we leave it here? Rant away, I won’t reply.

Gingernaut · 06/02/2024 19:56

Many pharmacies already worked doing a 'Minor & Trivial Illness' program, with some (in the West Midlands, at least) participating in the #ByeByeUTI

It's a struggle to know who is doing what now

MiTI AND Pharmacy First
MiTI
Pharmacy First

Training has been spotty and some pharmacies have stopped MiTI in preparation for PF, but haven't started PF, and some pharmacies aren't bothering because they're closing down soon, so some areas have/will have no cover at all

Wishiwasatailor · 06/02/2024 20:00

if the pharmacists are not prescribers they are essentially working in a similar way to non prescribing nurses in minor injury/urgent care units.
they have a set criteria for who and what they can treat with clear inclusion and exclusion criteria. Typically it’s all been very rushed though

mycatsanutter · 06/02/2024 20:04

I'm a GP receptionist and the scheme is really helping at the moment , when we open at 8.30 on a Monday all our appointments can all be gone within 20 minutes . But now after that 20 minutes anyone with any of the ailments can be referred through the pharmacy scheme . We are trying not to inundate the pharmacy thou as it's early days . People asking what the GP's are doing , ones at our practice are flat out all day every day and aren't dealing with the tonsillitis/ chest infections/ insect bites that's the nurses are capable of dealing with.

DeathMetalMum · 06/02/2024 20:09

This service is available in Wales but the pharmacists who prescribe are actually trained independent prescribers. They have done a 12 month prescribing course which would include some form of mentoring/shadowing. The pharmacist I know who has done this did numerous sessions alongside a GP in out of hours settings, as well as a written elements to the course.

When they see paitents they do a full consultation, taking temp and sats and any other necessary checks depending on what the paitent is seeing the pharmacist for. They also have access to GP medication records and the consultation is shared with GP to avoid any issues with interactions with existing medication. This sevice has been running for around two years in Wales with more and more pharmacist's completing the training.

It seems that England has rolled the system out slightly differently. Many pharmacists will know what antibiotics a GP is going to prescribe, for acute conditions its generally a standard choise of antibiotics. However in the past those that are not trained to prescribe can only leagally offer OTC products or reccomend GP/OOH/A&E.

PerfectYear321 · 06/02/2024 20:44

Sunnnybunny72 · 06/02/2024 18:42

Also had a patient today who's gone with a blocked ear. They told her to start putting olive oil in. Never even looked in her ear!!

To be fair that's what GPs do these days. Either tell you to use drops or prescribe antibiotics over the phone without examining you

Imnotabigbeliever · 06/02/2024 20:46

Where are they getting all these pharmacists from, there are less pharmacists round here than there are GO appointments!

PerfectYear321 · 06/02/2024 20:48

Despair132 · 06/02/2024 19:37

This is what you get with too many extra people. Amazes me people don’t understand this even today on the news they act dumbfounded that there was a mile long queue out of new dentist and saying it’s nhs problem, underfunding etc no it’s simple math more people same amount of dentists equals more people per dentist so not enough spaces. as most new arrivals are not contributing at all it just going to get worse with the population expected to increase 10% by 2036 which will likely be more than that as they underestimated it on the last census. I just find it funny people are starting to notice the cracks and it’s too late to reverse it. This what you get voting with your feelings.

This situation has only worsened with the last 14 years of Tories so I take it you're saying not to vote Tory?

PerfectYear321 · 06/02/2024 20:51

Despair132 · 06/02/2024 19:47

except I’m right it’s called Math. And are you really so foolish not to realise no matter how much money you throw at something you can’t magic dentists out of thin air. If your on an island with 10 people you can throw all the coconuts on the island you want you won’t suddenly create a dentist. People need to be trained and takes time and since when I asked my dentist why they can’t take more nhs patients they said because they had 300 new signups from the hotels in the area please explain to me how your math works. So surgery has 3 dentists the ratio doubles per dentist and in your world it’s just about money. What a load of bull you exactly the person that when it gets to critical point and you don’t get any treatment you will act dumbfounded.

So I take it you won't be voting Tory then? The 'hotels' have increased exponentially since they've been in power these last 14 years

ohtowinthelottery · 06/02/2024 22:26

glusky · 06/02/2024 18:12

I have twice been to a pharmacist with a child with shingles, asking them if it might be shingles. Both times they categorically told me it wasn't. One time it was because "children don't get shingles" but the GP I saw a few days later told me it had got very common in children recently.

I don't mean to be negative but given our personal experience it's hard not to be. Pharmacists have a really important role and are highly trained, but I'm not convinced they are highly trained in clinical aspects like diagnosing skin conditions.

@glusky I was told exactly the same for my DD by a GP working as a locum at our practice.

daffodilandtulip · 06/02/2024 22:35

Pharmacists are highly trained and intelligent people.

However, it's the same as everything else this government has introduced - poor consultation with the people actually having to take on the extra work, ill planned, last minute instructions and poorly funded.

MattieandmummyandIs · 06/02/2024 23:12

I am not all convinced about the new enhanced pharmacist role, 111 sent myself and my unwell 18 month old to see our new enhanced pharmacist. Poor lady clearly had no idea what to do, looked absolutely terrified and told me she couldn't say what was wrong with my baby and wasn't qualified to diagnose. Complete waste of everyone's time! I will definitely be declining that as an option next it's offered by 111.

Sunnnybunny72 · 07/02/2024 07:08

PerfectYear321 not when the patient is standing in front of you.

SpeedyDrama · 07/02/2024 07:11

Used this service, completely useless and now have to fight to get back to the doctors again. Will not use it again unless absolutely no option.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Sunnnybunny72 · 07/02/2024 07:11

Berlioz23 · 06/02/2024 19:20

@Sunnnybunny72 surely adults tend not to have foreign body’s down their ear canals unless they use ear bud but you’d ask about that, if a child sure who knows what they might stick down. Also with a perforation, it would be highly unlikely the ear would feel blocked if they hadn’t had pain a few days earlier, due to otitis media. An otoscope examination does not take 10s, most people don’t even go to the pharmacy for ear wax, they just buy it at home bargains…

But you don't know for sure it's wax unless you look.
It most likely was. Just have a look.
Sloppy.

CormorantStrikesBack · 07/02/2024 07:17

If all we need is a flow chart maybe we can just cut out the pharmacist and prescribe our own antibiotics?

Mrsjayy · 07/02/2024 07:21

we have had "see a pharmacist " for years it works absolutely fine and means you can go at your convenience with a minor ailment they also give antibiotics for utis etc. op you are just unsure of change but there is no need to be scared of it.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.