Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

I'm not part of their family am I?

107 replies

DiscoDragon · 13/01/2024 12:28

My mum cheated on my dad back when I was around 2 years old and eventually left him for the man she is now married to. I have 2 step brothers, although I've always thought of them and called them my brothers not ste-brothers.

I was always treated very differently to my brothers growing up. I was expected to pay half my wages in rent to my mum as soon as I started working full time at 18. I was told long before I was even thinking about moving out of home that once I was gone that was it, there would be no coming back home again, this was "tough love" to encourage me to stand on my own two feet. I was not invited on their family holidays

My brothers have both left home and come back again multiple times over the years, both have had girlfriends moving into their parents house with them - rent free so that they could save for their futures. Both are still currently living there in their mid/late thirties after one brother split from his long term partner and mother of his 2 children.

I only learned in December that my brother and his girlfriend seem to have split and that he has been off work with MH issues for several months. Also that his ex-partner is pregnant with their 3rd child - due in a few weeks. I had absolutely no idea, none of my "famliy" have shared any of this with me! I had gone to brothers ex's house to take a birthday present for my nephew. When I arrived our youngest brother was also there with his girlfriend with presents for nephew, all making a big fuss.

A few days after Christmas it was my son's birthday. My mum got him a tiny lego set and £10 (to be fair she is disabled and can't get out to the shops and relies on her husband so this is his doing). My brothers couldn't even be fucked to get off their asses and come wish him a happy birthday when we were at my mums house let alone get him a card or a present. My older daughter had her birthday in October and was spoiled rotten by everyone, cards and presents from everyone.

It has all left me feeling so upset, like I'm just not considered a part of their family at all. I am so fucking angry that my daughter gets spoiled on her birthday and my son is barely acknowledged. I don't understand why.

I'm thinking of not bothering with any of them from now on apart from my mum. I wont bother acknowledging the birth of my brothers 3rd child or with his other childrens birthdays and next Christmas I'll stick to my mum, dad and my own children when it comes to gift giving. AIBU?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

401 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
5%
You are NOT being unreasonable
95%
DiscoDragon · 13/01/2024 13:22

I can't go NC with my mum, I just can't. I can't blame her for being the way she is, she fought for custody of me. I saw how frightened and upset she was in hospital with me after I took an overdose aged 20. She must care in her own fucked up way.

My brothers and I were never close but I had always thought we got on well enough, I am upset to realise just how little they seem to think of me and my children this year.

OP posts:
Crumpleton · 13/01/2024 13:22

I don't know that I do entirely blame my mum for the way things are tbh.

My mother's husband is a piece of shit, always has been. He was physically and emotionally abusive to me and seriously neglectful since I was 3 years old.

Unless your DM never knew any of this was happening she is very much part of the blame.

My mum has definitely always favoured her sons over me, probably learned from her own mother who was always very much the same.

Your DM, or infact anyone can also learn that being treated as an outcast when growing up is something that they'll never ever let happen to their own family.

elfintinsel · 13/01/2024 13:36

You may love your mum and she may well love you. However, that doesn't excuse the physical abuse you endured.
You could visit if you really must but don't involve the children and continue the cycle. They don't need to be treated badly too.
I would have nothing to do with your half brothers. They sound vile. It sounds like your stepdad is very controlling of your mum. Seeing him might be unavoidable to keep in contact with your mum but I would take a step back and avoid as much as possible.
No good will come of you trying to be there for them. They do not deserve anything from you.

AppleWax · 13/01/2024 13:50

This sounds awful and I urge you to get help to work through this disgusting behaviour towards you.

You were a little girl and in no way to blame for your family situation. Your mother should have been strong and saved you from the humiliation and hurt. To allow her husband to pin you down and encourage her sons, your younger brothers, to spit on you is disgusting. She should have left him with all three children, she had left a marriage before, she could have done it again. Unfortunately it sounds as though you were the scapegoat in the family, the one to focus negative attention on, and as such they will never see you or your family as equal.

