Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think the new see a pharmacist thing could be a disaster

147 replies

Dancebaby1989 · 06/02/2024 12:44

So really unwell yesterday and today- massive swollen tonsils, temperature, headache, red blisters in throat, tonsil stone. Decided to do an e consultation for GP and they booked me into to the pharmacist under the new government scheme- no issues at all.
get to pharmacist and he gets out a book of flow charts and when I explaining my symptoms is sat googling them and words from the flow chart- asked him if he need me to explain anything as am a nurse and he stated he had received no formal training they had just provided the flow charts.
end consultant and prescription complete but he never actually did any observations or even looked at my throat and while I know I need them I feel this is such a poor role out of this (not his fault) and could be dangerous

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

317 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
16%
You are NOT being unreasonable
84%
noblegiraffe · 06/02/2024 13:35

All the pharmacies near us have closed down. Who are all these pharmacists with spare time to do extra stuff to patch up for the failings of the government?

They keep trying to shove more stuff on schools too when we don’t have the capacity.

girlfriend44 · 06/02/2024 13:36

I asked at the pharmacy counter what they thought, they said it will put more pressure on them.

MariaVT65 · 06/02/2024 13:39

Teasie123 · 06/02/2024 12:50

Honestly, my local pharmacist is so much more knowledgeable than doctors sometimes. He's on the ,'front line ', so to speak and he has such a wide knowledge of various things, viruses that are going around, what medication works best and what things to try. My doctor has perscribed me medication that has been discontinued or not in circulation any more. 😬😬😬😬

Yep, also had a GP recently try to prescribe my daughter something I already knew to be banned!

But yeah I also haven’t met any pharmacists who know what they are doing. Basic example is recently having no idea what cough medicines were suitable for me as a pregnant woman.

My main concern is that I don’t feel like anyone is getting any updated training.

mumstheword001 · 06/02/2024 13:45

I agree partly with your point. I think in terms of the extra stress this will put under pharmacists will be immense. Pharmacists are now expected to do more services ( as this is more profitable for Pharmacies) however every pharmacy I know and have worked in have been severely understaffed. On any given day a pharmacist could have, prescriptions to check, end of life, blue scripts, people waning to speak to the pharmacist and referrals from 111….and now this?

the training received has been extensive but it’s just pages and pages to read, e-learnings and flowcharts. This training has to be done in your own time and no face to face training given.
For what it’s worth pharmacists are degree educated and had to study for 5 years. And many times have stopped medication interactions not picked up by the GP. Don’t be fooled, just because we work within a supermarket or retail setting we don’t just “stick stickers on medication”. Yes I’ve had that said to me.

Berlioz23 · 06/02/2024 13:48

@TheShellBeach sorry the 2nd paragraph for wasn’t you, just poking fun as you’re always one of the first in a pharmacist thread 😊

Berlioz23 · 06/02/2024 13:49

@MariaVT65 are you confusing pharmacy dispensers with pharmacists? No cough medication that works is suitable for pregnant women

Overtheatlantic · 06/02/2024 13:50

My local pharmacist is highly trained and trustworthy, excellent at diagnosing skin conditions.

TheShellBeach · 06/02/2024 13:51

Berlioz23 · 06/02/2024 13:48

@TheShellBeach sorry the 2nd paragraph for wasn’t you, just poking fun as you’re always one of the first in a pharmacist thread 😊

But I never mentioned a sore throat.

MariaVT65 · 06/02/2024 13:52

Berlioz23 · 06/02/2024 13:49

@MariaVT65 are you confusing pharmacy dispensers with pharmacists? No cough medication that works is suitable for pregnant women

No i am not confusing them. The dispenser didn’t know so asked the pharmacist in front of me.

Pharmacist said bronchostop was suitable for me and I said I have it at home and it literally says on the box it’s not suitable for pregnant women.

spanishviola · 06/02/2024 13:52

NotARealWookiie · 06/02/2024 13:00

A lot of it isn’t anything new - for example pharmacists can already do antibiotics for uti’s and the algorithm has a low bar for declining and signposting to GP. However I do have concerns that no one is doing basic observations and things like sepsis will be missed.

I’m not concerned about this because I have been signposted to A&E when I’ve had a serious asthma attack. I’d gone in for some cough medicine because I’d had a chest infection and he picked up that my cough wasn’t because of that. I spent over a week in hospital. In general, I find my local pharmacists extremely knowledgeable.

OP, I suspect your pharmacist is learning the system if he is having to go through flow charts. I’ve often been to a pharmacist abroad who has been able to prescribe antibiotics and think it is a good thing in general.

Berlioz23 · 06/02/2024 13:53

@TheShellBeach i know, never mind

Bargello · 06/02/2024 13:54

We have had this system in Scotland for a while and I've used it a couple of times when I have had a UTI. I knew I had a UTI, have had them before, no underlying conditions. Quick 5 minute chat with the pharmacist and leave 5 minutes later with a prescription. Far better than seeing a GP.

TheShellBeach · 06/02/2024 13:55

Berlioz23 · 06/02/2024 13:53

@TheShellBeach i know, never mind

Why did you mention it, then?

