My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think you don't quite realise how badly the NHS is suffering until you witness it first hand

1000 replies

DaisyCat33 · 01/02/2024 20:40

My parents are sitting in A&E today. They've just hit 12 hours. My dad was sent there by his GP for severe neck pain this morning. He's had morphine and an MRI scan, but they're now endlessly waiting to see a Dr about results. He hasn't even got a bed to lay on, despite debilitating neck pain. Many people are standing or sitting on the floor.

The couple sitting next to them have been there since 3am, for difficultly breathing.

I'm shocked. Honestly I knew the NHS had it's issues, but this bad?! It's frightening. I also had an email the other day saying my NHS dentist is closing, and it's basically a "well sorry no dentist for you any more, bye bye"

I don't really know the point of this thread really, I just feel shocked and upset that this is how it is. And I think a lot of people don't even realise? My parents definitely didn't until today. They are losing the will to live sat in that hospital.

Does anyone else just feel utterly helpless and anxious about this?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1423 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
8%
You are NOT being unreasonable
92%
Naptrappedmummy · 01/02/2024 20:42

Yes. I’m desperate to emigrate.

Posted too soon: hope your dad gets well soon.

Parsley1234 · 01/02/2024 20:43

My father in law 89 was sat in a chair for 3 days and nights waiting for a bed this week. Bless that man so stoic he’s waiting for a colostomy that the operation will probably kill him but he was waiting to get a bed in agony

soupfiend · 01/02/2024 20:44

Yep, similar for my parent (85) some months back, rectal bleeding, quite bad, waited 13 hours, witnessing horror, violence, blood and shit everywhere from other people that were waiting, when finally seen (now and then) different information given by different doctors, he's a carer for mum and told them that, no adult safeguarding referral made fo rher or checks about what happens because he was then in hospital for days on end

KitKat1985 · 01/02/2024 20:46

As an NHS nurse, yes people don't realise how bad things are. I'm always amazed how many people still think an ambulance will be at their doors in a few minutes for something non-life threatening; or that they will be go to A&E and be seen in half an hour.

ZeppelinTits · 01/02/2024 20:46

Yes. I feel the same. I was on a bus where someone had a cardiac arrest a few days ago, and it took 18 minutes for the ambulance to arrive. For someone who wasn't breathing and being given CPR. It was scary and upsetting 😔

mizu · 01/02/2024 20:48

I have had similar experience recently. We rarely go to the doctor, usually fit and well.

We've visited A&E ( 2 different ones) in the last two weeks and my eyes have been opened.

First, hats off to the nurses who work there.

It was a grim experience-we were there 12 hours, around midnight to midday last week second time around ( first time we were told we shouldn't have really been there!) and some people had been there since the day before.

The system is not working, I can see that now. I don't know what the answer is but it is a scary prospect to need medical help and not necessarily be able to get it.

DaisyCat33 · 01/02/2024 20:48

ZeppelinTits · 01/02/2024 20:46

Yes. I feel the same. I was on a bus where someone had a cardiac arrest a few days ago, and it took 18 minutes for the ambulance to arrive. For someone who wasn't breathing and being given CPR. It was scary and upsetting 😔

That is frightening. I work in a special needs school, and a couple of years ago a child had a seizure. We waited 25 mins for an ambulance, her seizing the entire time. It was terrifying 😔

OP posts:
Froggy99 · 01/02/2024 20:49

DaisyCat33 · 01/02/2024 20:40

My parents are sitting in A&E today. They've just hit 12 hours. My dad was sent there by his GP for severe neck pain this morning. He's had morphine and an MRI scan, but they're now endlessly waiting to see a Dr about results. He hasn't even got a bed to lay on, despite debilitating neck pain. Many people are standing or sitting on the floor.

The couple sitting next to them have been there since 3am, for difficultly breathing.

I'm shocked. Honestly I knew the NHS had it's issues, but this bad?! It's frightening. I also had an email the other day saying my NHS dentist is closing, and it's basically a "well sorry no dentist for you any more, bye bye"

I don't really know the point of this thread really, I just feel shocked and upset that this is how it is. And I think a lot of people don't even realise? My parents definitely didn't until today. They are losing the will to live sat in that hospital.

Does anyone else just feel utterly helpless and anxious about this?

A member of mine gave up waiting after spending 10+ hours waiting and went home. They died a few days later.

chantelion · 01/02/2024 20:50

Yanbu and this is meant to be a first world country.

spanishviola · 01/02/2024 20:50

Froggy99 · 01/02/2024 20:49

A member of mine gave up waiting after spending 10+ hours waiting and went home. They died a few days later.