This pattern is repeating itself, where they favour your daughter and, at best, tolerate your son. It is your job, as their mother and advocate, to stop this now. By treating your children differently, they continue their abuse towards you. Don’t let your children become collateral damage in this, they need protecting from this toxicity and repeated behaviours.

stay strong and seek help x

Dringle · 13/01/2024 13:51

Yanbu, sorry you're dealing with this. It is such a painful realisation to work through when it hits that the people you considered to be your family don't consider you to be theirs. My "family" are the same, I come off social media every winter now as it sends me into such a spiral to see all the posts of my mum, siblings and extended family celebrating together knowing I will not have even crossed their minds. I don't understand it and never will but it has brought me some peace to get to the point of no longer ruminating on it or trying to work out why they forgot I exist.

I don't have any advice other than to look after yourself, spend your time with those who do value you and put whatever boundaries in place you need to protect yourself from being hurt. Your worth is not defined by their inability to see it

AppleWax · 13/01/2024 13:53

*She should have left him with all three children, she had left a marriage before, she could have done it again

She should have left him, and taken all three children with her.

DiscoDragon · 13/01/2024 13:53

GoingToBeLessRubbishAtLife · 13/01/2024 12:42

Your mum seems to be the worst out of all these people. She was the only one responsible for not including you on family holidays. Where did you go? Did you stay with your dad then?

I’d just not contact any of them unless they contact you BUT I have a history of just not pursuing relationships that don’t work for me so you might get more measured advice in that regard from someone else.

Yes I'd either go to stay with my dad or grandparents. It wasn't all the family holidays, just some of them. The fancy ones in St. Tropez and Greece. I did get to go to Butlins and on caravan holidays!

I'd be quite happy not bothering with mum's husband or my "brothers" again to be honest. I've been so upset this Christmas to see how little they think of me, I was actually shocked. The youngest brother and his girlfriend going to take presents and make a fuss of my nephew but not bothering with my son just a few days later has really confused and upset me. In previous years he has usually made at least a small effort with my children. I'm even more upset with my brother who has children not bothering with my son this year, neither did his ex-girlfriend who I've always gotten on with. I made the effort to remember their son's birthday on the 23rd even though I was up to my ears with stuff all month. Nobody forgot nephews birthday on the 23rd, or my mum's on the 26th yet from that side of my family the only person to acknowledge my son's birthday was my mum. I've not even had any thanks from them this year for the presents I got for them and for their kids. I just find it so upsetting that at some point they've apparently all just decided not to bother with me and my children this year for some reason.

OP posts:
PutinSmellsPassItOn · 13/01/2024 14:07

I've said it once I'll say it a thousand times, they do it because they get a kick out of it. They like the thought of your son being upset, that's why they spoil your dd. It's why they singled you out. I see this bollocks played out repeatedly in families, it always follows the same narrative.

Stop giving them the satisfaction, including your mother who set the scene and allowed this starting with you. Grey rock the lot of them, be out if they try to deign you with their presence. Hell I'd move. You have your own family now, concentrate on them amd building them up to be emotionally healthy adults.

DiscoDragon · 13/01/2024 14:07

AppleWax · 13/01/2024 13:50

This sounds awful and I urge you to get help to work through this disgusting behaviour towards you.

You were a little girl and in no way to blame for your family situation. Your mother should have been strong and saved you from the humiliation and hurt. To allow her husband to pin you down and encourage her sons, your younger brothers, to spit on you is disgusting. She should have left him with all three children, she had left a marriage before, she could have done it again. Unfortunately it sounds as though you were the scapegoat in the family, the one to focus negative attention on, and as such they will never see you or your family as equal.

This pattern is repeating itself, where they favour your daughter and, at best, tolerate your son. It is your job, as their mother and advocate, to stop this now. By treating your children differently, they continue their abuse towards you. Don’t let your children become collateral damage in this, they need protecting from this toxicity and repeated behaviours.

stay strong and seek help x

Thank you, your post has brought me to tears! I can see that the pattern is repeating itself, which is why I've got so angry and upset this Christmas. My son is 10 and so far he doesn't appear to have noticed that he is treated differently by that side of my family, I hadn't even been entirely sure of it until this year when it's been so obvious. I'd always just thought, oh its just because everyone has Christmas and so many other birthdays to remember this month etc, but I went up to my mum's on son's birthday. The brother who's split from his partner was there, up in his room gaming. My son went upstairs to use the loo and then went into brothers room and told him it was his birthday today! If he had genuinely forgotten he could have easily nipped out to the shop and got him a card and dropped it down later, but he hasn't bothered at all.

