My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To ask for help with self assessment tax return?

40 replies

hottchocolate · 30/01/2024 14:37

I registered for self assessment weeks ago but when I go in my HMRC account t it doesn't show me any option to start the tax return. What am I doing wrong?

OP posts:
Youcancallmeirrelevant · 30/01/2024 14:47

Did you register by the deadline? I thought it was sometime in October you have to have registered by?

sandyhappypeople · 30/01/2024 14:57

The self assessment deadline of 31st Jan this year is in relation to the period 6th April 2022 - 5th April 2023. If you've registered for self assessment and only started being self employed after 6th April 2023, you won't have to file a self assessment return until next year.

hottchocolate · 30/01/2024 15:13

I think I registered by the deadline but don't have an email to confirm this so not sure what to do!

OP posts:
Octavia64 · 30/01/2024 15:14

Ring them. They are usually helpful if a bit busy this time of year.

hottchocolate · 30/01/2024 15:18

I am trying to get through now. Says wait is about half an hour which isn't too bad.

OP posts:
hottchocolate · 30/01/2024 16:05

40 minutes to be told I need to call a different number.

called again and call was terminated because they didn't understand what I wanted.

OP posts:
hottchocolate · 30/01/2024 16:09

The automated system has thrown me out again. I can only assume I haven't registered properly for self assessment.

OP posts:
paranoidmumdroid1 · 30/01/2024 16:11

The system will be totally overloaded today with last-minute filers.

So you've got a goverment gateway account, but when you login you can't see self assessment on the menu?

Maybe screenshot what you see when you login?

Aptique · 30/01/2024 16:11

They are virtually impossible to get through to. Really. I called at a very quiet period of the year and never got through. I eventually got my dh tax advisor to help me out. Is there an email you could try?

wineymummy · 30/01/2024 16:17

Is the online chat available? I couldn't phone them last summer BECAUSE THEY ACTUALLY TURNED OFF THEIR HELPLINE FOR WEEKS ON END but used the web chat instead (I actually think it was there for another reason rather than customer help) and a very lovely lady sorted me out pronto.
However I think the liklihood of you getting through to someone today or tomorrow is very slim. Hate to be the one to say it but you have left it very last minute. Not that I'm much better, only did mine last week.

hottchocolate · 30/01/2024 16:25

I am getting an automated system on the chat and when I call.

It is frustrating because I have tried to do this several times now and I don't think I'm totally thick so it makes me think it isn't that easy to do!

I tried to register for self assessment ones then realised I had an email saying I hadn't completed it. I did it again. Didn't get an email saying I hadn't completed it but also have no code. I can't see the code in my account. I don't have the app and don't know my password but login to the pc from its password memory!

OP posts:
hottchocolate · 30/01/2024 16:27

I know I have left it to the last minute but I have tried before and I have tried to reach them on the chat before. It shouldn't be this difficult.

I tried to simply register for self-assessment again but of course I can't now.

I will need to pay back a chunk of child benefit and want cancel it going forwards as well.

OP posts:
PutMyFootIn · 30/01/2024 16:29

Are you able to make a payment? If so, make a payment, about 50% less than you think you owe.

If you make a payment it will go in your favour even if it's not the correct amount.

Impatientwino · 30/01/2024 16:30

Their online chat service is usually very fast and helpful rather than ringing them you might get more luck that way.

Impatientwino · 30/01/2024 16:31

The automated chat soon turns into an agent when you start typing more in depth

reflecting2023 · 30/01/2024 16:34

Are you trying to do a tax return before the deadline tomorrow?
I think you can do it through the HMRC app.
I rang them last week and got through and my husband rang today and got through. Quickly try again before they close.

MandyMotherOfBrian · 30/01/2024 16:35

Impatientwino · 30/01/2024 16:31

The automated chat soon turns into an agent when you start typing more in depth

Yes, agree. Can’t remember the exact words to invoke the human being but it’s something like ‘I need to speak to an agent’. Had to do this to sort out my additional NI payments. Worked well. That said, I couldn’t get my self assessment sorted out when I had similar issues - my accountant called them in the end and got it moved along.

reflecting2023 · 30/01/2024 16:35

0300 200 3300

DelilahBucket · 30/01/2024 16:35

If you haven't had any emails from them reminding you to file your tax return then you are not registered or do not have one due. We're you self employed between 6th April 2022 and 5th April 2023? If so, it's likely you will have to pay a fine and interest on any tax due for filing late now as you've got no chance of getting through to them. That's what happens when you leave it until the day before it's due.

loudbatperson · 30/01/2024 16:41

Which year do you need to file for? 2022-2023 or 2023-2024?

GasPanic · 30/01/2024 17:05

I used to do this. Leave it right til the last minute. Not surprisingly at that time all the agents and help lines are rammed full of people who are ... also doing it right at the last minute. Trying to do it first time at the last minute is a double bonus. After all, what could possibly go wrong ?

Bit surprised that if you can log in that there is not a self assessment file option available, but maybe that is because wherever you got your extra earnings from has not informed HMRC. I think you somehow have to contact them to get the self assessment option installed, but might be hard to do at the moment. Maybe try very early in the morning as soon as the helplines open. I also find on chatbots if you type "speak to an advisor" (often several times) then eventually they will put you through edit to a human. I would have thought it would be fairly easy for them to activate the option, but who knows.

If you can't get it done you'll just have to suck up the fine.

hottchocolate · 30/01/2024 17:30

I am not self employed.

i need to repay child benefit as i earn over £60K

I think it is just for 2022 to 2023 but I'm not 100% sure. I think that's right as my taxable income for 2021 to 2022 was way under £50K (I was on mat leave for much of it)

OP posts:
hottchocolate · 30/01/2024 17:31

I know I am last minute but I did register for self assessment before the deadline and I have logged on since then to try to complete it and couldn't for one reason or another. Admittedly I have left it late to call them but I do think they don't make it easy!

OP posts:
hottchocolate · 30/01/2024 17:33

Also based on my earnings I think I would have to pay back about 40% of CB received for the year 2022 to 2023.

I am not sure how to pay though.

I will try the chat tomorrow morning. Thanks

OP posts:
reflecting2023 · 30/01/2024 17:55

Did you fill in the online form on yougov uk?
' do I need to complete a tax return?'

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.