Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Would you go to A&E over this?

32 replies

alittlebitworriedd · 12/10/2022 22:06

NC.

I have inflammatory bowel disease and due to this no longer have my colon, I had a reversal surgery stitched small bowel to rectum 7 years ago.

I have been doing pretty well with it until the past two days where I’ve had a lot of blood on the tissue when I go to the toilet. It has been bright red so I haven’t been worried but there has been a lot of it.

Fast forward to today and I’ve just had an accident, bloody diarrhoea, and after I was ‘done’ I felt like I was going again, but I looked in the toilet bowl and it was just thick dark red blood, a small pool of it. It was also on the tissue when I wiped.

I haven’t got stomach cramps but of course am a little worried - NHS advice is conflicting. Is this a GP appointment or a 111/A&E.

Just wondering what others would do in this position because I don’t want to do the latter if it’s not an emergency.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

56 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
7%
You are NOT being unreasonable
93%
Dacadactyl · 12/10/2022 22:07

I think you should go to A&E personally. I certainly would if this was happening to me. It's not normal at all.

AutumnScream · 12/10/2022 22:08

A&E as this can be a sign of internal bleeding.

Please dont listen to inevitable replies on here telling you to wait for a gp appointment.

SNWannabe · 12/10/2022 22:10

Any chance you could call the Gastro ward? Even at this time of night someone experienced in your type of condition might be able to advise whether A and E is the right route for you? Call your odours switchboard and just ask to be put through to the Ward directly?

Pixiedust1234 · 12/10/2022 22:11

call 111 as they can expedite an a n e appointment (I believe) but certainly don't wait around.

Good luck Flowers

PickAnyName · 12/10/2022 22:11

I don't know how easy it is for you to get to A&E; I think you should go, and it would be a good idea to have someone go with you. If you feel conflicted, ring NHS 111 and take the action they recommend; they might get a doctor to ring you back, they might recommend you go to A&E, they might even send an ambulance for you depending how serious it is. Not a "wait to see your GP" situation.

CarpetDiem · 12/10/2022 22:11

ED ASAP

FawnFrenchieMum · 12/10/2022 22:12

Do you have a contact in your IBD clinic, I have an email address & telephone number for the IBD nurses. They are usually fairly quick to answer and get you booked into clinic if they feel you need it. If not, you could post on the CCUK Facebook page and ask if anyone has the contact details for you local hospital clinic. (I’m Leeds if that is any help to you).

Having been to a&e a couple of times recently i’d avoid it if at all possible but you do need to speak to some one.

ImEasyLikeSundayMorning · 12/10/2022 22:12

Given your history, I think it's best to go.

MarmiteCoriander · 12/10/2022 22:13

Your GP cannot do X-rays, check blood results (Hb) onsite, U/sound etc.

I too would suggest A&E. Given your medical history, plus you have had rectal bleeding for 2 days, now its heavier! It sounds more than a hemorrhoid, so please get this checked. The lack of stomach pain/cramps is irrelevant.

FawnFrenchieMum · 12/10/2022 22:13

I’m guessing most of the people saying a&e immediately don’t have IBD.

AIIyMcBeal · 12/10/2022 22:14

I think it’s abhorrent that the NHS is in such a state that someone severely bleeding from their rectum is in two minds whether they should go to a & e! I’m really sorry this is happening op, and for what it’s worth I absolutely believe you should be seen immediately. You’re really taking it all in your stride to be honest, I don’t know many people who would be as calm and collected in your situation. I hope you’re seen soon and sorted asap xx

EmmiJay · 12/10/2022 22:15

Oh gosh! Please go to a&e!

AIIyMcBeal · 12/10/2022 22:17

FawnFrenchieMum · 12/10/2022 22:13

I’m guessing most of the people saying a&e immediately don’t have IBD.

