Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

You don’t need to be housebound if you’re off sick from work

194 replies

TeaAndBrie · 06/10/2022 12:49

I’ve been off work for 3 days with a bad cold (not covid). I’m used to being on the go and spend more time out of the house than in. The last two days have been spent in bed, today I’m feeling a little brighter but get tired and dizzy quickly so not well enough to go back to work. My concentration level is terrible and at work I need to make important decisions and have staff depending on me.
it’s a beautiful sunny day outside and I was considering going out for a walk and maybe get a coffee from a kiosk (not sit in Costa or anything). My DH was mortified and said if I’m ill I shouldn’t leave the house and if i can then I’m well enough to go to work.
interested to know what people think?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

829 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
51%
You are NOT being unreasonable
49%
DeadbeatYoda · 06/10/2022 13:03

Badger1970 · 06/10/2022 12:51

If you can go for a walk and sit in a coffee shop, you're well enough to be at work.

You have no idea what this person does for work. Surely it is remiss of anyone to make such an assertion without first gaining the facts?

SeptemberSon · 06/10/2022 13:03

I'm off with a cold and just took the dog for a walk because he was climbing the walls. I'm now back and plan to be horizontal on the sofa for the afternoon as it's knocked the stuffing out of me.

Thatboymum · 06/10/2022 13:04

I think it depends on why you are off to be honest , when I was off with stress and depression for a month my work actively encouraged me to go out and about and see friends and family etc I didn’t want to do that at the time but they were really encouraging. If I was off sick with a bug viral etc I wouldn’t go out as if I can leave the house to walk and visit shops I could be at work

TheStoop · 06/10/2022 13:05

This reply has been deleted

This has been deleted by MNHQ for breaking our Talk Guidelines.

TheStoop · 06/10/2022 13:06

OrangePumpkinLobelia · 06/10/2022 13:07

TBH I would not go out because I live and work in a shittingly small village and would be grassed up, no matter how genuinely unable to work I would be.

But yes, in normal life populated by relatively normal people it is entirely possible to not be able to work a full day but be able to go for a potter and a sit.

MintJulia · 06/10/2022 13:08

I'm with you OP.

You had a couple of days off poorly, you need some fresh air and exercise, build up an appetite for a decent meal, then a good night's sleep ready to go back to work tomorrow.

PeloFondo · 06/10/2022 13:08

If you can go for a walk and sit in a coffee shop, you're well enough to be at work.

Bollocks
I could go for a walk and sit in a coffee shop a week after spinal surgery
Wasn't allowed to sit for more than 45 mins though and definitely couldn't work. But walking was part of my recovery, as was being in the gym for physio
Was so tired I would go for a walk and then sleep for 3hrs

WhatsitWiggle · 06/10/2022 13:10

There can be a difference between well enough to go for a walk and well enough to go to work. Some fresh air will be good for you. And yes, good to test how strong your body is, especially if you have a physical job.

BiasedBinding · 06/10/2022 13:11

What’s your job?

Ragwort · 06/10/2022 13:12

Are people reading the thread .... the OP is not going to a coffee shop, she is going for a walk and grabbing a takeaway coffee.
I agree some fresh air would be beneficial.

SirCharlesRainier · 06/10/2022 13:14

I don't understand how people can just make obviously factually untrue statements like this and strut around as if they've won some argument. It's genuinely baffling to me.

I'm with you OP. Go for a walk, it'll probably help your recovery, to the benefit of all parties.

Dinoteeth · 06/10/2022 13:14

Op of course its fine to go out. Massive difference between going for a coffee and going for a full shift.

Do people really think people who are off sick should never go out?

Does that also mean someone on disability / sickness benefits should never venture out?

What about someone recovering from an operation are they to be housebound until they day they are due back at work?

Recovery from injury or illness means building strength too.

DeadbeatYoda · 06/10/2022 13:15

@Badger1970 @TheStoop

Good staff deserve kindness. I wonder if you are genuinely as harsh as you make out. Or if you genuinely don't care about the people that work for you. I always find that a little consideration gives a long way with staff loyalty.