<<baffled>>

vacay · 06/02/2024 13:55

So what do the gp's do these days then ? Not trying to be rude here but since Covid it's been an absolute nightmare trying to see a doctor properly and seems like it's only just becoming more like it used to be, and now we're being told to go to the pharmacy

Berlioz23 · 06/02/2024 13:57

@MariaVT65 ah I see, bronchostop would be very unlikely to have done you or baby any harm as it’s only for the manufacturers sake that’s put on but they shouldn’t have recommended it, only medications with a strong evidence base and safety profile should be sold to pregnant women. They let you down on that occasion.

Veggie1961 · 06/02/2024 13:58

Pharmacists already overworked. All chemists are chaos !Terrible idea .

annonymousse · 06/02/2024 13:58

I wonder how long it will be before pharmacists start to crumble under the extra workload or find it's not financially viable and we end up with a situation like the nhs dentists.

Berlioz23 · 06/02/2024 13:59

@TheShellBeach what I meant was you’re always the first on a pharmacist bashing thread. Nothing to do with throats, the paragraph under the quote as I said had nothing to do with you.

MariaVT65 · 06/02/2024 13:59

I would personally welcome the introduction of getting my contraception pill and emergency antibiotics for UTIs from a pharmacist, but that’s only because I know what I need and what the symptoms are.

Beautyofthedark · 06/02/2024 14:08

Blathermoa · 06/02/2024 13:09

I saw a pharmacist who was absolutely adamant that my son had chickenpox when he clearly didn't (and was bloody rude about it in the process), so I can't say that I would trust their judgment particularly highly.

To be fair, I had a GP do the same.

I was on the fence between chickenpox and hand, foot and mouth (though closer to hand, foot and mouth), but completely trusted the GP when they said chickenpox.

Two years later when my DS actually did have chickenpox (caught from his older sister who funnily enough hadn't caught 'it' two years prior), it was blatantly obvious that he had had hand, foot and mouth previously. One single spot on his torso, the rest was concentrated around his hands, wrists, feet, legs and mouth. It was, admittedly, a bad case of HFM, but HFM nonetheless, and I am still a bit annoyed/shocked that the GP with all their experience was so incompetent.

Pythonesque · 06/02/2024 14:15

noblegiraffe · 06/02/2024 13:35

All the pharmacies near us have closed down. Who are all these pharmacists with spare time to do extra stuff to patch up for the failings of the government?

They keep trying to shove more stuff on schools too when we don’t have the capacity.

Unlike with schools and GPs, I think that pharmacists may get an explicit activity payment for the extras they are asked to do. Which doesn't completely solve the time problem but does leverage it rather differently.

BenjaminBunnyRabbit · 06/02/2024 14:18

My Mum's pharmacist is amazing. He's super knowledgeable and remembers all of my Mum's ailments and gives great advice. Her GP practise on the other hand are a shower of shit. They are truly dreadful and I wonder how she managed until I stepped in to help with managing appointments and prescriptions.

Like all NHS offerings, there will be winners and losers.....

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Beautyofthedark · 06/02/2024 14:18

It's got to be better than a GP receptionist giving out antibiotics...

Called GP last week as DS6 had had a wheezy, whistling cough for four weeks (and not the type to call for every minor cough, usually let them play out, and he's only ever had antibiotics once previously for impetigo). No telephone consultations left, so the receptionist just said she would just get the GP to prescribe some antibiotics!

I mean, obviously she would have had to speak to the GP, but surely that goes against proper procedures?! Didn't get seen, but also didn't even get to speak to the GP?!

I didn't even ask for them...

What happened to GPs being more cautious about antibiotic prescribing?

oakleaffy · 06/02/2024 14:29

Thementalloadisreal · 06/02/2024 13:23

It is going to be beneficial in some ways.

For instance recently someone I know was given an incorrect prescription, for something they’re allergic to. The pharmacist was perfectly capable of changing to the safe equivalent but not allowed to, the doctors was close to closing and it was a panicked dash to get the GP to reissue a new prescription.
A few times times now I’ve had prescriptions for a product in one strength and the pharmacy has only had a different strength available. Fine just take two of these instead of one of those. But that’s not allowed, have to go through the doctors surgery, another phone call, another task for the GP.

Also if you can tell somethings infected, like tonsils, or a wound, being able to get antibiotics from a pharmacy is handy because doctors appointments are so hard to get.

EDIT to add, I’ve also been given a prescription for something not available from the out of hours clinic via 111 which was awful as there was no way of getting back in touch with them to get it reissued and pharmacists weren’t allowed to prescribe an alternative. In that scenario it would mean another day on 111 callback, or a trip to A&E?

Edited

With shortage of certain drugs not having it in stock or rocketing in price is an issue.

I get a branded painkiller, but if the pharmacy can’t order it, they aren’t allowed to give a generic which is nuts.
It’s faff getting a new prescription and the old one cancelled.

I would go for the generic, except it doesn’t seem to be as effective.

Our Pharmacist is rushed off his feet- he’s always busy .
An independent not a chain.

VesperLind · 06/02/2024 14:38

DS2 is at uni. He’s got tonsillitis and hasn’t been able to get a GP appointment so I sent him a link to the info about Pharmacy First. He’s been to the pharmacy this morning, had a consultation and got ABs.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.