Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Should I report this dog for biting DH?

119 replies

heldinadream · 04/10/2022 10:17

Posting in AIBU for full range of opinions.
We live in a village. We’re having our bathroom done so are temporarily without a bath or shower, and some people we know (but not well) very kindly said we could use one of theirs, we’ve got a key and freedom to come and go.
All good and lovely. Incredibly kind of them.

They have a very large garden and a dog that runs free in the garden.
I went a couple of times to use the shower and I wasn’t comfortable with the dog, who looked at me suspiciously and followed me, so I stopped going and I’ve managed without and also spent time away so I can shower elsewhere (yes it’s taking a ridiculously long time but that’s another story!).
Anyway long story short my DH, who has happily gone there probably a good 20 times now, was chatting to one of the parents of one of the owners a couple of days ago and the dog approached him and bit him, through his trousers, unprovoked in any way as far as I can tell, skin not really broken but a massive blood clot thing just under the skin and a bruise.

Obviously DH – completely unfazed, because that’s him – has told them, they are upset and apologetic but also were concerned that we don’t report it, AND have admitted it’s not the first time dog has bitten. Second time IF they are being straight with us. DH not only happy to let it go but fully intends to go shower again and just says he’ll avoid the dog if necessary! I’m like – how? What if the dog follows you?

The people themselves are almost never there when we go, by the way.
The more I think about it, the more inclined I am to want to report the dog. But – it is in its own garden. And I really don’t want to upset these people, who are both nice but also pretty kind of powerful locally – unlike me, I’m an invisible sort. But I’m cross they think it’s ok to have the dog run free and yet gaily say to people to just come in, and presumably people who deliver stuff have to run the gamut of the dog, too.
AIBU to even consider reporting the dog?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

319 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
83%
You are NOT being unreasonable
17%
XelaM · 04/10/2022 10:22

Wow talk about no good deed goes unpunished. They were kind enough to help you out and you're in the dog's home. Now you want them to lose their dog

Teenyliving · 04/10/2022 10:26

If you report it the dog will be killed.

it’s being kept in it own garden not a public place

Mangogogogo · 04/10/2022 10:28

No. The dog was in it’s own home you wouldn't get far even if you did report it.

it also didn’t break the skin, which leads me to think it was a warning shot. It really doesn’t take much for a dog to break the skin, he was warning your partner that he was unhappy with him coming in and out of his home.

not that you have to, but have you tried bonding a little with it? Saying hello giving him some fuss when you go in? That would win my old, protective dog over for sure and just shows the dog you’re friendly and mean no harm

Octomore · 04/10/2022 10:28

I would report it. It's not the first time it has bitten, and it could be a child next. I wouldn't want that on my conscience.

ginghamstarfish · 04/10/2022 10:28

I would report any dog that bit a human, and expect it to be put down. There are far too many of these incidents going unreported/ignored. It could be a child next. The dog is also not in its own garden every time it's out for a walk, so that is no excuse.

Octomore · 04/10/2022 10:29

No. The dog was in it’s own home you wouldn't get far even if you did report it.

It's not that uncommon for dogs to kill children in their own home. Being at home doesn't make a bite ok.

picklemewalnuts · 04/10/2022 10:30

The responsible thing for the owner to do is to ensure no one enters their home unaccompanied.

That way the dog is under control. That would mean no cleaner, no tradesmen, and no needy neighbours.

35965a · 04/10/2022 10:30

ginghamstarfish · 04/10/2022 10:28

I would report any dog that bit a human, and expect it to be put down. There are far too many of these incidents going unreported/ignored. It could be a child next. The dog is also not in its own garden every time it's out for a walk, so that is no excuse.

Totally agree ^

summergone · 04/10/2022 10:30

Doubt you would get anywhere reporting it . My friends dog has bit 2 people on the park ( playing boisterously got over excited ) and the police have visited her and told her it must be kept on a lead in public . So I doubt they would be interested in a dog biting in its own home tbh

Octomore · 04/10/2022 10:31

Teenyliving · 04/10/2022 10:26

If you report it the dog will be killed.

it’s being kept in it own garden not a public place

Presumably they do take it for walks though? In public places? Where there will be children and other vulnerable members of the public.

It would be very cruel to keep a dog only in a residential garden.

They clearly can't control the dog at home, so I'm not sure why anyone thinks they would be able to control it in public.

shipwreckedonhighseas · 04/10/2022 10:31

Very unreasonable. It's guarding its home. Don't be a dick.

Octomore · 04/10/2022 10:36

The things that stand out to be are that they "admitted it’s not the first time dog has bitten" and that the wasn't a situation where the dog was alone with DH (i.e. viewed DH as an intruder entering his house). The DH was chatting with a relative of the owners at the time:

"DH... was chatting to one of the parents of one of the owners a couple of days ago and the dog approached him and bit him"

It's not like the DH was there unaccompanied, but the dog still bit him.

