My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Till receipts aren't recyclable - am i the only one who didn't know?!

110 replies

Boringthreadalert · 09/01/2024 10:49

Sorry for being boring but I'm annoyed I've only just found this out!
It's to do with the type of paper they're printed on.
Did anyone else know this?! I feel like it should be communicated better. Would definitely encourage me to say no to them more than I do at present!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

153 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
24%
You are NOT being unreasonable
76%
Saisong · 09/01/2024 10:52

I did know this, from an old thread on here I think. Plus something about the paper/ink being toxic and freaking a whole load of retail staff out!

FuckinghellthatsUnbelievable · 09/01/2024 10:54

I knew that. I found it surprising that pizza boxes aren’t recyclable. I think due to grease contamination. Also take away coffee cups can’t be recycled. I felt bad as aid been tossing them in recycling for years.

Toomuch44 · 09/01/2024 10:55

I didn't know that, I've been tearing them up and putting them in the recycling or compositor for years.

planetarynoodle · 09/01/2024 10:55

yeah everyone knows that

Mothership4two · 09/01/2024 10:56

Yes I did somehow. They aren't printed with ink but use some sort of chemical reaction - I think they are sort of burnt on. Obviously my knowledge is pretty shaky!

Mothership4two · 09/01/2024 10:57

Some coffee cups can be composted but it will say on the outside.

Pfpppl · 09/01/2024 10:58

It depends, some can be recycled. I think the way to check is if you heat it with a hairdryer for example and it turns black then it can't.

MrsSkylerWhite · 09/01/2024 10:58

I think generally anything that’s vaguely shiny isn’t?

OrganicCamomileTea · 09/01/2024 11:01

I have always assumed that they were not recyclable, so I've never put them in the recycling bin. I think I made that assumption based on the fact that they are small. Our council specifically states that it doesn't accept small scraps of paper.

Atethehalloweenchocs · 09/01/2024 11:15

I had no idea. Thanks for telling me, I have to go and fish some out of the recycling now.

StrawberryWater · 09/01/2024 11:16

I found out last year. I was astonished. Previously I thought they were recyclable.

BargainOffer · 09/01/2024 11:20

I didn't know!

I've just checked my council's information for paper recycling and there's no mention of them in the list of unsuitable items, so I imagine I'm not the only one in my area at least.

PeppermintParty · 09/01/2024 11:21

I wonder what actually happens at the recycling centres, as obviously a lot of people will do things wrong. For example putting till receipts through the shredder and pizza boxes in the cardboard waste, not to mention the various types of plastic that can't be recycled. I guess larger items like pizza boxes, they could hook out, but nobody is going to spot that till receipts have been shredded with other paper. If someone puts greasy pizza boxes in the recycling, does this mean that the whole batch (lorryload?) of cardboard is contaminated?

WhatATimeToBeAlive · 09/01/2024 11:22

I didn't know that, I always put them in the paper recycling :(

spottydinosaur · 09/01/2024 11:24

Another one that didn't know 😳

LittleGreenDragons · 09/01/2024 11:28

I didn't know either but I never recycle them. Will still ask for a paper receipt as I don't trust businesses to send the electronic ones.

exttf · 09/01/2024 11:29

PeppermintParty · 09/01/2024 11:21

I wonder what actually happens at the recycling centres, as obviously a lot of people will do things wrong. For example putting till receipts through the shredder and pizza boxes in the cardboard waste, not to mention the various types of plastic that can't be recycled. I guess larger items like pizza boxes, they could hook out, but nobody is going to spot that till receipts have been shredded with other paper. If someone puts greasy pizza boxes in the recycling, does this mean that the whole batch (lorryload?) of cardboard is contaminated?

I also wonder what happens at the recycling centre. I live abroad and it's even more complicated here. I don't understand all the rules and nor do my neighbours. I know that despite my best efforts I don't get everything right so what happens when my neighbours and I put things like till receipts in the paper bin and they can't be recycled?

Restrelief · 09/01/2024 11:29

I didn’t know, I don’t ask for one.

RB68 · 09/01/2024 11:30

Some are some arn't - the process is that of thermal printing - so heat is applied to the paper and the paper reacts and turns black (iron one) the chemical reaction to the heat turns them dark, others are standard paper and printed into - these will be recyclable. The thermal paper is normally shiny and thin whilst the other is rougher and not shiny.

ImCamembertTheBigCheese · 09/01/2024 11:34

I didn't know this. I've always put them in the recycling.

EzraJones · 09/01/2024 11:42

I've contaminated a LOT of bags of recycling over the years then 😅

madeinmanc · 09/01/2024 11:43

It's about time there was a single app, independent of retailers so not tied to data scraping and users having a million different apps, for receipts so we can do away with them for ever.

ButWhatAboutTheBees · 09/01/2024 11:56

Thermal printed ones can't be but some places have ink printed ones which can

Pizza boxes - I think I've seen some areas now take them

It's like small foil (like wrappings off chocolates) - some areas won't take it at all, some will accept it if it's all rolled into a ball of a certain size and some will just take it

And as for what happens - again areas dependant I believe. Some areas its all hand sorted and items can be caught, washed if needed etc. Other areas then any batch which comes in "contaminated" will just get burnt/tossed. It was a big thing a little while ago that a % of items sent to recycling weren't actually recycled and so people felt they were doing the right thing but actually their waste was still going to landfill

ShinyAppleDreamingOfTheSea · 09/01/2024 11:57

planetarynoodle · 09/01/2024 10:55

yeah everyone knows that

I didn't .

C1N1C · 09/01/2024 11:59

I wouldn't be surprised if it was only cardboard sent from sites like Amazon that got recycled and everything else we send in our recycled bin just got sent to landfill...

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.