I’m not at all being goady here, but I know sometimes the written word doesn’t always come across right. But could you explain a bit more? I don’t have IBD, and really curious if this is just to be expected / not be overly concerned about? That genuinely blows my mind! How on earth do people stay so cool about something that sounds like an emergency to most people 😳

lljkk · 12/10/2022 22:17

NHS111 & they will send you to A&E anyway.

FawnFrenchieMum · 12/10/2022 22:21

AIIyMcBeal · 12/10/2022 22:17

I’m not at all being goady here, but I know sometimes the written word doesn’t always come across right. But could you explain a bit more? I don’t have IBD, and really curious if this is just to be expected / not be overly concerned about? That genuinely blows my mind! How on earth do people stay so cool about something that sounds like an emergency to most people 😳

Yes, bleeding from the rectum is very common in IBD, often for days at a time, however as it’s a new symptom, she will need to be seen but it was a follow on from my previous post though saying she absolutely needs to be seen but ideally by contacting the IBD clinic as a&e are not great at dealing with in normal times let alone with how over run they are at the minute.

Whoopsmahoot · 12/10/2022 22:22

I’ve son with IBD. I’d call nhs24. I’ve been in a similar situation- my son was assessed by a doc at a minor injuries unit and admitted directly to a ward at hospital. No a and e. If you don’t feel too I’ll I’d wait until tomorrow and call gastro team directly. For me it would depend on level of pain and frequency of passing blood.

Darkstar4855 · 12/10/2022 22:22

If it’s not usual for you to bleed from your rectum and you have had significant blood loss in a short space of time and/or are unwell and feeling like you might pass out then yes, A&E.

GP/OOH could be an option as they can refer you directly in to the relevant specialty so that you bypass the A&E wait but getting hold of anyone will be difficult at this time of night. You could try 111 and see what they say.

alittlebitworriedd · 12/10/2022 22:24

Thank you everyone. I have called 111 and they said they could either book me into have a call back from an ED nurse or go to A&E. I chose the call for now and if they then tell me to go I will go. Unfortunately I was never put under an IBD team or gastro team after my surgery… was just sort of left to it.

OP posts:
Honeyroar · 12/10/2022 22:30

Thank you everyone. I have called 111 and they said they could either book me into have a call back from an ED nurse or go to A&E. I chose the call for now and if they then tell me to go I will go. Unfortunately I was never put under an IBD team or gastro team after my surgery… was just sort of left to it.

Well done. I hope the nurse calls back soon and that you get to the bottom of the issue soon (not meant to be a pun!).

luxxlisbon · 12/10/2022 22:33

Just phone 111!
There is a ‘should I go to A&E’ every day here at least!
No one on the internet can give you reliable medical advice! Why does mumsnet seem more sensible than 111?

FawnFrenchieMum · 12/10/2022 22:33

Fingers crossed you get a call back soon. Are you on any regular medication or was the inflammation totally removed by surgery? I’d try and push for a clinic contact / putting back into the IBD clinics.

FawnFrenchieMum · 12/10/2022 22:36

luxxlisbon · 12/10/2022 22:33

Just phone 111!
There is a ‘should I go to A&E’ every day here at least!
No one on the internet can give you reliable medical advice! Why does mumsnet seem more sensible than 111?

TBH, most of the 111 call handlers are not medically trained either, they just follow yes / no flow charts. In the early days it was an helpful service, now it’s a waste of time, they either call an ambulance when it’s not really needed or leave you wanting 12 hours for a call back by which time your either better or have gone to a&e anyway.

alittlebitworriedd · 13/10/2022 06:46

The clinician called me at 3:30am this morning and I had been up with further episodes of rectal bleeding so I took his advice and came to A&E. Got here at 4:30am and have had bloods taken but not been seen yet. I imagine there’s quite a wait so will update here when I’ve been seen!

OP posts:
WhoopItUp · 13/10/2022 06:52

Good luck OP

pilates · 13/10/2022 06:54

Good I’m glad you are in hospital. Hope you get sorted soon 💐

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.