My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Parents to be aware Meta/facebook new privacy issues with kids.

44 replies

privacynotnow · 12/10/2022 16:31

I'm just wondering why this is not hitting the news more.

My son has a Virtual Reality headset, last night I received a new email from Meta (Facebook) regarding new updated to the terms and conditions "Eye Tracking Privacy Notice"

Now I'm not very up on technology so I did a bit of research on this and the new VR headsets Meta Quest Pro (Due for Released in October 26th) and Quest 2 that people will undoubtedly buy for their kids charismas etc.. Will record all eye tracking and facial features of users, they will store and and record all retinal data.

What I have found out there is numerous privacy concerns as Facebook will use this technology to see how users react to adverts and content by recording and analyzing eye movement including subconscious eye movement to build a picture of the users and target for content and adverts. They will effectively be storing facial features, retinal data and subconscious analysis for their own benefit. Now to me this is very scary stuff and goes well beyond the conventional marketing and tracking of adverts etc.

There seems to be no laws currently covering this type of data collection and I'm now concerned some parents may purchase this technology with out knowing all the facts.

just one source of information. time.com/6188956/metaverse-is-left-unregulated-companies-will-track-gaze-emotions/

AIBU - to be concerned?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

50 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
22%
You are NOT being unreasonable
78%
XenoBitch · 12/10/2022 16:42

The Quest 2 does not have the hardware for eye tracking or facial recognition. The Quest Pro is going to be £1500, so I doubt anyone will be buying that for their kids for Christmas.

Lisanspice · 12/10/2022 16:46

XenoBitch · 12/10/2022 16:42

The Quest 2 does not have the hardware for eye tracking or facial recognition. The Quest Pro is going to be £1500, so I doubt anyone will be buying that for their kids for Christmas.

@privacynotnow Thanks this interesting.

So @XenoBitch have you anything useful to say or are you just going to act like your name sake 🙄. What a pointless reply.

Lookwhostalking99 · 12/10/2022 16:50

@XenoBitch

Well my teenager has been asking for this and now I'm having second thoughts. Some of us can afford to treat out family, so I don't see a need for you response.

XenoBitch · 12/10/2022 16:51

Lisanspice · 12/10/2022 16:46

@privacynotnow Thanks this interesting.

So @XenoBitch have you anything useful to say or are you just going to act like your name sake 🙄. What a pointless reply.

Was there any need for your reply?

I have a Quest 2. It does not have eye tracking or facial recognition capabilities, and it never will.

Unless OP is buying a £1500 piece of equipment that is not even aimed at children, their worries are totally unfounded.

privacynotnow · 12/10/2022 16:59

XenoBitch · 12/10/2022 16:51

Was there any need for your reply?

I have a Quest 2. It does not have eye tracking or facial recognition capabilities, and it never will.

Unless OP is buying a £1500 piece of equipment that is not even aimed at children, their worries are totally unfounded.

XenoBitch or what ever your name is, do you feel better now for your superior comments? As I said initially I am not up on technology so apologies if I put Quest 2, but the facts remain the same for their other product and it sets a president.

Are you actually going to discuss my points or are you going to try to derail my thread? Also ho do you think you are to say parents wont spend this kind of money, I send on average £1500 each on my kids so its in their price range, not every one is like you. I just hope others join with a better attitude.

OP posts:
WeepingSomnambulist · 12/10/2022 17:03

It sets a president?
Did you mean precedent?

The Quest 2 doesn't have the ability to do this. You dont seem to know or understand what you're talking about.

Also, I wouldn't actually care. What can they do with my retina data that governments wont be doing anyway with CCTV cameras using facial recognition all over the place now.

I just dont care..

WatchoRulo · 12/10/2022 17:05

Capture of "retinal data" isn't mentioned at all in the article you've linked to. That would actually be challenging to do and probably quite uncomfortable.

I don't use Meta products because I don't approve of their business, you are welcome to do the same.

