My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Been asked to park my car further away from my house to be more convenient for person's guests

105 replies

ParkingFeud · 07/10/2022 09:01

We rent a terraced house on a green with no parking. There is space outside our house for one car and the other has to go somewhere on the green. Someone on the other side with a drive has just asked me not to park my car near their house as it is inconvenient for their guests and work men. They wanted me to park it on a separate street further away from where we live. Was I being unreasonable to tell them quite sharply that I would love to be able to afford a house with a drive but there's a housing crisis and I can't. So my car can be parked anywhere legally that I fancy. I don't understand people who think they own the road outside their houses.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1077 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
4%
You are NOT being unreasonable
96%
RedToothBrush · 07/10/2022 09:03

You are more polite than I am. I think the phrase I'd have used was "tough shit, do you think you own the road outside your house?"

MoggyP · 07/10/2022 09:03

I think you were wrong to be sharp.

And of course you would not want to inconvenience the same person all the time, so I hope you do park in a variety of other places reasonable convenient to you. Neighbourliness and all that

Imissmoominmama · 07/10/2022 09:04

Woah- they want convenience for people who don’t even live there, over your convenience?

You we’re not at all unreasonable!!

5foot5 · 07/10/2022 09:05

Those neighbours are grade A CFs expecting you to park elsewhere to accommodate their guests. You could suggest that they park in the next street and let their guests have the drive. Thus is what we do in a similar situation.

Londongent · 07/10/2022 09:05

And of course you would not want to inconvenience the same person all the time, so I hope you do park in a variety of other places reasonable convenient to you. Neighbourliness and all that

Is this a joke?

HotChocolateWithMarshmallows · 07/10/2022 09:05

How cheeky - I could maybe understand slightly for workmen, seeing as this would only be temporary. But for guests?! Naaaah I wouldn't, park where you like!!!

BuffaloCauliflower · 07/10/2022 09:05

Park wherever you like if it’s public parking.

VintageVest · 07/10/2022 09:05

Id be inclined to move my car to allow access for workmen. Depends how long the work would last.

UnderCoverFieldAgent · 07/10/2022 09:06

What?? I agree with not being ‘sharp’ but the OP can park wherever she wants. If the other homeowner has a problem with it then they need to deal with it and stop harassing her.

ChilliBandit · 07/10/2022 09:06

Was it a one off request, as in we are having workmen today and they need space for their big machinery would you mind parking elsewhere today? Or was it never park here, I am entitled enough to think I own this piece of road. If it’s the former I’d accommodate it, if the later you are not being unreasonable.

KosherDill · 07/10/2022 09:06

Tell them to park at a distance & leave their own driveway clear for visitors.

IvybankOlivia · 07/10/2022 09:07

I think if anyone should be posting a thread under AIBU here it should be them... You are certainly not.

Damnautocorrect · 07/10/2022 09:08

One off request, maybe ok.
not permanent, no

OnlyFoolsnMothers · 07/10/2022 09:08

VintageVest · 07/10/2022 09:05

Id be inclined to move my car to allow access for workmen. Depends how long the work would last.

Why??? The house in question has a drive the owner can have their workmen park there!

NightmareSlashDelightful · 07/10/2022 09:08

Personally, I would temporarily live with it for tradies. Although round here, people tend to arrange parking suspensions with the council which avoids awkwardness.

You probably sounded OTT bringing the housing crisis into it though. It's the conversational equivalent of bringing an ICBM to a knife fight.

Butitsnotfunnyisititsserious · 07/10/2022 09:08

OP can park where she wants, it's a public road. It's not inconveniencing the neighbour when she wants the space for guests / workers. They can park further away and walk, they don't live there.

harriethoyle · 07/10/2022 09:08

Their workmen can use their drive. Why should OP facilitate that?! YADNBU @ParkingFeud

Ponderingwindow · 07/10/2022 09:08

Just remember that if you park a car outside their house, you may find that the spot outside your own house is where they end up parking instead.

ShowOfHands · 07/10/2022 09:10

Workmen I understand. Where we are, if somebody is having work done - and for transparency, we are ATM - everybody else accommodates. It makes sense to ease their ability to work and prevent issues and mitigate risk. We all work together.

Guests? As a one off, yes I'd move if people were having an event or party or similar but generally keeping the road clear for their potential visitors? Nah. No way.

FaazoHuyzeoSix · 07/10/2022 09:10

Not wrong at all. Any car that is taxed and legal on the road has equal rights to any legal roadside parking on a first-come basis. They have every right to park a car outside your house if they see a space and use it, and you have every right to use the closest convenient space.

I do hope that the time is coming when people don't choose a combination of living, working and other commitments that is only feasible to manage with one car per adult though. Such a waste, and I am sure the green would be a much nover environment for everyone of the number of cars would halve.

StopFeckingFaffing · 07/10/2022 09:12

Agree with @ChilliBandit

Was the request specific to that day because work being done or were they suggesting that you should never park outside their house?

Huge difference and your response was OTT if it was the former but if the latter they are clearly CFs

PAFMO · 07/10/2022 09:15

You say in your OP you park one of your cars outside your house and one on the green.
So why is the neighbour asking you not to park outside their house?

ChilliBandit · 07/10/2022 09:22

harriethoyle · 07/10/2022 09:08

Their workmen can use their drive. Why should OP facilitate that?! YADNBU @ParkingFeud

Not always, depends how big the drive is, what equipment they need to bring in, what they are working on. When we were having work done we needed the drive to put all the materials on. We all accommodate workman round here, I often let neighbours workmen park over/on my drive if I’m not using it that day. When it’s our turn they do the same for us.

SleeplessInEngland · 07/10/2022 09:26

As a one-off, if they asked politely? Yes, I agree. It's nice to do favours for people.

If it's all the time then clearly no, that's not really on.

Nightynightnight · 07/10/2022 09:26

You probably aren't being unreasonable but I think we need a diagram to fully judge.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.