Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To be impatient with my baby?

123 replies

fivetonap · 02/05/2023 08:59

My baby is 15 months and 1 week old (born three weeks early if that's relevant?) and still not walking.

I'm getting worried and impatient about it!

We're going on holiday at the end of the month with a baby the same age (actually a month younger) who's been walking since he was 11 months old. Makes me feel even more worried.

Please be kind, I have a tendency to worry a lot.

AIBU to worry yet?

OP posts:
7Worfs · 02/05/2023 09:02

I think anything up to 18 months is within the normal range.
Babies do things at their own pace, mastering one thing at a time.

What physical movements does baby do now - crawling, sitting on the floor unaided, cruising etc? Attempting to stand up?

MyLordWizardKing · 02/05/2023 09:03

I was similarly worried when my first still wasn't walking at 15 months, when all the other babies we knew did it at around 12 months. She finally walked at about 18 months. Same with my son.

It's hard not to worry, but please be assured that it's perfectly normal for a child not to walk up until (iirc) about 2 years.

Sapphire387 · 02/05/2023 09:03

Late end of 'normal' - I wouldn't worry just yet. Is your baby hitting other milestones? Crawling, pulling up to stand etc?

Marblessolveeverything · 02/05/2023 09:03

Honestly they are all different. Some walk early some talk. My eldest was just over 15 months when he walked the second stood up and ran at ten months scared the life out of me. Both born on due date.

My nephew was 18 months hadn't a notion of walking but just stood up and ran one day. All different.

Lwrenagain · 02/05/2023 09:03

You're worrying! One of mine was 17 months and I worried sick.
Went on to actually be quite sporty.
The other one who was early (11 months) now isn't too keen on physical activity!

Easier said than done but try to not worry 🌻

ElinoristhenewEnid · 02/05/2023 09:05

My dcs walked at 22 and 21 months. They were absolutely fine - just dodgy genes on my side - I walked at 2.5 years, my dbro at 20 months and my dsis at 2 years!

DappledThings · 02/05/2023 09:08

Mine walked at 16 and 21 months. Nothing wrong, just took their time. The later one was a bum shuffler and they are often slower to walk.

Neither of them ever really pulled themselves up. Both waited till they were able to get to standing in the middle of the room and then they were off.

meandtheboy · 02/05/2023 09:09

No need to worry at all - all babies do things in their own good time, and enjoy the fact that you haven't got to run about after him/her just yet!

LG93 · 02/05/2023 09:10

My first started walking at 11 months, number 2 is currently 15 months and only took his first wobbly steps yesterday. As long as baby is showing other signs of gross motor development, pulling up to stand, crawling, cruising furniture etc I wouldn't be too worried

DisquietintheRanks · 02/05/2023 09:11

Can your baby weight-bear on their legs? If so, no need to worry as anything up to and including 18 months is normal for walking.

If they can't weight-bear go to your gp.

fivetonap · 02/05/2023 09:12

7Worfs · 02/05/2023 09:02

I think anything up to 18 months is within the normal range.
Babies do things at their own pace, mastering one thing at a time.

What physical movements does baby do now - crawling, sitting on the floor unaided, cruising etc? Attempting to stand up?

Crawling, climbing stairs up and down, cruising, took a few steps last week but no absolutely won't

OP posts:
mynameiscalypso · 02/05/2023 09:12

That's definitely within the normal range. My DS just started walking one day at about 16 months (during a period of Covid isolation...) and he was by no means the last of his cohort to start walking. Because he was a bit older and more secure on his feet, he also went straight into walking very confidently.

Yuja · 02/05/2023 09:13

If the child is crawling and cruising you have literally nothing to worry about. There's a wide range of normal and 15 months is well within it.

7Worfs · 02/05/2023 09:14

fivetonap · 02/05/2023 09:12

Crawling, climbing stairs up and down, cruising, took a few steps last week but no absolutely won't

Sounds like baby is working hard and building up towards walking - not long now. 😊

gogohmm · 02/05/2023 09:14

Anything up to 18 months is completely normal (apparently I was 18 months) they won't be unduly concerned even then as long as there's no obvious delays in motor function as some babies take their time for no medical reason!

Try not to compare, or rather enjoy your baby rather than rushing

thaegumathteth · 02/05/2023 09:14

All I'll say OP is that right now it seems like the be all and end all but it won't be long before you can't tell which kid walked early and which didn't.

Ellie1015 · 02/05/2023 09:15

They all do things at different times try not to compare. My first born was early to walk and late to talk.

My friend didn't walk until 20 months and very sporty as a child/adult.

Mummynew08 · 02/05/2023 09:15

I wouldn't worry honestly. But you can do fun things to encourage it - can your dc walk while holding both your hands? Can they cruise? Do you provide handy cruise areas (eg a coffee table at the right height)

We used to let dd stand up in her cot and balance a ball on the opposite corner of the cot walls so she would cruise over and knock it off. I have videos of her doing this with DH, she would do it for like half an hour at a time!

Dd eventually started walking with minimal help around 14/15m. When I was a baby I was walking at 11m too like your friend's baby, but I was also spectacularly overweight (photos are hilarious) so I think that's why I developed early. I was late to speak too. Whereas now I'm the type who won't shut up and not sporty at all so I don't think it's correlated!

SallyWD · 02/05/2023 09:15

My son didn't start until about 18 months I think. They all develop at different times and at their own rate. Have you ever met an adult who didn't eventually learn to walk?! Obviously I'm excluding people with disabilities here.
I'd give it a few more months and if you're still worried contact the health visitor. 15 months seems fine to me.

fivetonap · 02/05/2023 09:15

thaegumathteth · 02/05/2023 09:14

All I'll say OP is that right now it seems like the be all and end all but it won't be long before you can't tell which kid walked early and which didn't.

You'd think I'd know this considering this is my second son! But I'm still so anxious about it!

OP posts:
gogohmm · 02/05/2023 09:18

I have early walkers and late talkers ... all different! My second has no disabilities at all (adult now) but talked at nearly 3, her elder sister was over 4 (she has asd) yes I worried but both can talk for England and one gives motivational talks now, the other represented kids with autism at a national conference.

fivetonap · 02/05/2023 09:20

He's definitely more communicative than my first, perhaps he's concentrating on that?

OP posts:

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Maydayhay · 02/05/2023 09:21

Mine walked late, both 18 months and they were very confident, sturdy walker’s straight off. We missed the wobbly, falling over stage when you’re worried they’re constantly falling.

FeeFiFoFumble · 02/05/2023 09:23

One of mine walked at 18 months (only started crawling at 10.5 months) and the other walked at 11 months. Both are within normal rage

ittakes2 · 02/05/2023 09:23

Some kids don't walk because they are hypermobile so worth asking GP if they need a physio referral to check.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.