I'm not going to allow it to get to the point where my son and daughter notice that they are treated differently by those people. I have already stopped taking my son to my mum's house most of the times that I go since stepdad went on his rant about autism/ADHD not existing etc. He seems to have the opinion that I just need to be "tough" on him and force him into being "normal", he's clearly as thick as a plank and I don't want my son being exposed to these attititudes.

I don't want to deprive my mum of her grandchildren, but either her husband or my brothers are usually always there now so I guess that's how it will have to be. Anyway, my brother has 2 (soon to be 3) children now and they seem to have taken top spot now so perhaps I shouldn't feel to guilty.

OP posts:
RatatouillePie · 13/01/2024 14:11

DiscoDragon · 13/01/2024 12:50

My mother's husband is a piece of shit, always has been. He was physically and emotionally abusive to me and seriously neglectful since I was 3 years old. He smacked me around the head so frequently I used to flinch every time anyone raised a hand near me. I didn't just automatically accept him as my "new dad" when he expected me to and has always hated me for pointing out that he's not my dad. My nan recalls an occasion when I was around 9/10 when he held me down on the floor and laughed as my brothers spit on me.

His mother was very concerned with outer appearances, I don't think she liked me existing as I was a reminder of the fact her precious son was a home-wrecker. There was a lot of pressure from his mother and sisters to change my surname to his and to try to transform me into some kind of clone of his oh-so-perfect niece. I was dressed the same, hair styled the same, sent to ballet because she went and even pulled out of a pre-school I loved to go to the same snooty private nursery she went to.

My mum I think buried her head in the sand in an effort to "keep the peace", tried to validate some of what was happening by telling me that I shouldn't be so difficult and shouldn't "wind him up" etc. She came from a pretty messed up and abusive background herself to be fair so probably had no idea of what was normal or not.

To be fair, your mum is equally a piece of shit.

She may have had a complicated life, but she let a grown man be physically and emotionally abusive to you, which is disgusting. Burying her head in the sand is not an excuse - it was condoning the abuse that went on. I don't for a minute believe she had no idea what was normal or what was not. Her job was to safeguard and protect you. She didn't.

I would consider speaking to the police about your childhood experience, and at the very least I would cut off your entire family and not bother with them ever again.

Sorry you went through this.

DiscoDragon · 13/01/2024 14:15

PutinSmellsPassItOn · 13/01/2024 14:07

I've said it once I'll say it a thousand times, they do it because they get a kick out of it. They like the thought of your son being upset, that's why they spoil your dd. It's why they singled you out. I see this bollocks played out repeatedly in families, it always follows the same narrative.

Stop giving them the satisfaction, including your mother who set the scene and allowed this starting with you. Grey rock the lot of them, be out if they try to deign you with their presence. Hell I'd move. You have your own family now, concentrate on them amd building them up to be emotionally healthy adults.

I just can't get my head around this. I was a nice kid, very quiet and well behaved. I've even overheard my mum telling her friends when I was a teenager that I was as good as gold and had never given her a moments trouble. Different story to the one she always told me! My son is wonderful, he is quirky and funny and completely bonkers in the best possible way, not a bad bone in his body. My daughter on the other hand can be really hard work, mouthy, argumentative and spiteful but they don't/won't see that.

None of them ever bother coming to see us in our house, but yes I think we do need to move. I don't want to be near this confusing and upsetting people anymore, it's clearly not doing me any good.

OP posts:
Bellyblueboy · 13/01/2024 14:17

i am struck that you incorrectly referred to your half brothers as your step brothers.

do Your brothers describe you as their sister, half sister or step sister?

the only step relationship here is between you and your mum’s husband. Everyone else is related by blood. Has your step father told the boys that because you are his step daughter you are their step sister?

mid your step father trying to define all the relationships in the family? Do your brothers recognise this - surely they have seen how abusive he is?