MrsSkylerWhite · 04/10/2022 10:39

shipwreckedonhighseas · Today 10:31
Very unreasonable. It's guarding its home. Don't be a dick“

our dog guarded our home for 15 years by barking.

please report it, maybe a child next time, or the postman who has no choice but to enter the dog’s home.

heldinadream · 04/10/2022 10:43

Octomore · 04/10/2022 10:36

The things that stand out to be are that they "admitted it’s not the first time dog has bitten" and that the wasn't a situation where the dog was alone with DH (i.e. viewed DH as an intruder entering his house). The DH was chatting with a relative of the owners at the time:

"DH... was chatting to one of the parents of one of the owners a couple of days ago and the dog approached him and bit him"

It's not like the DH was there unaccompanied, but the dog still bit him.

Thanks that's helpful because those are the bits that worry me, too. If the dog had bitten DH when he was wandering in and out on his own I think I'd just be a bit smug that I made the right decision not to go back, but the fact he was talking to a familiar person is more worrying. The parents live there by the way.

I really don't want to cause a ruckus and I don't want the dog put down. I remembered another thing - there's been at least one incident of the dog getting out and being found loose round the village - as reported on our village facebook page.

OP posts:
Hearthnhome · 04/10/2022 10:47

Hang DH or DS?

If you actually mean your dh, an adult, it should be entirely up him. He was there, he is best placed judged to make that call.

he should be telling them it’s probably best they keep people out of their home or the dog away from all visitors.

picklemewalnuts · 04/10/2022 10:48

So those two points make it different.

Whitney168 · 04/10/2022 10:51

I don't imagine it would get you far if you did report it, as it's on private property, so to me it's not worth the bad feeling of a pointless report.

Totally different if the dog had bitten someone on public land, when I would 100% say you should report it. In this case, I think your husband should have stopped going when it became clear it wasn't really safe to do so.

Octomore · 04/10/2022 10:56

Dogs are not free to bite who they like on private property. Children get killed by dogs on private property - are you saying that wouldn't be a police matter too?

Lightningrain · 04/10/2022 10:56

It’s possible that the dog feels worried/threatened when people come into its home/garden.

Dogs are very good at giving signals with their body language but these are often ignored/not noticed by humans and eventually they feel like they need to escalate (which then gets them what they want as the scary thing goes away). Most dogs that bite aren’t truly aggressive (just fearful) and to them, growling/biting/snapping is just a behaviour that they’ve learnt works to make something scary go away. They might have already tried averting their gaze, backing away, whale eye, lip licking, tucked tail (all stress signals which most people aren’t aware of) which hasn’t got them anywhere. They then feel like they’ve got no alternative but to escalate to a point where people take notice. Dog behaviour is very black and white - they do things that work to achieve a purpose. They’re not vindictive or nasty.

Of course the owners are being irresponsible in letting you in without the dog being secure if they know it isn’t happy about visitors, but I don’t think it warrants reporting them. Just ask them to make sure it’s on a lead or shut in a different room in future. Ideally they should also speak with a trainer/behaviourist to see how they can help the dog if it is scared of visitors.

Justcallmebebes · 04/10/2022 10:59

If the dog was on its own property, there's no point in reporting it. That's a risk you take on entering the property so what would be the point other than to throw back a good deed in your neighbour's face?

Oneandone · 04/10/2022 11:00

It sounds like they know what the dog is capable of and allowed two strangers into the house alone with it anyway. Stupid people.

Whiskeypowers · 04/10/2022 11:00

Lots of ill informed replies on here
dangerous dog legislation has been updated and if your dog is classed as out of control on your own private property then legally you could be in trouble. Biting someone without provocation is likely to be considered out of control but whether they are prosecuted is another matter entirely

if this is not the first time it’s happened then the owners are being very remiss to leave their dog unattended whilst strangers have been invited to use their home.

as a dog owner I would suggest your report this as what happens if it bites and seriously injured someone else?

Whiskeypowers · 04/10/2022 11:01

If the dog was on its own property, there's no point in reporting it. That's a risk you take on entering the property so what would be the point other than to throw back a good deed in your neighbour's face?

Not correct

Mangogogogo · 04/10/2022 11:01

Octomore · 04/10/2022 10:29

It's not that uncommon for dogs to kill children in their own home. Being at home doesn't make a bite ok.

Yeah I get you.
However, this was a stranger coming into the dog’s home. Plenty of people have guard dogs and they’re not illegal.

the dog will 100% not be PTS for this incident.

im not really sure what the op wants from this

Octomore · 04/10/2022 11:02

Scenario for you: You visit a friend's house with your child. The friend's dog bites and very seriously injures your child.

You would surely report that? Or would you just say, "Well I entered the house so I took the risk...". The dog being in its own home makes absolutely no fucking difference.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.