Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To keep taking pregnancy tests

38 replies

blueberry23 · 13/10/2022 06:59

Posting in AIBU cos I probably need some tough love.

I'm stressing over my line progression from 14-16dpo.

Woke up this morning to use my last FRER and throw the sticks away and now I'm worried something is wrong after a few miscarriages the last year.

Realistically I know what you're all going to say. But how do I stop this anxiety? How can I just relax in to this pregnancy?

And DOES my 16dpo line look ok to you? 🙈

To keep taking pregnancy tests
OP posts:
blueberry23 · 13/10/2022 07:00

I've had no bleeding
I've stopped breastfeeding
I'm taking progesterone and aspirin

I know things will be fine this time. But the anxiety just takes over!

OP posts:
blueberry23 · 13/10/2022 07:01

Oh and I have zero nausea. I wish it would kick in. No symptoms at all really

OP posts:
flamingogold · 13/10/2022 07:04

You are unlikely to get any symptoms until about 6-7 weeks. Can you book in for an early scan? Are you having any treatment for the miscarriages or under any sort of hospital care? Are they able to scan you early?

dudsville · 13/10/2022 07:05

I know that's a stressful situation to be in. I'm not going to say one way or the other whether i think should you continue testing or not, but what other things help soothe you when you've got a background worry?

bridgetreilly · 13/10/2022 07:06

Taking tests doesn’t make you more likely to be pregnant.

ImEasyLikeSundayMorning · 13/10/2022 07:06

There is a clear progression between 14-16

perhaps book a private scan to put your mind at rest?

krisskrosses · 13/10/2022 07:06

Why are you worried about the line?

Ichoochoochoosethis · 13/10/2022 07:07

Looks perfect progression to me-congratulations and best wishes for a safe pregnancy 😊

ImEasyLikeSundayMorning · 13/10/2022 07:07

bridgetreilly · 13/10/2022 07:06

Taking tests doesn’t make you more likely to be pregnant.

It shows the increase of HCG, or it in some cases the decrease.

So yes, they actually do to some extent.

loulou2021 · 13/10/2022 07:10

@blueberry23 I'm sorry that you're having anxiety over this. I do understand (I had a couple of ectopics and a miscarriage before my last DC) and it's a horrible feeling. I also tested quite a lot but I found that they ended up creating more anxiety. I don't have much advice but I just wanted to say there There is definitely progression between day 14 and day 16.

dakel · 13/10/2022 07:15

I was the exact same with my last pregnancy due to miscarriages. I booked myself in for an early scan around 7 weeks . Also I didn't have any "real" pregnancy symptoms till around 7-8weeks. I have no advice about the constant testing cos I was the same. Congratulations and good luck

Ragingoverlife · 13/10/2022 07:20

Remember every pregnancy is a new pregnancy.

blueberry23 · 13/10/2022 07:42

Thanks everyone some great advice here.

With my first DC and the miscarriages I had nausea almost instantly so it's a bit unnerving that I have none this time.

So weird to be praying to feel sick one day soon!

Thank you for the reassurance around the progression. I hate being this crazy lady

OP posts:
Herejustforthisone · 13/10/2022 07:44

Forgive my ignorance, but I don’t see how that helps? If it shows the hormone dropping off, there’s not actually anything you can do about that is there?

So it doesn’t make you more pregnant.

As it goes, there is a progression on my eyes. But stop testing, OP. You will be stressed needing to check, but the constant reassurance seeking will perpetuate and worsen that anxiety. You need to break the cycle. And book an early scan (from seven weeks is it?) if you want more reassurance.

blueberry23 · 13/10/2022 07:46

I have a scan booked at 7ish weeks :)

OP posts:
justsayso · 13/10/2022 07:59

Hi @blueberry23
Wanted to say I'm sadly in the exact same position. I feel like testing is almost a compulsion after a loss earlier this year. My line isn't progressing but I'm not using frers I'm using clearblue and it's p*ssing me off that I didn't get pink dye ones!!
I went to bed last night telling myself I would not test in the morning but did it anyway. Line is no darker than before, so of course my anxiety jumps again.
I really feel like I need to stop testing or just wait a week to test before making a decision.
Testing might show whether or not it's progressing, but it sadly (so very sadly) won't change the outcome. Nothing we can do will change it.
Feel free to DM if you want to chat though 💐

blueberry23 · 13/10/2022 08:13

@justsayso I'm so sorry you're going through the same thing.

I've run out of tests now so I won't be doing any more it's such a waste of money!

I have an early scan in a few weeks so will see how it goes.

How far along are you? Could you book a scan too?

OP posts:
justsayso · 13/10/2022 09:53

@blueberry23 I only got my 1st positive last Sunday just gone! So barely even pregnant. But with my last pregnancy - which I miscarried - the frer lines got darker each day like yours are. So I can't get the reassurance at the moment that the pregnancy is progressing.
I think I will have to book an early scan but again, if I lose it between now and then I can't stop it. Argh!! Who knew it would make us so crazy.
Looking at your tests I can see a definite line progression from 14 to 16.

HaveringWavering · 13/10/2022 10:04

It all looks great so far. I well remember the constant anxiety I had between my first positive test and the 12 week scan. I'd had IVF and was so conscious that "trying again" was a huge deal if that one failed as a previous one had. The more miscarriages you have had, the worse it must feel.

I only have one child and, to be honest, one of the things that put me off trying for a second was the thought of having to relive the constant anxiety of pregnancy, early pregnancy in particular.

It's all about lack of control isn't it? As long as you generally look after yourself, there is literally nothing you can do to make the pregnancy more likely to "stick". It's a waiting game and we are not programmed to just wait and do nothing. Perhaps read some self help books on meditation and other techniques for combatting anxiety, rather than looking for advice specific to pregnancy?

All the very best.

blueberry23 · 13/10/2022 11:01

Thank you @HaveringWavering

I think if I had any symptoms it would be very reassuring! Fingers crossed they kick in soon.

OP posts:
Lemonbell · 13/10/2022 11:08

That line progression looks great, OP.
In comparison with my last couple of losses, the line never really got past what your 11DPO looks like even getting up to DPOs in the 20s so I would consider your tests encouraging.
Of course none of us can guarantee anything but I totally understand your anxiety and why you feel compelled to test a lot.
all the best to you 💐

thaegumathteth · 13/10/2022 11:34

@blueberry23 just to say that with my first pregnancy i had hyperemesis from early on. When I had no nausea initially with my second I was sure something was wrong - it wasn't and she was fine.

blueberry23 · 13/10/2022 13:04

Thank you everyone for the reassurance around my tests. I think you've given me the courage to stop now. Only a few weeks to wait until the scan.......

OP posts:
sandytooth · 13/10/2022 13:06

No they don't. They just show the increase/decrease they don't cause it.

TokenGinger · 13/10/2022 16:36

The line you need to look at is on the left. The right line is the control line, the left line is the test results. Your 16 DPO result is so strong that it is taking the dye from the control line. That's a very strong positive xx

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.