Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Tw to ask if this counts as suicidal thoughts

29 replies

Anyonebutyou8 · 24/01/2024 17:51

Note I’m not in any danger or with intent. Is it suicidal thoughts if you get the urge to jump off something or jump into a river etc or does everyone think like that?

OP posts:
Product3257 · 24/01/2024 17:52

Yes. That's suicidal thoughs

LapinR0se · 24/01/2024 17:54

oh I don’t know. It might be the imp of the perverse. Are you depressed @Anyonebutyou8 ?

Midnlghtrain · 24/01/2024 17:54

I think there's a difference between thinking "I wonder what would happen if I jumped from here" in an intrusive thoughts kind of way, and a suicidal "I want to jump and end my life" sort of way.

fost · 24/01/2024 17:54

it depends, if it's just an urge that comes out of nowhere but you're not seriously considering it then it would more be considered intrusive thoughts, if you're actually planning how you'd kill yourself, that's suicidal thoughts.

Product3257 · 24/01/2024 17:56

Midnlghtrain · 24/01/2024 17:54

I think there's a difference between thinking "I wonder what would happen if I jumped from here" in an intrusive thoughts kind of way, and a suicidal "I want to jump and end my life" sort of way.

Very good point! I often get thoughts of "what if I just lent backwards at the top of the stairs" but I do not want to harm myself, therefore I'd call it an intrusive thought. Do you want to harm yourself OP? If so we can offer advice and link support agencies

Computercalendar · 24/01/2024 17:56

No it's called intrusive thoughts. I get the same.

StormKevin · 24/01/2024 17:56

I often randomly think about it but have no intention and completely well mentally! It’s just a bit random. I wonder if it’s some kind of hangover from when these thoughts were more real as a bullied teenager.

BigFatCat2024 · 24/01/2024 17:58

fost · 24/01/2024 17:54

it depends, if it's just an urge that comes out of nowhere but you're not seriously considering it then it would more be considered intrusive thoughts, if you're actually planning how you'd kill yourself, that's suicidal thoughts.

I'd agree, I get intrusive thoughts occasionally but I'm certainly not suicidal

BigFatCat2024 · 24/01/2024 18:02

I'd get them as a child, where I'd think 'what would happen if I opened the door now' as we were hurtling down the motorway with no seatbelts or child seats (I'm guessing I wasn't alone given child locks!)

WaterHound · 24/01/2024 18:04

I always get this on high buildings or next to rivers...it's a thing as linked above.

I have also had suicidal thoughts and then did go on to attempt suicide.

These things are not the same at all.

Createausername1970 · 24/01/2024 18:04

I would guess that it's the intent behind the thought that makes it suicidal.

If you think about jumping off Blackpool pier, with the intention of enjoying the exhilaration of doing it (tombstoning?) then it's not suicidal. But if you think about it as a means of ending your life, then it is.

Loubelle70 · 24/01/2024 18:06

Intrusive thoughts...not necessarily suicidal thoughts... could also be anxiety

SleepingStandingUp · 24/01/2024 18:14

Op I would say I have intrusive thoughts
Wondering what would happen if I stepped in front of they lorry now. Tall heights also have that impact, of making me wonder if I just.... And large bodies of water. I imagine the cold settling into my lungs and numbing then. I imagine DH remarrying and the funeral etc. The latter details less than the former. And I'm definitely not suicidal. I have been, I tried, I know I'm not now. Sometimes I just imagine getting a month in hospital. Or DH dying suddenly.

It's, I think, the difference in wondering and wanting to find out.

Is there stuff in your life you want to stop that you think doing that might help?

Atethehalloweenchocs · 24/01/2024 18:14

Please ignore the people saying this are suicidal thoughts. If you are clear that you have no intention or plan to do this, these are a form of intrusion. Intrusive thoughts are most common in OCD, but everybody has them - the difference is whether you notice them (we have so many thoughts every day it is impossible to be conscious of all of them) or if they are noticed, whether people think about them in any depth. Look at the Tahoma Intrusive Thoughts study to see more. You are more likely to over think them if you have a higher anxiety level in general. But in total - nothing to worry about.

eg2627 · 24/01/2024 18:15

That sounds like intrusive thoughts rather than suicidal. Have you ever had symptoms of OCD?

