Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To not understand caffiene drinkers

151 replies

Frazzld · 05/10/2022 10:02

I had a cup of tea yesterday at 10am.
I was still having palpitations at midnight, and was wide awake. Didn't sleep until 1am.
Is it just me who is this crazy sensitive to caffiene? How do so many people chug coffee all day and not have any problems?

I'll never forget the time I had an energy drink at the library once when I was at uni, and had to go home shortly afterwards to lie down!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Frazzld · 05/10/2022 10:03

And yes sorry I do need to learn how to spell!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Mushroo · 05/10/2022 10:05

You must be super sensitive! I’m fine if I don’t have any after about 3pm.

In my youth I could have tea all evening no problem but I’ve had to switch to decaf now.

Please
or

KimberleyClark · 05/10/2022 10:05

Sensitivity to caffeine varies. I could drink a cup of weak milky coffee before bed and not have trouble sleeping.

Please
or

WeneedSamVimesonthecase · 05/10/2022 10:05

The more you drink, the more tolerance you build up to it. I started drinking coffee at about 8, I think, tea a lot younger, and it doesn't keep me awake unless I drink it late at night, and not always then.

It's not good though, I have a serious caffeine addiction.

Please
or

ErmNoThankYou · 05/10/2022 10:05

I get a headache if I've not had a tea or coffee.
The latest I can drink a tea is 9pm and I don't drink coffee after 5pm as to me that's cup of tea time.
I dont drink energy drinks at all and I wouldn't even say I drank tea/coffee for the caffeine.
I do think you sound super sensitive to caffeine though

Please
or

KylieCharlene · 05/10/2022 10:05

Could it be that you are very anxious about how caffeine affects the body and it's actually anxiety that is making you need a lie down/palpitations?

Please
or

Locsup183 · 05/10/2022 10:06

Everyone is just different?
People react differently to different foods. You just learn what affects you and what doesn’t.

Please
or

HailAdrian · 05/10/2022 10:06

I can handle one coffee a day, any more doesn't work for me. And coffee and tea both trigger a stomach upset🤷‍♀️

Please
or

NannyR · 05/10/2022 10:07

I suppose everyone has a different tolerance to caffiene - I can drink 5 or 6 strong black coffees during the day and 1 or 2 cups of tea during the evening and it has no effect on me, no problems sleeping.

Please
or

TooMuchToDoTooLittleInclination · 05/10/2022 10:07

Frazzld · 05/10/2022 10:03

And yes sorry I do need to learn how to spell!

🤣🤣

I wish it had that affect on me!!

but seriously it's something you should get checked out. That's a seriously worrying affect from 1 cup of tea. Someone I knew years ago was like you though & they had to be careful about taking various medications & was noted on their medical records in the event of ending up in hospital.

years ago though, so can't remember all the details, sorry, but I strongly accuse you get it checked out.

Please
or

NamiSwan · 05/10/2022 10:08

Unfortunately you're probably on the extreme end of caffeine sensitivity. I am a little sensitive to caffeine and can't have it after say 3pm or my sleep is disturbed. I also limit to 3 cups of tea a day. But my DH for example drinks 5-6 cups of tea a day and can drink one at 5pm and be fine going to bed. But if he drinks coffee he gets an upset stomach!

I know someone else who doesn't even drink tea or coffee that often but will have a cup of coffee in the evening, and still go to bed fine! It's just one of those things that really varies. I actually love tea, and drink a lot of low/no caffeine blends such as roobois, to get my tea fix. Absolutely wish I could drink more black tea but have to accept that it just doesn't agree with me.

Please
or

TimeAtTheBar · 05/10/2022 10:09

Well I’m the other end of the spectrum as I’m on my fifth or sixth coffee this morning.

I know I’m addicted as the few times I’ve had to go without (pre op for example) I’ve had a raging headache by about 10am.

I drink coffee all day and can happily have one or more in the evening and still sleep (although tbf I’ve usually switched to wine by then…)

Please
or

CheesyColeslaw · 05/10/2022 10:09

It's because you don't normally have it. I was really sensitive to it when I first started drinking tea but now I can have a cup of coffee and a few cups of tea a day without it affecting my sleep or giving me palpitations.

Please
or

OneTC · 05/10/2022 10:11

Caffeine is amazing and I wouldn't want to live without it.

I do generally limit it to mornings only though and 3pm at the absolute latest

Please
or

Midnights · 05/10/2022 10:12

😂 I can have an affogato and pop to sleep straight after! I'm very tolerant it seems?

Please
or

specialk9 · 05/10/2022 10:12

The last thing I drink before I go to bed is a cup of tea! I have no effects from caffeine , that is obvious, at all

Please
or

girlmom21 · 05/10/2022 10:13

I love a cup of tea before bed! I couldn't do coffee before bed though.

Please
or

MrsSkylerWhite · 05/10/2022 10:13

strong coffee first thing in an empty stomach, fine. Strong tea makes me sick.

Please
or

chipsandpeas · 05/10/2022 10:16

i love caffine but getting more sensitive to it as i get older, i really cant have any after 12 if i want to sleep at night (unless im mixing red bull and vodka)

Please
or

Blueeyedgirl21 · 05/10/2022 10:16

I don’t even feel the effects anymore, been drinking coffee since I was about 11 or so
some people just seem sensitive to it if you’ve never really had it
I knew a girl who at 19 had never been ‘allowed’ it. She used to get a fruit juice at the uni coffee shop until someone told her to just ‘get a cup of tea or something ffs’ she said she’d have to check with her mum first ?!! I’m wondering if she had some sort of medical thing. She did start drinking tea eventually

Please
or

User34352515 · 05/10/2022 10:16

I started drinking coffee at about 8

You started drinking coffee aged 8?!

Please
or

Oysterbabe · 05/10/2022 10:17

I had 6 cups of coffee yesterday and was out like a light.
It's only the caffeine that's keeping me alive.

Please
or

Changemaname1 · 05/10/2022 10:18

I don’t really like coffee so don’t drink much of it but can’t say I experience anything like this when I do

I drink tea and Diet Coke so still having caffeine and don’t experience this

Please
or

sóh₂wl̥ · 05/10/2022 10:18

I drink coffee in morning and switch to tea past midday - more habit now as thought DH drinking coffee late afternoon was affecting his sleep - I think it has little effect on me.

But people's sensitivity does vary - sometimes built tolerance sometimes genetics- I couldn't drink at all during first pg as baby reacted so violently - she can now as a teen drink tea and likes it - but even coffee cake could set her off a much younger age.

Please
or

PeloFondo · 05/10/2022 10:19

Oysterbabe · 05/10/2022 10:17

I had 6 cups of coffee yesterday and was out like a light.
It's only the caffeine that's keeping me alive.

Snap. But mostly tea for me
It never gives me palpitations, and I can drink coffee and go straight to sleep
But I'm also a redhead that needs excessive amounts of anaesthetic so not sure if linked!

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?