BiasedBinding · 06/10/2022 13:18

DeadbeatYoda · 06/10/2022 13:15

@Badger1970 @TheStoop

Good staff deserve kindness. I wonder if you are genuinely as harsh as you make out. Or if you genuinely don't care about the people that work for you. I always find that a little consideration gives a long way with staff loyalty.

Not so much lack of kindness as on the face of it a complete disregard for employment law

FirewomanSam · 06/10/2022 13:19

Bloody hell, OP said right there in her first post that she was NOT going to sit in a coffee shop, yet half the replies are ranting about ‘sitting in a coffee shop’. I despair.

OP, YADNBU. Going for a short walk is a very good idea if you’re at the tail end of your recovery. Encouraged, even! It’s not good for anyone to be completely still and bedridden for days on end, and you really don’t want to jump straight from bed to going back to a full day’s work anyway. A short walk to get your lungs working and get some blood pumping, and then see whether you feel well enough to maybe return to work in a day or two, is an excellent idea.

Can’t believe those saying ‘if you can walk then you can go to work’ as if those two things require remotely the same levels of energy and brainpower! What kind of jobs do you all have?!

RosieLemonadeAndSugar · 06/10/2022 13:20

I was 17 and worked in a clothing shop on a weekend. One weekend I called in sick - genuinely was ill on the Saturday and not feeling up to stand on my feet for 8 hours on the Sunday so I called in sick again.

I was 'spotted' outside another shop I had popped into to get some essentials and wasn't believed that I genuinely wasn't ill. I had a right telling off about it on my next shift and a sarcastic comment about not being seen 'doing my shopping' ... i'd literally just popped out for essentials!

TeaAndBrie · 06/10/2022 13:20

BiasedBinding · 06/10/2022 13:18

Not so much lack of kindness as on the face of it a complete disregard for employment law

I’m interested in what it states in employment law about leaving the house? I’m not being defensive, I’m genuinely interested.
I used to be a single mum so even when I felt really ill I had to take my DD to school, do the food shop and keep life going.

OP posts:
maddy68 · 06/10/2022 13:20

If you're well enough to go out for a coffee you're well enough to go to work
Sorry!

BiasedBinding · 06/10/2022 13:22

TeaAndBrie · 06/10/2022 13:20

I’m interested in what it states in employment law about leaving the house? I’m not being defensive, I’m genuinely interested.
I used to be a single mum so even when I felt really ill I had to take my DD to school, do the food shop and keep life going.

I wasn’t referring to you, but the posters mentioned in the post I quoted

BiasedBinding · 06/10/2022 13:22

maddy68 · 06/10/2022 13:20

If you're well enough to go out for a coffee you're well enough to go to work
Sorry!

What’s your job?

emmathedilemma · 06/10/2022 13:23

I've been to the gym and out for lunch while signed off sick! But it was post-surgery so i considered it more "rehab" to get me back on my feet before going back to work. I would go out, the fresh air will do you good.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Peoniesandcream · 06/10/2022 13:23

I'm not off work for a cold (ward sister) but when I'm ill I sometimes go for a walk.

Glitterblue · 06/10/2022 13:25

I'd say it's absolutely fine. There's a big difference between having a walk to get a bit of fresh air and picking up a coffee from a kiosk, and getting up early, getting ready, travelling to work, doing an 8 (or whatever) hour day and travelling home again. A day where you're not in bed and manage a walk is a good step to going back to work the next day. It makes you feel more human, more "normal" than just going straight back from being in the house where you've been feeling awful. I'd say go for it and I hope you feel better soon.

Also those saying if OP can sit in a coffee shop she can go to work- she said she ISN'T going to sit in a coffee shop, she's planning to pick it up from a kiosk.

Istolethecookies · 06/10/2022 13:26

I think that's fine. There's a difference between going out for a stroll and working a shift. Sometimes getting some fresh air is all you need to perk you back up. And if you have only taken 4 days off in 3 years, you aren't exactly taking the piss.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.