Dringle · 13/01/2024 14:20

The thread moved on a lot while I was writing my last post and I can see that a lot of what I said is irrelevant.

Op it is jarring you because you love your children and you know that being treated this way is harming them. This is stirring up your trauma because you see the pattern repeating, you've had to navigate a dynamic where you get rejected and punished for speaking out and you've pushed your own feelings down in order to survive because that was the only thing you could do. It is a horrible position to be in but you know you have to protect your children, if you play along to keep the peace you're complicit just as your mother and other family members were when your stepfather was abusing that poor little 4 year old. I'm not saying you have to cut them out completely but you need rigid boundaries to limit the influence they have on you and your actual family unit.

Merryoldgoat · 13/01/2024 14:22

Your mother, complicated/ill/whatever failed you, abused you, and doesn’t deserve you.

I’d never see any of them again.

DiscoDragon · 13/01/2024 14:25

RatatouillePie · 13/01/2024 14:11

To be fair, your mum is equally a piece of shit.

She may have had a complicated life, but she let a grown man be physically and emotionally abusive to you, which is disgusting. Burying her head in the sand is not an excuse - it was condoning the abuse that went on. I don't for a minute believe she had no idea what was normal or what was not. Her job was to safeguard and protect you. She didn't.

I would consider speaking to the police about your childhood experience, and at the very least I would cut off your entire family and not bother with them ever again.

Sorry you went through this.

This is so hard to read. I always so desperately needed to believe my mum wasn't an awful person and that she did love me deep down. I could never understand why she allowed that mean to treat me the way he did. She didn't hit me, nobody else ever hit me. If anyone ever laid a hand on my children I would absolutely lose my shit, the thought of anyone deliberately causing them pain makes me feel sick. Why didn't she feel that for me? Was my only mistake being a child from her first marriage and not neatly slotting into her new chosen family? Maybe it was more than that, perhaps I was too like my dad and not enough like her. She would often say to me in a nasty sneering tone "ugh you're just like your dad aren't you?"

Why would I speak to the police? My childhood is long behind me now, I'd only be stirring up trouble and to what end? She has Parkinsons and he is her main carer, I'd prefer to keep it that way if I'm honest, I don't want that responsibility to fall to me.

OP posts:
BoohooWoohoo · 13/01/2024 14:41

I can't go NC with my mum, I just can't. I can't blame her for being the way she is, she fought for custody of me. I saw how frightened and upset she was in hospital with me after I took an overdose aged 20. She must care in her own fucked up way.

My brothers and I were never close but I had always thought we got on well enough, I am upset to realise just how little they seem to think of me and my children this year.

Your mum is a terrible parent.
You say that she was worried about appearances. Are you sure that she wasn’t scared that she’d have to explain this incident to someone official like a coroner, doctor or family members who might have believed that things were fine at your house ?

I’m sorry that you felt so helpless that your committed suicide. Your life after your parents divorce has been horrific and your mum enabled her husband and her sons to abuse you. Your half brothers grew up with permission to abuse you so I blame them a little less and can see why they’d have mental health issues with a father like that but your mum is a grown woman who should have at least considered giving you to your dad or a trusted female member like a nan.

I understand if you aren’t ready to hear never mind consider the possibility that your mum is awful but as a third party, I feel deeply sad for you with each update because you were unloved by your mum, stepdad and half brothers and still in contact with them (in the hope that you can win them over?) . 😢

Please protect your son from being the next generation affected by abuse. Regardless of whether or not he realises it, the treatment of him will be damaging your dd too.

Gooders1105 · 13/01/2024 14:44

It’s really hard, OP. After years of therapy I had to look at my mum’s role in the abuse I suffered as a child. I wanted, like you, to blame my dad and excuse my mum’s allowance of it. But, in your case, she fought to get custody of you and took you into an abusive home. That is NOT a good mum.
It gets complicated when you look at the past and your mum is ill. My mum died many years ago so I found it really hard to look at her behaviour and get angry with a dead person but I did and I’m now NC with my dad.
counselling will be instrumental in this for you. I think your anxiety is all rooted in your awful childhood.
I really wish you so much happiness. It is out there when you work through all that happened to you. It was NOT your fault. EVER.

