Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To get a cleaner for a one bed flat?

29 replies

Turnup · 14/10/2022 19:12

I share a one bed flat with my partner. We both work crazy long hours (finance). It’s 45square meters. We can afford it but my partner thinks it’s a waste of money.

I argue that if I work until 10pm most nights of the week, I don’t want to spend my Sunday dusting and scrubbing limescale build up off the taps. I’m also a clean freak, so I notice dirt before they do.

Obviously I understand that cleaners usually have a minimum call out charge/number of hours. But I think it’d be worth it for me, to have a spotless flat.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

71 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
4%
You are NOT being unreasonable
96%
gretr · 14/10/2022 19:14

It doesn’t matter if you live in a cupboard. If you want a cleaner - get one!

PoundOfNesh · 14/10/2022 19:14

If you want it, then pay for it

These non essentials if both not on board should be paid for by the person who is for it

KruegersBoogers · 14/10/2022 19:15

If you can afford it and the time it will save you means more than spending a few quid then do it and don't feel guilty. There is normally a minimum amount of hours so what if you were to get a cleaner on a fortnightly basis rather than weekly?

FairyLightAddict · 14/10/2022 19:17

Life is too short. My sister has a cleaner for her studio flat 😂

Orangello · 14/10/2022 19:17

These non essentials if both not on board should be paid for by the person who is for it

Assuming then that the partner does their 50% of cleaning themselves? How would this even work, you ask cleaner to clean half the toilet?

BCBird · 14/10/2022 19:18

I live by myself and have had a cleaner for years now. I live in a small 2 bedroomed house. I like you don't want to clean at the weekend. Do it if that's what you want.

MotherWol · 14/10/2022 19:19

If your partner thinks it’s a waste of money and would take very little time, they’ll be happy to take on the cleaning themselves, right? Right?!

luxxlisbon · 14/10/2022 19:19

Assuming then that the partner does their 50% of cleaning themselves? How would this even work, you ask cleaner to clean half the toilet?

Obviously you can’t ask the cleaner to do half a clean which is why the poster said if you both aren’t in agreement and one doesn’t want it, you pay for the cleaner yourself if you want it so much.

Haus1234 · 14/10/2022 19:20

Definitely do it - I have one in our 2bed. They do 2 hours every 2 weeks and it’s really not that expensive and it’s great (I also work until 10pm fairly frequently).

ColeensBoot · 14/10/2022 19:22

Definitely.

PoundOfNesh · 14/10/2022 19:23

I meant the OP pay for the cleaner in general, not just to do half the share of the cleaning. That would be incredibly petty.

but if they wanted to be petty yes you could just ask the cleaner to do half the rooms.

wellillbedamned · 14/10/2022 19:24

Yes, yes, do it now and don't look back. You could be living in a shoe, but who wants to clean laces?
Do it! It costs less than a takeaway. Do it!

Meltingsocks · 14/10/2022 19:25

The compromise here is a fortnightly service, we had this when in a one bed

Whichwhatnow · 14/10/2022 19:28

We have a cleaner for our one bed flat. I work long, often stressful hours in a well paid job and have no desire to go and do the washing up or hoovering immediately after logging off. My DH has far fewer hours and less stress but is so utterly shit at cleaning/seeing mess that it was just causing arguments.

I really struggled with it initially as we should be able to manage and a cleaner is not something that is usual in our circles haha. But I can honestly say it's one of the best things I've done. Our cleaner is a superstar and worth every penny.

Lackofenergy · 14/10/2022 19:30

Get a cleaner, it 'll avoid build up resentment, paying for a cleaner is small price to pay and it is a great feeling to come back to a clean house.

DownAtTheBodyShop · 14/10/2022 19:31

Do it.

I had a cleaner for my two-bedroom flat, and I won’t even pretend I worked long hours. I’m just hate cleaning and didn’t want to spend time doing it.

Having a cleaner is like having a takeaway, you’re paying someone else to do a household task.

FreezingThyme · 14/10/2022 19:32

I agree, if your partner thinks it’s a waste of money then he can do the cleaning. If you can afford a cleaner and you don’t want to spend precious free time doing it, then I don’t see the problem. Most things can be seen as a waste of money if you set your mind on it - hairdressers (you’ve got a scissors so why waste money getting it cut professionally?; drinking glasses? (just save jam jars and use those;) you’ve got 3 shirts ( why waste money buying a fourth ). Some things just make life nicer and easier and if you can afford them, why not.

GloriousGlory · 14/10/2022 19:32

PoundOfNesh · 14/10/2022 19:14

If you want it, then pay for it

😂!

How does that work?

They clean half the flat or half the loo etc?

Do it OP! I hate cleaning. K

bloodyeverlastinghell · 14/10/2022 19:33

If you have a notice board that can be a good place to recruit a cleaner who already works in the building.

AlmostThereMaybe · 14/10/2022 19:34

I once read somewhere that paying for a cleaner is one of the top things you can spend money on to improve your sense of work/life balance and general well-being/feel-good factor. Try it and see?

NotTooOldPaul · 14/10/2022 19:38

Thank you for this post. We live in a small flat and have a cleaner who comes every four weeks. Actually, it is two or three cleaners as we use a company. Thy make our bad, clean everywhere, take out the garbage and generally do everything we need.
Do I feel guilty? No, we pay, we can afford to pay, we are giving employment to some really nice people who come to our home and clean for us.
If you want a cleaner and can afford a cleaner, then get a cleaner.

Life is for living and enjoying.

Jellybean23 · 14/10/2022 19:41

Free time is priceless, start looking for that cleaner

Hanna86 · 14/10/2022 19:49

I had a cleaner in my one bed flat, 2 hours a week. Was lovely. Go for it, you work hard and deserve it (as did I).

AThousandStarlings · 14/10/2022 20:07

When I was single and lived in my tiny flat and worked crazy hours I had a cleaner to give her more hours she also happily agreed to iron my shirts and put shopping away (and have a general tidy, water my plants). It was really good for my wellbeing.

Orangello · 14/10/2022 20:21

if you both aren’t in agreement and one doesn’t want it, you pay for the cleaner yourself if you want it so much.

i don't think OP wants a cleaner as such. She wants a clean house. As they both live there, it's a joint task. But the other partner doesn't want a cleaner. I would rather say they should do all the cleaning then, if they think cleaner is a waste of money and it's no trouble.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.