XenoBitch · 12/10/2022 17:09

privacynotnow · 12/10/2022 16:59

XenoBitch or what ever your name is, do you feel better now for your superior comments? As I said initially I am not up on technology so apologies if I put Quest 2, but the facts remain the same for their other product and it sets a president.

Are you actually going to discuss my points or are you going to try to derail my thread? Also ho do you think you are to say parents wont spend this kind of money, I send on average £1500 each on my kids so its in their price range, not every one is like you. I just hope others join with a better attitude.

No, but it is poor form to come here and warn people about something you admit you have no clue about.

Meta/Facebook already have a huge amount of data on everyone that uses it. Cameras on VR headsets is a drop in the ocean in comparison. Anyone who has concerns about their kid's privacy and data would not be letting them on any Meta platform to start with.

The Quest Pro is not even being marketed as a gaming device, like the Quest is.

YABU to post in AIBU if you want fluffy replies that only agree with you.

AnApparitionQuipped · 12/10/2022 17:11

If your son is on Facebook or Meta or whatever it now calls itself, he's already said goodbye to his privacy, so it's not worth worrying about. If he isn't already on it, don't buy the headset; there must be loads of other things you could buy for that money that wouldn't involve making a gift of your son's data to Facebook/Meta.

MargotMoon · 12/10/2022 17:14

Looks like a bunch of Meta employees have jumped on your thread OP 😒

yefferson · 12/10/2022 17:14

Biometric data for the purposes of identifying an individual is special category personal data under the GDPR so there is already legislation on it which also governs children and consenting to data processing, at least.

ButStillSomehow · 12/10/2022 17:15

Wow ... OP- please ignore, ignore ignore the blatant unpleasantness up thread

WatchoRulo · 12/10/2022 17:16

ButStillSomehow · 12/10/2022 17:15

Wow ... OP- please ignore, ignore ignore the blatant unpleasantness up thread

Where is the unpleasantness?

ISeeTheLight · 12/10/2022 17:20

I take it you also don't have amazon alexa/echo or google nest etc?

Also there absolutely are laws around data collection - GDPR is pretty broad and covers all personal data. This would fall under that.

That said, I won't be buying it and I certainly wouldn't give it to my child. For the same reasons that I wouldn't let my child on any of the social platforms.

For the record I work in online advertising (in particular data driven advertising) and DP deals with cyber security/risk.

Lisanspice · 12/10/2022 17:39

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

WeepingSomnambulist · 12/10/2022 17:44

The OP was wrong. She gave our incorrect info and then moaned about that incorrect info.

If you're going to complain, then get it right.

WatchoRulo · 12/10/2022 17:44

What a load of nonsense - you obviously haven't actually read the responses.

WatchoRulo · 12/10/2022 17:46

WeepingSomnambulist · 12/10/2022 17:44

The OP was wrong. She gave our incorrect info and then moaned about that incorrect info.

If you're going to complain, then get it right.

Wrong on several fronts - retinal data, the headset and the very idea that Meta is suddenly a threat to privacy. Meta has always been a serious threat to privacy.

XenoBitch · 12/10/2022 17:47

WatchoRulo · 12/10/2022 17:44

What a load of nonsense - you obviously haven't actually read the responses.

Or her own response, which was about my username.

WhenISnappedAndFarted · 12/10/2022 17:47

Are you sure you've read the responses?

Lisanspice · 12/10/2022 17:48

Troll hunting

XenoBitch · 12/10/2022 17:51

Troll hunting

Still waiting for your useful input on the topic.

WatchoRulo · 12/10/2022 17:52

Troll hunting

Who is being nasty?

Pixiedust1234 · 12/10/2022 17:57

OP - ask mn to delete this thread and repost it with the correct information

mumofninetofive · 12/10/2022 18:03

What a bunch of nasty replies on this thread. @Pixiedust1234 why should the OP repost due to all the nasty replies, trying their best to derail the thread.

From what I have read they only said one product wrong, the rest is widely available to look up on the web and true.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.