PumpkinsAndCoconuts · 13/01/2024 14:45

DiscoDragon · 13/01/2024 13:14

It's like she just refused to see it, or to see it was as bad as it was, she always tried to downplay it. She took my dad to court for custody of me and won, I guess she just couldn't face admitting how fucked up the situation was. Other people noticed the change in me, my nan realised my flinching had to be down to someone hurting me and she told my uncle who gave mums husband a taste of his own medicine. This just made more drama and upset that I got most of the blame for. I was a trouble-maker apparently, at 4 years old.

I am currently on a waiting list for therapy, I did touch on some of this about 20 years ago when I had 6 therapy sessions arranged and paid for by my workplace at the time. I've suffered with depression and anxiety for pretty much my whole life, I guess I'll need more than a handful of sessions to pick through it all.

I didn´t read all the other comments so a lot has probably already been said...

I have a fairly messed up family history myself.
Most of it not in my generation but the effects of abuse are often / generally intergenerational and being raised by heavily traumatised adults had a massive effect on my childhood (and early adulthood). Probably still does.
Anyhow, I am giving you this personal background information to explain why I spent a lot of time thinking about similar issues (and a lot of money on therapy).

I have realised that asking why is unfortunately pointless. I will never understand why certain people did (or do...) the absolutely evil and despicable things they did. Seeing as most can´t answer anymore (dead, dementia etc.) it´s also pointless. Even if they had ever considered giving a reasonable answer.

Ultimately, I had to accept that they did what they did and that I had to find ways to deal with the aftermath.
I also had to realise that there is no answer I could be given that would make sense to me. Because there is no "good reason" to abuse a child.
Some people people are just sick and there is no use trying to reason with that. Their motivations and reasons won´t change the fact that it is abusive. Which makes the why somewhat irrelevant (in my personal opinion).

Using these resources on myself and to protect the life and people I care about is much better and healthier.

Your half-brothers, your stepfather and your DM are apparently trying to re-create your childhood. But with your daughter as the golden child and your son as the one being "outwardly/obviously" abused. Don´t let that happen.
Don´t let them instrumentalise your DD to hurt your DS and you. 
The only reliable way to ensure that they can´t is keeping them away from your children and your family. I wouldn´t be surprised if that turned out to be much better for your own mental health and wellbeing as well. I would therefore urge you to go no-contact (or low-contact).

Disclaimer: this is just my personal perspective. Maybe you´ll realise that my approach doesn´t work for you, which is obviously perfectly reasonable as well.
It´s great that you´re seeking therapeutic support. I´m wishing you good luck with that! Flowers

Stupidliefromfriend · 13/01/2024 14:48

My heart is breaking for you OP. I don't think you should worry if they consider you part of their family, make your own decision that they are not good enough.

Your mum I'm sure does love you but she's a product of her own abusive upbringing. This is all so very sad. You can break the cycle now by having a happy loving home.

I don't think you should cut your mum out as ultimately it will bring more unhappiness into your life and you should prioritise your own well-being. Your stepfather is a disgusting abusive monster, his sons are likely to be versions of this and i would keep my kids away.

DiscoDragon · 13/01/2024 14:48

Dringle · 13/01/2024 14:20

The thread moved on a lot while I was writing my last post and I can see that a lot of what I said is irrelevant.

Op it is jarring you because you love your children and you know that being treated this way is harming them. This is stirring up your trauma because you see the pattern repeating, you've had to navigate a dynamic where you get rejected and punished for speaking out and you've pushed your own feelings down in order to survive because that was the only thing you could do. It is a horrible position to be in but you know you have to protect your children, if you play along to keep the peace you're complicit just as your mother and other family members were when your stepfather was abusing that poor little 4 year old. I'm not saying you have to cut them out completely but you need rigid boundaries to limit the influence they have on you and your actual family unit.

