My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To be a bit miffed about 2 other PGCE students?

27 replies

sepakingface · 09/10/2022 12:01

I am on my PGCE placement, I attend the staff meeting every week, there are two other students in another class who have not attended any meetings, and know one in the school has said anything about it. I went to the a member of SLT to ask if I should attend and she said yes I should.

AIBU to be a bit miffed?

OP posts:
sepakingface · 09/10/2022 12:04

That should say no one

OP posts:
Quveas · 09/10/2022 12:10

Yes you are being unreasonable. What on earth business is it of yours what two other people do or are required to do?

sparepantsandtoothbrush · 09/10/2022 12:11

Quveas · 09/10/2022 12:10

Yes you are being unreasonable. What on earth business is it of yours what two other people do or are required to do?

😖 Bad morning?!

Seeing as they're all doing the same course then yes they should all put in the same amount of time and effort!

ScreamingInfidelities · 09/10/2022 12:11

Yes, you are being very unreasonable. You are a student, you are not their mentors. Mind your own business.

SillyBub · 09/10/2022 12:12

You do you.

TheMagicPudding · 09/10/2022 12:12

You're miffed because you're attending meetings that are expected of you and will be expected of you as a qualified teacher? Okie doke. More fool the other students if that's the case, it'll reflect poorly on them if they're meant to be going.

Suprima · 09/10/2022 12:13

worry about yourself. Why are you running to SLT instead of just casually asking your mentor, or the students themselves, what the deal is? Do you want them to get told off or something?

If you are confident that you are doing the right thing- great. It might be that their mentors have actually
deployed them, or given them permission to do something useful.

Your teaching career will be you witnessing other members of staff getting away with murder or bending the rules. There will always be favourites. Sometimes it might be you. Shrug off the perceived injustice and just crack on doing what you’re doing.

sandytooth · 09/10/2022 12:14

Why does it matter to you so much? People will be thinking well of you for attending.

Pieceofpurplesky · 09/10/2022 12:15

Do they run clubs or sporting activities and have their meetings at a different time?

To be fair I wouldn't be bothered about anyone else - you won't have time as you get a bigger teaching load anyway!

Bernadinetta · 09/10/2022 12:16

If a job comes up at the school and the three of you all apply, you’ll have something over the others. Or when you come to apply for a job at another school and you need your placement school to write a reference then having attended meetings will be a plus point.

OrangeBlossom28 · 09/10/2022 12:17

You're gathering evidence for your teaching standards so attending meetings counts. Focus on what you need to do and not what they're doing.

YellowTreeHouse · 09/10/2022 12:24

What’s it to do with you what they do or don’t do?

Begoniasforever · 09/10/2022 12:27

So confused. You don’t want to attend? Meetings you’d attend if you were qualified, and which would help you? But you’re pissed the others don’t have to. How old are you. This is so childish

Inkyblue123 · 09/10/2022 12:40

Concentrate on yourself. I discovered half my course was cheating - but then they all graduated with a 2:2 and went to work for daddy.get what you need to get out of your placement and dazzle them with your brilliance. Their incompetence is not your issue.

Beseen22 · 09/10/2022 12:49

I'm not a teacher but a nurse and also did placements. Some students brag about getting out early or getting away with doing very little but it kind of misses the whole point. You are not doing your placement for attendance but to capitalise on learning opportunities. As soon as you qualify you are thrown in at the deep end and anything you can learn now whilst supernumerary will help. Reflect upon what you were learning getting to participate in the staff meeting...even if its just some networking with people who may one day give you a job.

Untitledsquatboulder · 09/10/2022 12:51

Love, if you start out with that attitude I don't really think teaching is for you. I would think you'd want to go to the meetings to get a feel for how your profession operates in rl.

sandytooth · 09/10/2022 12:54

Begoniasforever · 09/10/2022 12:27

So confused. You don’t want to attend? Meetings you’d attend if you were qualified, and which would help you? But you’re pissed the others don’t have to. How old are you. This is so childish

Yes. Not sure Teaching is for you OP

Itloggedmeoutagain · 09/10/2022 12:55

You need to attend the meetings to evidence your standards
You will need to attend meetings as a qualified teacher
So attend the meetings
Don't concern yourself with others

Curioushorse · 09/10/2022 13:03

Meh. If you're secondary, it's unlikely anybody would notice one way or the other. If you ask SLT they're basically obliged to say yes, because they have to promote the importance of the meetings.

Honestly I think it probably is beneficial to you, because it'll give you an idea about the running of the school. But you'll probably have only, what a couple more before your next placement?

Generally PGCE students aren't expected to attend these sorts of things- but it's really the main place you meet your colleagues. It can be the main social bit of teaching (even if that's only solidarity at the annoying nature of the meeting).

Quveas · 09/10/2022 13:07

sparepantsandtoothbrush · 09/10/2022 12:11

😖 Bad morning?!

Seeing as they're all doing the same course then yes they should all put in the same amount of time and effort!

Don't be ridiculous. Student teachers are supervised. The only thing the OP needs to be bothered about is their own performance, and meeting the expectations placed on them to pass. It is not up to the OP to decide what other students, whether on the same course or not, do. Nor is it the OP's business to question it - for all they know there may be good and valid reasons which other people know about as to why they don't attend the meetings. And if that is the case those reasons are also not the OP's business.

The OP is only bothered because they have been told they should attend. That is all the OP needs to know. And the only reason they are "miffed" is because someone else doesn't have to. That is playground behaviour, not teacher behaviour.

MargaretThursday · 09/10/2022 13:11

Maybe they asked someone else who said they didn't have to attend.

That sort of thing happens.

2bazookas · 09/10/2022 13:13

You should be delighted that these lazy slackers are making you look good. You will have gold stars on your report this term.

Aprilx · 09/10/2022 13:13

If you are already this desperate to get out of meetings, I really think you should rethink your career choices.

noblegiraffe · 09/10/2022 13:13

Hopefully your teaching timetable will ramp up soon enough and you'll be way too busy managing your classes to worry about managing the other PGCE students.

StopStartStop · 09/10/2022 13:13

Attending tedious meetings for no particular reason is a big part of teaching. Get used to it.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.