Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To keep the heating off

102 replies

BelleMarionette · 06/10/2022 21:27

The heating has not been on since last winter, and I'm determined to have it off as long as possible, given:
a) the cost and
b) that gas is bought from Russia, which then funds a war

I'm in London, so weather still quite mild fortunately.

Do you have your heating off? How do you plan to keep it off if so?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

186 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
39%
You are NOT being unreasonable
61%
etulosba · 06/10/2022 21:30

The UK imports virtually no gas from Russia.

Cosmos123 · 06/10/2022 21:31

Until I feel cold then I will put it on.

luxxlisbon · 06/10/2022 21:33

In London, I’ve had the heating on. I just have it on when I feel cold, if I have the room in my budget i’m not going to be cold in my own house.

PlantDoctor · 06/10/2022 21:33

Put it on when your house gets under 17, as WHO says you're opening yourself up to respiratory infections, mould, and long-term repercussions below this.

Also, as PP says, we don't really use Russian gas.

Dougieowner · 06/10/2022 21:35

We import practically none of our gas from Russia so don't worry on that score.

Have you run your heating at all to ensure it is operating correctly, is it serviced?

ComtesseDeSpair · 06/10/2022 21:43

Also London, worked out from our usage that between 1 October 2021 and 31 March 2022 we used just under £240 of gas total - and I suspect at least a third of that was hot water for showers and washing up rather than heating. I seem to burn hot naturally and DP is a Michigan native who scoffs at UK “winters”, so we’re pretty calm about rising energy prices tbh.

I wouldn’t stay cold if we were actually cold, though. And putting this heating on one day when you’re particularly cold doesn't mean it then has to stay on for the rest of the duration of winter.

ChiefWiggumsBoy · 06/10/2022 21:46

I'm in the NW, and working from home I'm starting to feel chilly in the day. Not chilly enough that it can't be combatted by a snuggly scarf, so I'm going to buy myself a blag Oodie Grin

wlalsn · 06/10/2022 21:46

A lot of our electricity comes from burning gas OP, are you going to stop using that too?

JudgeJ · 06/10/2022 21:48

The competitive use and non-use of energy is fast becoming the MN's version of Monty Python's Four Yorkshiremen!

Ilovetocrochet · 06/10/2022 21:50

Mine is already on! I have it set at 19 degrees which gives good overall heat in my house and keeps the mould away. I can afford my bills as I don’t spend a huge amount on energy with only me in the house but obviously I’m keeping an eye on my finances and will make savings if I need to. I would spend less on food, clothes and my social life rather than live in a cold house.

Onthegrid · 06/10/2022 21:53

Not been on here yet in the South East but my house has only got down to 18c where the thermostat is. My office, bathroom and bedroom are all on the warm side of the house so that helps.

BonesOfWhatYouBelieve · 06/10/2022 21:53

I'm in the SE and haven't had it on yet. Not due to any particular reason, it just hasn't been cold enough. We have a small house with a couple of large south facing windows so the sun heats the house nicely. It was 22 degrees in our living room earlier this evening. We don't have any set date to aim for in terms of not having the heating on, it will go on when it's cold.

ElspethTascioni · 06/10/2022 21:53

It really isn’t cold enough for it here yet, it still feels pretty mild. I am in the mindset of not wanting to put the heating on too readily, but we haven’t wanted it yet. We’ve got a couple of electric throws at the ready for working at home when it does get colder!

Dirtylittleroses · 06/10/2022 21:54

Lo, no it does not come from Russia, take some time to educate yourself.

Rosewaterblossom · 06/10/2022 21:55

PlantDoctor · 06/10/2022 21:33

Put it on when your house gets under 17, as WHO says you're opening yourself up to respiratory infections, mould, and long-term repercussions below this.

Also, as PP says, we don't really use Russian gas.

As we come out of winter and into spring, the temperatures are often 14/15 degrees in the daytime and no one bats an eyelid as they see it as days warming up and better days to come. Reverse those temperatures to autumn and suddenly everyone thinks that 14/15 is freezing to death so must heat their homes to above 17.