Thank you, your post really makes a lot of sense to me. I am afraid of conflict with these people. Whenever I've dared to raise any of these issues from my childhood with my mum in the past she has continued to play it down, or outright not remember what I'm talking about at all. I've been made to feel as if I just have a victim mentality and want to blame them for all my problems in life. There is an outright refusal on their side to admit or accept any wrong-doing on their part. I never knew that my mum had cheated on my dad until my mother confided in me after a couple of vodka's when I was in my early twenties. Her husband was absolutely furious that she told me that, he always needs everyone to see him as such a great guy - a real pillar of the community, such a kind and gracious man taking on another mans child as if she was his own etc. Most people in our village would never believe me if I told them what he was really like!

I wont be cutting my mum out of my life. I know she has been a terrible mother to me, but I still can't do it, I don't know why but I can't. As far as her husband is concerned I have always been civil and nothing more. Going forward I wont be bothering with him or my brothers at all. I have no plans to congratulate my brother when his next child arrives or to bother with gifts, same for their birthdays and Christmas and I will tell them not to bother with my daughter again as they barely bother with her brother. I'm sad I wont have any kind of relationship with my nephews, but I expect they wont even notice as I'm such a small part of their lives as it is. I had thought it was just because of the age differences between their children and mine but now I think it's clearly more than this isn't it!

OP posts:
MeMyBooksAndMyCats · 13/01/2024 14:55

None of them deserve you, your step dad is a abusive prick & your mum is also abusive for allowing this to happen to you.
Any decent parent would of took their children and cleared off.

Maybe best to go no contact or extremely low contact for your own peace of mind. It doesn't sound like you'll sadly get the closure you need

Dringle · 13/01/2024 14:56

DiscoDragon · 13/01/2024 14:25

This is so hard to read. I always so desperately needed to believe my mum wasn't an awful person and that she did love me deep down. I could never understand why she allowed that mean to treat me the way he did. She didn't hit me, nobody else ever hit me. If anyone ever laid a hand on my children I would absolutely lose my shit, the thought of anyone deliberately causing them pain makes me feel sick. Why didn't she feel that for me? Was my only mistake being a child from her first marriage and not neatly slotting into her new chosen family? Maybe it was more than that, perhaps I was too like my dad and not enough like her. She would often say to me in a nasty sneering tone "ugh you're just like your dad aren't you?"

Why would I speak to the police? My childhood is long behind me now, I'd only be stirring up trouble and to what end? She has Parkinsons and he is her main carer, I'd prefer to keep it that way if I'm honest, I don't want that responsibility to fall to me.

Good people can do bad things, you can love your mum whilst accepting that she didn't do right by you. Yes it was absolutely appalling and an absolute failure of her basic duty to protect her child to turn a blind eye to the abuse you suffered but you can feel whatever you feel about that while feeling something entirely different about her now. There is a lot to work through here and it is a long, complicated and painful process but you are the only one who gets to decide what you do and how you move forward.

From what I've read here I would bet that there was a slow process of smaller things she went along with to avoid the fall out and in the context of that environment the bigger things were not extreme at all, anyone outside of that looking in would be rightly appalled but they won't have been groomed to accept it as she was. She's then in a position where she either has to accept that she utterly failed as a mother and go against this disgusting man who has worn her down and demonstrated what he's capable of plus the little sidekicks he has trained up or find a way to justify her inaction by whatever mental gymnastics she has to do to downplay, minimise, ignore deny or apportion blame elsewhere. You can love her and feel sorry for what she went through while also feeling absolute fury at the way she failed you

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Emptyheadlock · 13/01/2024 15:10

Your mother is a disgrace and she failed you so so badly.

Get therapy.

Coconutter24 · 13/01/2024 15:11

That is a poor excuse not to go no contact with your mum. You are willingly turning a blind eye and choosing to ignore her neglect of you because ‘I can’t blame her for being the way she is’….. but you can blame your step dad and brothers for the way they are! That makes no sense everyone here is as bad as each other

DiscoDragon · 13/01/2024 15:15

I'm trying to get therapy. I'm on a waiting list. I can't afford to pay for private therapy, my life has in most ways been a massive failure due to both mental and physical health issues and I've not worked for over 12 years now because of it. I'm desperate for therapy and to try and sort my life out, I'd love to get back to work and some kind of independence but it's like I'm stuck in a hole that I can't climb out of. I think a lot of it probably has to do with being back in the village they live in, I'm just stuck in my childhood trauma all over again.

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.