Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

US COVID RESTRICTIONS

32 replies

Nonethemiser · 25/01/2023 21:24

Hi All,
My daughter has been suffering from depression for some years and the pandemic has meant that we've not been abroad for a number of years. She absolutely hates her birthday so we thought it would be a great idea to take her away for her 18th which is on the 7th February. Unfortunately it seems we may have done insufficient research regarding covid requirements - can anyone help please. She had the first dose about 18 months ago but didn't like it and hasn't had a second one up until today. We are booked to travel on the 5th which is 11 days away - looking at the US website it suggests that we have to wait 14 days before the second one counts - is just the first jab sufficient does anyone know? It also seems to suggest that children under 18 are not required to be fully vaccinated so she will still be 17 when we're due to step on the plane although she will turn 18 on day 13 (any advice gratefully received - she's so excited about the holiday - she'll be devastated if we can't go).
Many Thanks

OP posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

EasterIssland · 25/01/2023 21:27

I believe it’s 2 for being let in
unsure about the 17 vs 18. I know they’re ok to go without vaccines if under 18 but not sure what happens as she’s turning 18 whilst in there

Any chance you can delay it by a few days ? hope you manage to go

Please
or

tabletipper · 25/01/2023 21:29

She'll need 2, I live in the US and there are no restrictions apart from needing your vaccination card to travel in and out of the USA

Please
or

Tohaveandtohold · 25/01/2023 21:33

I went to the US in September and December last year ( I already have the 3 jabs) but there was no point where I was asked for proof of vaccination at the airport (BWI and IAD). They didn’t ask anyone for it but it’s still on the website as a requirement anyway so not sure if it’s worth risking it.

Please
or

Aquamarine1029 · 25/01/2023 21:34

www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/proof-of-vaccination.html#faq

Your daughter will be under 18, I don't think she'll have a problem.

Please
or

dementedpixie · 25/01/2023 21:37

For entry to the US children age 17 or under are exempt from the requirement to be fully vaccinated so it shouldn't matter that she turns 18 while you are there.

Please
or

Nonethemiser · 25/01/2023 21:49

Thank you for that - I haven't been anywhere near an Airport for over four years - that's a very good point about whether they are actually checking them - if anyone else has any experience of flying to the US recently that would be really helpful - it's all booked for four of us for two weeks (the rest of us are completely up to date with our jabs) - I doubt whether we can easily/cheaply change the flights so I suspect in a worse case scenario my daughter and I will have to fly out the day after her 18th birthday (which is far from ideal)

OP posts:
Please
or

Dacadactyl · 25/01/2023 21:51

I hope she gets to go. Their covid regulations are bullshit imo.

Please
or

Quartz2208 · 25/01/2023 21:54

Most airlines do require proof for check in (British Airways did at Christmas) but it will be about I think the age she is when she enters which is under 18 so she should be ok.

Please
or

Vonniee7 · 25/01/2023 21:55

I went to America 3 times in 2022, was asked each time for vaccine information. I believe you will be fine as she is under 18. She will have to do a Covid test on days 3-5 once over there but you can take that with you. Your airline should provide an attestation form to complete and ask for details of the vaccine passport for those fully vaccinated

Please
or

Scienceadvisory · 25/01/2023 21:56

You will most likely have to upload evidence of jabs to your airline before you can fly. That's what I had to do with ba when flying into the USA recently. I think you will get away with it as you daughter will be 17 when you fly out.

Please
or

noodlezoodle · 25/01/2023 22:02

I flew to the US at the end of December and I'm pretty certain I didn't have to provide anything. I am a citizen but I don't see why it would be different for visitors.

Please
or

youshouldnthaveasked · 25/01/2023 22:07

Hope she gets to go. And hope they drop their jab requirement eventually

Please
or

PatriciaHolm · 25/01/2023 22:13

I had to upload vaccine details when I went a couple of weeks ago.

However, as she's under 18 when you enter the country, she's exempt. You need to complete an attestation on her behalf - when I went in the summer with under 18s it all appeared in the BA app.

Please
or

PatriciaHolm · 25/01/2023 22:14

I flew to the US at the end of December and I'm pretty certain I didn't have to provide anything. I am a citizen but I don't see why it would be different for visitors.