WithACatLikeTread · 24/01/2024 18:17

Sounds like intrusive thoughts. Watching "I am a Killer" on netflix and when making lunch thinking what would it feel like if I stabbed myself with that knife. Occasionally imagining stepping front of traffic. I do think it is more frequent when I am a bit low though.

Floopani · 24/01/2024 18:21

It very much depends on context. So these thoughts on their own with no other symptoms whatsoever, so just the random 'hmm what if I jumped off this train platform Infront of a train' whilst actually on a train platform, or 'what if I just stabbed myself with this knife' whilst making dinner - general run of the mill human random thoughts.

In context of the thoughts being unwanted, repetitive, distressing and out of context, anxiety or OCD.

In context of low mood, poor motivation, hopelessness, suicidal thoughts without plan or intent.

verabarbleen · 24/01/2024 18:24

When I had post natel depression I would walk past the bathroom and just think "could drown myself in the bath" or we were in the car and I would just think "car could crash and I'd die" but there was no thinking it , it was so instant and I had no control I didn't particularly want to die but I just didn't care and it was like my brain was going that way quite quickly!! Luckily I got help super fast . But just trying to say it felt very different to impulsive thoughts like "imagine if I just jumped of this building " or "imagine if I just pushed that person over" 😂🙈 I wouldn't by the way 😁

Username123343 · 24/01/2024 18:28

No they’re not suicidal thoughts. They’re intrusive thoughts - everyone has then of one kind or another. Our brains just give us stupid things to think sometimes. ‘Ooh I could just push that man onto the train track’ ‘I could just jump off this cliff edge’. They don’t mean anything.

Suicidal thoughts tends to refers to thoughts you have when you’re deeply stuck, overwhelmed, depressed and feel there’s no end to your situation. Your thoughts then flow towards the life ending way of thinking.

The way you describe the thoughts sounds like the random intrusive kind so next time you have one of them, just notice it and let it be there till a new thought comes along.

Screwballs · 24/01/2024 18:30

Depends on the intent. May just be intrusive thoughts.

Fangisnotacoward · 24/01/2024 18:31

I have thoughts like this quite often. It's really hard to explain. I think about killing myself, and it just pops into my head like I think about making a cup of tea.

I'm not suicidal, I have been in the past, but these aren't suicidal thoughts, they are intrusive thoughts my brain like to apparently think sometimes.

It's not a "real" thought. It's just a thought that I think and have no control over.

Like other posters as a kid I had huge urges and thoughts about opening the car door on the motorway.

But it's not something I tell people irl, because people would worry!

Alalalalalongalalalalalonglonglilong · 24/01/2024 18:43

I'm exactly the same @Fangisnotacoward and I would never reveal it as it sounds bonkers. For me its the urge to drive at speed into a wall. Or drowning, which is weird because I had this irrational fear of drowning all my life and then went through a phase where i would almost fantasise about it. Looking back it was a really difficult stressful period in my life. I'm glad I read up that its ok because i genuinely was worried I was developing a mental illness.

MorningSunshineSparkles · 24/01/2024 18:59

Unless you want to kill yourself it’s not suicidal thoughts, it’s just an intrusive thought. A suicidal thought would be “I can’t take it anymore, I just want to end it all”, except you don’t. You stay feeling that way for years, believing if you just try helping others and putting as much love and kindness out there as possible you might find a way to fix yourself. You don’t, that feeling saps at every bit of your energy slowly until you just can’t feel anything anymore. You’re so tired that you can’t continue. There’s a part of your brain that tells you somethings really wrong, you really need some help but it gets so small and so very quiet.

Thisisnottheend · 24/01/2024 18:59

if you are truly feeling well in yourself OP i would put it down as intrusive thoughts and not worry about this...the only issue i would raise is about impulsivity, do you have any issues with impulsive behaviour? Does the thought then go on to have any element of thinking negatively /how do you feel after it?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.