Oh lord! I’m so sorry.

DaisyCat33 · 01/02/2024 20:51

An update from my parents: they have finally been seen and just left. So just over 12 hours. Luckily my dad is ok.

Stories I'm reading on here are frightening and upsetting. How has it come to this?

OP posts:
HalloumiGeller · 01/02/2024 20:52

Oh god it's awful. Don't get me wrong it's not the staff, they're amazing and do the best they can under such challenging circumstances, but its clear that its so badly underfunded/mis managed.

QuiltedHippo · 01/02/2024 20:52

Awful, how doesn't it terrify those in charge. Unless you're royals you still need A&E for emergency treatment I belive? I've got private health insurance but it wouldn't help a heart attack or similar would it

Speckledpasta · 01/02/2024 20:52

It is terrible. What's most sad is we are slowly but surely becoming conditioned to accept this as the new normal.

Sofabum · 01/02/2024 20:52

A&e is busy here because the GP refuses to see anyone and tells them to go. I had to go recently for something life threatening and there were so many people there wanting antibiotics for sore throats and ingrown toenails. That would all have been dealt with by the gp a few years ago.

BudgetFoodie · 01/02/2024 20:53

I spent 36 hrs with my dad (82) in A & E it was like a war zone / field hospital he finally had a trolly after 36 hrs but it took another 14 hrs to get to a ward.

DaisyCat33 · 01/02/2024 20:55

I also just want anyone reading to know I absolutely do not blame the staff. They are doing all they can. My SIL is a healthcare assistant in children's A&E. She's a hero honestly, I couldn't do it.

OP posts:
Spectre8 · 01/02/2024 20:55

From my perspective ilthe GPs don't treat people enough anymore so symptoms pile up and cause bigger problems and then need to go to a&e

Preventative medicine seems ro have disappeared.

DeeplyMovingExperience · 01/02/2024 20:57

I had a serious fall down an escalator in a shopping centre, multiple fractures, told in no uncertain terms no help available, no ambulance, had to dragged to a taxi in agonising pain. Taken to A&E and it was unbelievably bad. I mean utterly shocking.

After 13 hours in that hellhole I was begging my DH to get me out of there. I won't go into the details but I wouldn't have treated a dog like that. Hospital said I couldn't leave with unstable fractures but offered no help, no bed, even left me to wet myself because I couldn't get to the loo.

If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes I would never have believed just how bad it is.

Spectre8 · 01/02/2024 20:57

Also the NHs offers far too many services to far too many people. So something has to give. I think the NHs should only br essential treatments only. The NHs wasn't created to cope with this many people either chucking more money at it won't resolve all the problems either

ThisIsMyHappyFacee · 01/02/2024 20:59

We need a rebellion. It's just so so terrible and disgraceful how the NHS treat people, purely the government's fault and NOT the staff. Please stand up and refuse this disgraceful treatment!

spanishviola · 01/02/2024 20:59

Also the NHs offers far too many services to far too many people. So something has to give. I think the NHs should only br essential treatments only. The NHs wasn't created to cope with this many people either chucking more money at it won't resolve all the problems either

The problem with that is that is what is happening at the moment. Non-essential things turn into urgent and life threatening issues. What the NHS needs is much more funding. There is money for it.

tiredwardsister · 01/02/2024 21:00

What essential treatments do you think the NHS should treat and what non essentials should it stop treating?

DaisyCat33 · 01/02/2024 21:01

Spectre8 · 01/02/2024 20:55

From my perspective ilthe GPs don't treat people enough anymore so symptoms pile up and cause bigger problems and then need to go to a&e

Preventative medicine seems ro have disappeared.

This isn't the case for my GP surgery. They are actually very good. I know this isn't the case for a lot of GP surgeries, but we definitely can't blame GPs entirely.

We also can't put the blame on people going to A&E when they have no other option. Basically yes, the problem is with the government.

OP posts:
Charlingspont · 01/02/2024 21:01

6 years ago - yes, 6 years - a boy broke his leg at lunchtime on the playground at my child's school. In winter. Am ambulance was called. The boy was still lying in the playground (covered in blankets by staff) when parents came to collect their children from after-school clubs.

Imagine the confusion of all the little children who'd seen it happen at lunchtime, and then come out at the end of the day to find him still there!

The ambulance issue has been going on a long time. The A&E issue is gradually worsening, and since COVID and Brexit, we've all learnt to accept the lack of GP appointments, and that we sometimes can't get certain medicines due to 'supply' issues.

Not sure why it's so bad, but it is frightening.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

This thread is not accepting new messages.