My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Do you think this was a bit shitty of them or AIBU?

58 replies

Wonderful33 · 12/10/2022 00:26

A sofa came up on my local freecycle page, mine is falling apart so I messaged the person asking to be considered.

They said yes. We discuss measurements, they ask if I can collect it on Thursday. I tell them yes and then I contact a 'man with a van' via an advert in the paper.

He says he'll take the job and gives me a quote, I tell him I haven't confirmed a time yet but that was ok with him.. he just put me down as afternoon.

I go back and tell the seller I have arranged the van and could they kindly send me their address.

Radio silence until 9 hours later at quarter past midnight when they respond to say they've decided to give it to a family member...

Ofc I'm a bit gutted but AIBU to think that was a bit shitty?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

292 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
13%
You are NOT being unreasonable
87%
badgermushrooms · 12/10/2022 10:48

Congratulations, @Keyansier wins the internet 😂

ChiefWiggumsBoy · 12/10/2022 10:49

Keyansier · 12/10/2022 01:07

Okay so it fell through for you but its hardly the guy's fault. It sounds like he was lonely and used this as an outlet to talk to a person, god knows the world is very busy for it these days to get a response back. You sound a bit entitled tbh.

Oh my goodness, I'm used to some fantastical flights of fancy on here but this one takes the proverbial!

RampantIvy · 12/10/2022 10:53

Keyansier · 12/10/2022 01:07

Okay so it fell through for you but its hardly the guy's fault. It sounds like he was lonely and used this as an outlet to talk to a person, god knows the world is very busy for it these days to get a response back. You sound a bit entitled tbh.

Why do you think messing people about is OK?

Are you the seller?

I have seen your unhelpful replies on other threads as well. What do you get out of being unpleasant to people?

OnTheRunWithMannyMontana · 12/10/2022 11:08

@RampantIvy if you think he is bad on here you should see the Lloyds bank and the queens death post 😳😳😳

RampantIvy · 12/10/2022 11:16

OnTheRunWithMannyMontana · 12/10/2022 11:08

@RampantIvy if you think he is bad on here you should see the Lloyds bank and the queens death post 😳😳😳

A lot of their posts get deleted because they are so rude.

I'm pretty sure I saw some nasty stuff said on the queen's death thread, but they got taken down pretty quickly. The mods were kept pretty busy that day.

Aggypanthus · 12/10/2022 11:20

@TheWolves · Today 02:39
Keyansier · Today 02:37
Yes, people do because some people are that lonely. I find yours to be a bit of a dismissive response tbh. Not saying the OP shouldn't have felt disappointed by the situation as it happened to her but I would have looked into assisting this man with some kind of help instead of immediately judging.
Show quote history
Would you like a custard cream?

Thank you for giving me the best laugh I have had in ages !

dailyfup · 12/10/2022 11:45

I'm quite lonely at the moment for various reasons.
But now, thanks to this thread, I know exactly what to do.
List a load of crap on freecycle and chat to the people who phone up wanting to collect it - then at a later time tell them I've given away the crap to someone else.
Loneliness solved.

kittenkerfuffle · 12/10/2022 12:19

There is absolutely nothing in the op to suggest that the bloke wanting to get rid of his sofa was lonely, how on earth have you arrived at that conclusion.
Am I missing something in Freecycle and gumtree ads, are they really an outlet for lonely people to make friends. If so, perhaps they are lonely because they are rude and mess people about.
This response is up there as one of the weirdest I've seen on Mumsnet.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.