Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

How to pack for holiday with only 25kg 7weeks

34 replies

sunshineeestarr · 09/10/2022 13:59

Hi ladies my son and I are going on holiday to see family with TUI it's a long haul flight but my son is not allowed a suitcase for himself the luggage I paid for is 25kg how can I pack for him and myself for 7 weeks to have enough clothes and essentials and not be overweight

Thanks

OP posts:
CareBear50 · 09/10/2022 14:00

How old is your son

sunshineeestarr · 09/10/2022 14:02

@CareBear50 he's 1 years old turning two in January

OP posts:
MightyAtlantic · 09/10/2022 14:03

Pack enough for a week. Presumably you can wash clothes while you are there.

Toottooot · 09/10/2022 14:04

Surely if you’re going to see family for 7 weeks they will have washing facilities? Also pretty sure Tui will allow you to purchase additional baggage - I certainly had that option recently.

notacooldad · 09/10/2022 14:05

You don’t need 7 weeks worth of stuff. Just wash it.
check the forecast and pack accordingly.
obviously you’ll need coat and warm shoes if you are going to a cold place but less items if going warm.

Whataretheodds · 09/10/2022 14:05

MightyAtlantic · 09/10/2022 14:03

Pack enough for a week. Presumably you can wash clothes while you are there.

This! What's the climate going to be like where you're going?

Mrsjayy · 09/10/2022 14:08

Just pack fòr the week or 10 days do washing and buy toiletries when you are there.

simbobs · 09/10/2022 14:08

25kg is just the luggage allowance in your ticket price. You should be able to buy more.

sunshineeestarr · 09/10/2022 14:09

We are going to the Carribbean so it'll be very hot and I thought tui had that option but they said no it's not a option

OP posts:
sunshineeestarr · 09/10/2022 14:09

It's me and my sister going and my son both me and my sister is allowed 25 kg each I asked if I could add on a luggage they said no the highest amount is 25kg is shocked me

OP posts:
WillPowerLite · 09/10/2022 14:11

You wash your clothes.

OM82 · 09/10/2022 14:12

As others said just take a week's worth of clothes and wash while you're there. Hand washing is fine particularly if it's warm. I did ten months once with two sets of underwear, two t shirts (replaced when they wore out), a jumper, a pair of shorts and a pair of trousers. Makes life enjoyably simple!

sunshineeestarr · 09/10/2022 14:12

@simbobs no we didn't get baggage in our ticket price baggage is separate you have to buy luggage add one

OP posts:
InCheesusWeTrust · 09/10/2022 14:17

As pp saod, you wash the clothes.
I did 5 weeks with family and just arrived with hand luggage 😂
Unless you have very specific needs you can buy shampoos, shower gels, toothpastes etc locally so no need to carry it.

Sodiumchloride · 09/10/2022 14:17

you need to double check as Tui do give 10kg hold baggage allowance for 1 year olds. You’ll need to nappies as well?!

FunkyDunky · 09/10/2022 14:19

It depends on where you are going, what the weather will be like (swimshorts and tshirts take up far less room than bulky winter coats).

Firstly pack a bag with various first aid bits and medicine. A good thermometer, some calpol, disinfectant wipes, plasters, bite cream, insect repellent, suncream (maybe rehydration sachets, depending on where you are going). Then make sure you have travel insurance.

Then pack things to make your life easier, like a cloth travel high chair (depending on age of your dc), muslin squares, whatever. Speak to your family and see if they can borrow kid stuff you might need, or get it off fb marketplace locally.

If bringing gifts for family then make sure they are super small, and not taking up half your suitcase.

Clothes - pack about a weeks worth for you both, it can all be washed.

Basically as long as you have good travel insurance, some emergency medicine, clean underwear and a couple of outfits you'll be set. If you do find you need more clothes then just go to a cheap shop like primark/C&A.

Mrsjayy · 09/10/2022 14:20

Surely a baby can have hand luggage. ?

sunshineeestarr · 09/10/2022 14:24

@Mrsjayy they said on Tui only if your doing a package deal mine is flight only so he's not allowed the 10kg hand luggage

OP posts:
GailTheFish · 09/10/2022 14:37

Are you taking a car seat? You should be allowed to take this at no extra charge - if you do, you can buy a car seat travel bag and then pack that with some bulky items around the seat…

notacooldad · 09/10/2022 14:40

You’ll need to nappies as well?
Firstly pack a bag with various first aid bits and medicine. A good thermometer, some calpol, disinfectant wipes, plasters, bite cream, insect repellent, suncream (maybe rehydration sachets, depending on where you are going). Then make sure you have travel insurance.
Op is going to a country where there are shops, not a deserted island.
They sell these things in the Caribbean.
she’ll only need enough nappies for the journey and and maybe next day or her family can get some in advance. No need to be carrying them country to country.

CecilyP · 09/10/2022 14:44

sunshineeestarr · 09/10/2022 13:59

Hi ladies my son and I are going on holiday to see family with TUI it's a long haul flight but my son is not allowed a suitcase for himself the luggage I paid for is 25kg how can I pack for him and myself for 7 weeks to have enough clothes and essentials and not be overweight

Thanks

25 kg is loads for an adult and a tiny person. I usually go away for a week with the 10 kg allowance so you should be able to pack plenty for the first fortnight. Staying with family, you should have access to washing facilities and your washing should dry quickly in a hot climate.

melj1213 · 09/10/2022 15:09

Honestly 25kg is more than enough, especially if you're going to a warm climate so not taking bulky coats/jumpers etc.

If you need to take heavier/bulky items, wear them on the plane where possible (so wear coat, jumper, bulky trainers on the plane so you have layering options and don't have to take up room in your case).

Then 25kg is more than enough for a couple of weeks worth of clothes for each of you - tops, bottoms, PJ's, underwear, socks, swim stuff, maybe a couple of fancy options in case you go somewhere nice for a family meal (ideally something that can be dressed up or dressed down based on a few accessories); a pair of sandals/flipflop each; basic toiletries to get you through the first few days (buy shampoo/conditioner/soaps etc when you're there rather than taking up suitcase space, especially if you're going for 7 weeks); same with nappies/wipes (unless your DS needs to use a specific brand of nappies I'd just take enough for a few days in case of emergencies and then buy more when you're there).

KrisAkabusi · 09/10/2022 15:23

Packing for 7 weeks is no different to packing for one week. 25kg is plenty. You shouldn't be shocked, you're overthinking this

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy · 09/10/2022 15:27

Wash your clothes while you're there?

unfortunateevents · 09/10/2022 15:32

Use a washing machine, same as you would at home. You wouldn't normally use 49 different outfits over a 7 week period at home would you?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.