On a summers night if it were 15/16 degrees most people wouldn't put their heating on. Mould certainly wouldn't be an issue at temperatures just below 17, more like below 10 or 5 degrees.

Abra1t · 06/10/2022 21:55

We don’t get fuel from Russia.

APoppyLicks · 06/10/2022 21:57

We normally don't put the heating on until the weather means it's beneficial. At the moment it's mild and the house stays around 16-18° so no need yet.

ilovesooty · 06/10/2022 22:00

Do what you like. I'm not interested in other people's competitive heating deprivation when it's a matter of choice.

Blowyourowntrumpet · 06/10/2022 22:00

In previous years I've gone without heating, but only because I couldn't afford to use it. I wouldn't do it now. It causes terrible damp issues

luxxlisbon · 06/10/2022 22:01

Rosewaterblossom · 06/10/2022 21:55

As we come out of winter and into spring, the temperatures are often 14/15 degrees in the daytime and no one bats an eyelid as they see it as days warming up and better days to come. Reverse those temperatures to autumn and suddenly everyone thinks that 14/15 is freezing to death so must heat their homes to above 17.

On a summers night if it were 15/16 degrees most people wouldn't put their heating on. Mould certainly wouldn't be an issue at temperatures just below 17, more like below 10 or 5 degrees.

You’re comparing outside temperatures to indoor temperatures thought. My house might get down to 14 in the early spring but it would never get down to 14/15 degrees inside for me in the summer. My thermostat was well into the 20s for most of the summer. So an outside temperature of 14 at night after many mild days means your house isn’t suddenly going to drop in temperature and will feel a lot different to 14 when it has been that temperature and colder for a while in the autumn/spring.

Why can’t people just be slightly uncomfortable and put their heating on? I don’t think I’m freezing to death at 14 degrees but isn’t pleasant so why would I put up with it when I don’t have to?

LubaLuca · 06/10/2022 22:05

Nobody cares what you do. There are so many variables for households around the country that there's no point in comparing rules and restrictions we impose on ourselves.

Rosewaterblossom · 06/10/2022 22:17

luxxlisbon · 06/10/2022 22:01

You’re comparing outside temperatures to indoor temperatures thought. My house might get down to 14 in the early spring but it would never get down to 14/15 degrees inside for me in the summer. My thermostat was well into the 20s for most of the summer. So an outside temperature of 14 at night after many mild days means your house isn’t suddenly going to drop in temperature and will feel a lot different to 14 when it has been that temperature and colder for a while in the autumn/spring.

Why can’t people just be slightly uncomfortable and put their heating on? I don’t think I’m freezing to death at 14 degrees but isn’t pleasant so why would I put up with it when I don’t have to?

People can put their heating on 24/7 if they choose to. But as prices are double and treble what they were last winter, it's natural for people to be weary of putting the heating on. It also isn't a bad thing for people (from an environment point of view) to be more conscious about whether they need heating or not. Blankets, layers in the morning and evening at this time of year is perfectly warm enough for the majority of fit, healthy people.
January and February are the freezing months where you cannot sit comfortably, even with blankets, without the cold really getting to your bones. Where you can see your own breath indoors. Not a mild, pleasant autumn day where a blanket is perfect sufficient.

DahliasLove · 06/10/2022 22:24

So far I’ve only had it on for about 30 minutes when extra socks and a dressing gown still wasn’t warm enough. That will be our general rule this year. Layers first then heating. We are very fortunate that we moved house a few years ago to one with great insulation and better windows and doors. In our previous house extra layers and heating still wasn’t warm enough. And I really feel for people in those situations this year.

PickAChew · 06/10/2022 22:29

I'm in the NE and the difference between now and a summer evening is that the fabric of he house is warm, in summer, but you can feel the walls sucking all the heat out of you, in the winter. And it's damp, now. All the grass verges are distinctly squelchy, the pavements stay wet in the shade and there is a distinct wind chill.

luxxlisbon · 06/10/2022 22:31

@Rosewaterblossom Not a mild, pleasant autumn day where a blanket is perfect sufficient.

Perfectly sufficient for you.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.