It is different if you are not a citizen, and not immigrating. Adult Visitors need to have had 2 jabs.

Please
or

TropicalSun72 · 25/01/2023 22:14

I went in August 22 with Aer Lingus. Had to have the Verifly app with all proof of vaccination etc but no one looked at it once. We went to New York and then onto Florida and it still wasn't checked. You will be fine as it's only applicable to 18 and over. As long as she's under thar when you get there it won't be an issue. Just tell them you'll test whilst out there. No one checks. I hope you've done estas?

Please
or

noodlezoodle · 25/01/2023 22:15

PatriciaHolm · 25/01/2023 22:14

It is different if you are not a citizen, and not immigrating. Adult Visitors need to have had 2 jabs.

My apologies, just checked and was coming back to correct myself. Absolutely no idea why the rules are different though!

Please
or

ZiriForEver · 25/01/2023 22:17

Of course it can be different. US can't easily say that nonvaccinated citizens aren't allowed to come home, but can have as many requirements as they wish when it comes to visitors.

I went in October, it was optional to upload documents during online check-in and there was a check at the European airport but not really thorough, they were checking that we have some documents ready, not the content. At the US airport no-one asked about it either.
However, they might have got tougher with situation in China.

Please
or

RaiseTheStakesAndMakeTheLastWordDuckhead · 25/01/2023 22:19

Flew to US last month and vaccinations were checked. However, she’ll be 17 so I think you’ll be okay.

Please
or

EveryoneButSam · 25/01/2023 22:22

I flew to the US recently with Virgin and had to upload my evidence of vaccination with the airline before I could check in.

Please
or

Nonethemiser · 25/01/2023 22:41

Thanks so much to everyone who's replied - we feel a bit reassured - we're flying with BA so I would imagine they'll check - hopefully they'll send through some forms quite shortly. We are due to fly on to San Francisco on the 9th by which time she'll be 18 but her second vaccine should count by then (fingers crossed).

OP posts:
Please
or

PatriciaHolm · 25/01/2023 22:51

Nonethemiser · 25/01/2023 22:41

Thanks so much to everyone who's replied - we feel a bit reassured - we're flying with BA so I would imagine they'll check - hopefully they'll send through some forms quite shortly. We are due to fly on to San Francisco on the 9th by which time she'll be 18 but her second vaccine should count by then (fingers crossed).

They don't send forms IME, they appear in the app/online when you check in. So do that as soon as you can for peace of mind.

Please
or

Changemaname1 · 25/01/2023 23:05

Iv had to upload evidence of my vaccines to be able to do online check in every time I have gone there since last year . No one checking at the airport but that’s because it’s all done online ( if you choose online check in and use VeriFLY app ) but it’s still checked just not in person , cannot do online check in without proof of vaccine from nhs app

Last month I was having a seperate issue with online check in so checked in at the airport and they asked me to show my proof there

they don’t ask at the other end or on departure from the US about vaccines it’s as you leave the uk and also having flown internally within the US I wasn’t asked there either

where you may be ok is that as she’s under 18
she doesn’t need to be vaccinated at all to fly had a slight panic about this when taking dc last time but it’s definitely not needed for under 18s so I guess it comes down to the technicalities of whether they consider the conditions met that she isn’t vaccinated on the day of departure as she doesn’t need to be and whether it’s relevant she turns 18 while out there

Please
or

EasterIssland · 25/01/2023 23:28

tabletipper · 25/01/2023 21:29

She'll need 2, I live in the US and there are no restrictions apart from needing your vaccination card to travel in and out of the USA

That’s for over 18s which her daughter isn’t

Please
or

EasterIssland · 25/01/2023 23:29

Vonniee7 · 25/01/2023 21:55

I went to America 3 times in 2022, was asked each time for vaccine information. I believe you will be fine as she is under 18. She will have to do a Covid test on days 3-5 once over there but you can take that with you. Your airline should provide an attestation form to complete and ask for details of the vaccine passport for those fully vaccinated

No COVID tests are required anymore I believe

Please
or

Changemaname1 · 25/01/2023 23:30

They recommend a Covid test while they’re for unvaccinated under 18s . It is not enforced

Please
or