My feed

to access all these features


Would you go to A&E over this?

32 replies

alittlebitworriedd · 12/10/2022 22:06


I have inflammatory bowel disease and due to this no longer have my colon, I had a reversal surgery stitched small bowel to rectum 7 years ago.

I have been doing pretty well with it until the past two days where I’ve had a lot of blood on the tissue when I go to the toilet. It has been bright red so I haven’t been worried but there has been a lot of it.

Fast forward to today and I’ve just had an accident, bloody diarrhoea, and after I was ‘done’ I felt like I was going again, but I looked in the toilet bowl and it was just thick dark red blood, a small pool of it. It was also on the tissue when I wiped.

I haven’t got stomach cramps but of course am a little worried - NHS advice is conflicting. Is this a GP appointment or a 111/A&E.

Just wondering what others would do in this position because I don’t want to do the latter if it’s not an emergency.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

56 votes. Final results.

You are being unreasonable
You are NOT being unreasonable
lovelilies · 13/10/2022 07:01

Pixiedust1234 · 12/10/2022 22:11

call 111 as they can expedite an a n e appointment (I believe) but certainly don't wait around.

Good luck Flowers

They can't, it's actually takes longer as you have to wait for them to call you back

Vikrum · 13/10/2022 07:03

I hope it's something simple and quickly sorted, OP.

bruffin · 13/10/2022 07:04

AIIyMcBeal · 12/10/2022 22:14

I think it’s abhorrent that the NHS is in such a state that someone severely bleeding from their rectum is in two minds whether they should go to a & e! I’m really sorry this is happening op, and for what it’s worth I absolutely believe you should be seen immediately. You’re really taking it all in your stride to be honest, I don’t know many people who would be as calm and collected in your situation. I hope you’re seen soon and sorted asap xx

I think it's more a symptom of MN constantly giving advise not to go to A&e, it's drip drip on here and it makes you second guess yourself

ImEasyLikeSundayMorning · 13/10/2022 07:04

You'll be waiting until handover at this point. But hopefully you'll be seen shortly after that.

Glad you're being seen.

Suzi888 · 13/10/2022 07:05

Glad you went- came on to say ring 111 then go to A&E. 111 is always better as they give you an appointment/slot so you aren’t waiting with the drunks presumably!

Fresh blood isn’t so bad but the GP will still send you to hospital for checks, just in case.

Hope all goes ok for you.

trampoline123 · 13/10/2022 07:08

As a UC sufferer I say go to AnE.

It's always easy to pass off bleeding easily as you have this condition but this sounds like a lot and not necessarily a slow build up of UC or anything.

Good luck and I wish you well

trampoline123 · 13/10/2022 07:10

alittlebitworriedd · 12/10/2022 22:24

Thank you everyone. I have called 111 and they said they could either book me into have a call back from an ED nurse or go to A&E. I chose the call for now and if they then tell me to go I will go. Unfortunately I was never put under an IBD team or gastro team after my surgery… was just sort of left to it.

I had great care with my IBD team and after surgery have just been left, even though I still have a bum wee of blood 4 times a day. The after care isn't great and hard to know where to turn

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.