My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think someone in a taxi should not queue to go into centre parcs?

27 replies

toqueue · 05/02/2024 12:38

I know this is petty but it's annoying me.

I'm on a SM group about our local centre parcs. A lady has asked about the arrival day if you are not driving (she is getting a taxi). Where to leave bags/ etc She's going with 4 children.

I said when she gets into the site the road branches off, left for 'guests' right for 'spa' but they both join up again close to the check in lodge. Depending on the time you arrive the guest queue can be 10 mins or an hour so she's hardly going to sit there with the taxi meter running. I said to take the road for spa. The taxi will be able to get her about 100m from the check in lodge where they can hop out and walk the rest and the taxi can turn around.

This is the response I have had from others ''still kinda crap to skip the queue though. I was pissed that people did this while we waited. I said it at reception. NOT acceptable for most people to wait an hour and others breeze on in because they don't drive themselves or because they feel entitled. Bad and ignorant advice''

Others have similar sentiments about her 'jumping the queue'

If people arriving in their own cars did that, yes I would think they were CF's but I think this is different.

YABU - She should queue either in the taxi or on foot with the 4 kids
YANBU - She should have the taxi drop her as close to the check in lodge as possible and walk the rest.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

223 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
26%
You are NOT being unreasonable
74%
Barleysugar86 · 05/02/2024 12:40

Presumably the queue is to park? So not relevant for her. She'd wait accordingly in any hotel check in queue presumably. It frees the car queue up for those that need the car park- seems sensible all round to me!

SgtJuneAckland · 05/02/2024 12:41

You have to queue for an hour to get into centre parcs?! What fresh hell is this. It's ridiculous that anyone is expected to do that to stay in a shed with access to buffet restaurants and a pool

InAnotherLifetimeMaybe · 05/02/2024 12:42

The answer is clear.....avoid the cesspit that is 'center parcs'

Jovacknockowitch · 05/02/2024 12:44

SgtJuneAckland · 05/02/2024 12:41

You have to queue for an hour to get into centre parcs?! What fresh hell is this. It's ridiculous that anyone is expected to do that to stay in a shed with access to buffet restaurants and a pool

A damp shed on our last visit (not going back).

toqueue · 05/02/2024 12:45

@Barleysugar86 you check into CP while still in your car before parking.

@SgtJuneAckland I've never had to queue for that long I think the longest was 20 mins. CPs works for lots of families for lots of reason. We can all agree it's OK to choose where you wish to take a holiday.

@InAnotherLifetimeMaybe You choice of holiday might not be mine. Works for us and we enjoy it

OP posts:
Jovacknockowitch · 05/02/2024 12:45

It seems like a no brainer to get dropped off - but how do you check in without a car? Go and stand behind a car that's checking in and wait until they are done then shuffle up to the window?
Presumably CP has some guidance for this?

toqueue · 05/02/2024 12:47

@Jovacknockowitch apparently not very much. I guess most people do arrive by car. This one anyway, there is a staff member there on check in days to talk to people so I'm sure they'll direct her to the right place.

OP posts:
JacksonLambsEatIvy · 05/02/2024 12:47

Does she enjoy being some sort of weird martyr? Is she going to make her kids stand in the road pretending they’re in a car and queue (like that stupid advert, but with more martyrdom)?

Obviously anyone not driving would get the taxi to drop her at centre parks and then walk to reception to check in.

DocOck · 05/02/2024 12:47

Queuing is such a British phenomenon.

ThereIbledit · 05/02/2024 12:48

Centre parcs brings out the worst in people.

JacksonLambsEatIvy · 05/02/2024 12:49

DocOck · 05/02/2024 12:47

Queuing is such a British phenomenon.

It’s not uniquely British. The Japanese love an orderly queue. And they’re better at queuing than us. 😁

But weird queuing martyrdom like this may be.

KreedKafer · 05/02/2024 12:50

Yeah, other people are being weird about this. She's not driving herself, she's being dropped off - so, whether she's being dropped off in a taxi or by a friend or whatever, it obviously makes a lot more sense for her to be dropped off wherever's most convenient for her to check in.

If there was a queue of cars waiting to get into a Tesco car park for shopping, you wouldn't expect someone without their own car to wait. You'd expect them to get dropped off as close as possible so they can walk past the cars and get on with their shopping. This is exactly the same principle.

GreenBanana445 · 05/02/2024 12:50

I would try to get the taxi to take her to the customer service office (next to the swimming pool in the CP I’ve been to), pop in to pick up a door key then get the taxi to drop them all at the lodge. Or if you know the lodge get the taco to take you there first then walk to get keys. Worth calling them as this may or may not be possible. I agree it’s silly to wait in a queue in an expensive taxi

SisterMichaelsHabit · 05/02/2024 12:50

Given that most of them will sit there with their engines running, burning up shit and dumping it into the atmosphere, they can get to fuck and she should spare the taxi and walk the last bit. The poor driver can get on with another job then. The people complaining to reception about "queue jumping" are arseholes.

aperolspritzbasicbitch · 05/02/2024 12:51

You can check in a guest services, we have done before - but only when told by a steward to do so once reaching the check in points at the main entrance.

It's a tricky one, because effectively they are correct, she is jumping the queue.

Why is her doing it any different from someone driving their own car doing it?

user1477391263 · 05/02/2024 12:51

The queue is there because cars take up a lot of space, both when they are moving and when they are parked. If everyone entered CP on foot, there would be close to zero queue.

If a person is not in a car because they booked a taxi and are moving their stuff by hand, they do not need to queue.

The people moaning about this sound like the sort of people who get angry when the cyclists in the cycle lane or the bus riders in the bus lane are going faster than them. If you want to go nice and fast, like those people are, then use a bike or bus!

toqueue · 05/02/2024 12:52

@JacksonLambsEatIvy no she doesn't want to be a 'pretend' car it was others on the group saying she'd be a CF to jump the queue and that I am giving bad advise as to where the taxi could drop her the closest.

You do check in, in your car. So she would be 'jumping' the queue but seriously I was surprised that people though it was cheeky. IDK what they think she should do.

OP posts:
DetachedJacobeanMansion · 05/02/2024 13:00

If you catch the CP shuttle bus from the nearest train station to the Woburn CP it drops you at the hotel to check in. Just think of all those people 'jumping the queue'!

MrsTingly · 05/02/2024 13:04

Of course she can’t stand in the car queue- there’s a different system for guests on foot. People are bonkers.

Boredmum24 · 05/02/2024 13:06

Only been to whinfell without a car and the taxi dropped us off at the gate lodge where we checked in. They stored our luggage and delivered it to the lodge later

mitogoshi · 05/02/2024 13:19

If you arrive on foot (or dropped off) you make your way to check in on foot, you don't queue with the cars. My friends arrived on the public bus recently!

Silvers11 · 05/02/2024 14:27

@toqueue I suggest your friend checks with the CP she is staying at to find out what to do. See there are acouple of posts as to what different CPs do in this scenario. One for Whinfell forest and the Other for Woburn

JustWhatWeDontNeed · 05/02/2024 14:36

Surely there's some sort of reception desk inside?

MajesticWhine · 05/02/2024 14:45

YANBU Of course you don't queue in a taxi. People are twats.

RedPinkPeach · 05/02/2024 14:46

Maybe she’ll pay for early check in? Or arrive before check in and leave her bags somewhere?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.