Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Dd injured - not happy with A&E.....

247 replies

whojamaflip · 04/10/2022 07:44

Posting here for traffic

Dd took a crashing fall from a height at sports training last night and has hurt her foot and unable to bear weight on it.

Went to A&E last night and they took X-rays and said her ankle was fine. They wouldn't listen to her when she repeatedly told them the pain was under her arch and across the top of her foot not in her ankle. Sent her home still unable to weight bear with no crutch's and a self care leaflet for ankle injuries.

Would ibu to take her to our local minor injuries unit today for a second opinion? She's on paracetamol and ibuprofen alternating every 2 hours and it's only just taking the edge of the pain. Foot is swollen along the outside and across the bridge and is very painful to the touch. She also has a high pain threshold so when she is crying in pain I sit up and take notice!

Dh reckons they will review her X-rays as a matter of course this morning and will ring if they've missed anything - is this right?

OP posts:
ColinRobinsonsfamiliar · 04/10/2022 07:47

Firstly are you absolutely sure she should be having paracetamol and Brufen every 2 hours? That does not seem to be recommended. Brufen is 8 hourly and paracetamol is 4 hourly with a maximum 24 hour dosage.

Secondly your partner is right, they will review X-ray today, if anything seen they will call back.

Beautifulsunflowers · 04/10/2022 07:50

If that was my dc I’d go to minor injuries this morning. Get a second opinion. Things do get missed sadly.

whojamaflip · 04/10/2022 07:51

I always thought you could alternate ibuprofen and paracetamol every 2 hours?

Is there anything stronger I can buy otc as she been up all night with the pain?

Good to know they do review so fingers crossed if there is anything they will ring me. Thankyou

OP posts:
Anunusualfamily · 04/10/2022 07:51

Did she have an X-ray of her foot or ankle?

KangarooKenny · 04/10/2022 07:53

That’s too much painkillers , stop it !
Is she elevating the foot ?
Did they X-ray the foot ?

ColinRobinsonsfamiliar · 04/10/2022 07:53

Can you calculate how much of each she has had in the last 24 hours? See if it’s within recommend dosage?

CrookCrane · 04/10/2022 07:54

It took 3 days for my DC’s X-ray to be reviewed then we got a call to say it was broken and to come back.
Nothing stronger OTC for a child OP. You need to work out what she’s had already and make sure she doesn’t have more than the allowed dose in 24 hours. This is especially important for Paracetamol don’t be tempted to go over the dose. Use an ice pack and elevate her foot. Google “RICE” for injuries.

DifficultBloodyWoman · 04/10/2022 07:55

Things get missed. Especially fractures on feet. I say that having broken my foot, ankle and several toes on various occasions.

Take her back. Explain she is still in pain and that you are more concerned about her foot than her ankle.

FYI - when I broke my ankle, I was in a lot of pain due to the swelling and soft tissue damage. When I broke my foot, I was in absolute agony but there was a small bruise (away from the break) and zero swelling. I was initially waived off by minor injuries for the broken foot and had to return the following day.

Anunusualfamily · 04/10/2022 07:56

is she getting it up and elevated above her hip when she’s sat down. Cold pack for 20mins at a time. PP is correct about paracetamol and ibuprofen. Check she’s having the correct dose on the bottle at the right intervals.

MrsElijahMikaelson1 · 04/10/2022 07:56

Hopefully they will review the X-ray but it will depend on what they X-ray’d…if they only focussed on the ankle it won’t actually show the forefoot. So yes I’d go in to minor injuries and point exactly to the pain.

toomuchlaundry · 04/10/2022 07:57

I tore ligaments in my foot, told it can be just as painful as a break and can take longer to heal. I didn’t get crutches or painkillers when I went to A&E

AlansFungalFootPowder · 04/10/2022 07:58

how old is your daughter? Need to be careful with painkillers - always read the packaging carefully.

friedbrainrightnow · 04/10/2022 07:58

i also thought paracetamol at 2 brufen at 4, paracetamol at 6 brufen at 8 type thing was ok?

OP I hope your daughter is ok. I’d definitely go for another opinion.

CatHatSat · 04/10/2022 07:59

I also tore ligaments and was put in a boot with crutches to stabilise the ligaments while they healed.

On review of my X-ray they found a break, but the treatment was the same with boot and crutches.

I would take her back this morning, I can’t describe the pain it was worse than anything I’ve felt before and the boot was the best pain relief.

CrookCrane · 04/10/2022 08:03

friedbrainrightnow · 04/10/2022 07:58

i also thought paracetamol at 2 brufen at 4, paracetamol at 6 brufen at 8 type thing was ok?

OP I hope your daughter is ok. I’d definitely go for another opinion.

Well you were wrong. Sometimes for adults docs say you can take a high dose of ibuprofen but never for Paracetamol and obviously with children you need to be extra careful.

JackiePeralta · 04/10/2022 08:03

Take her back. Mine had a broken growth plate in her heel from a sports injury that a&e missed despite our request for a further review. Took her private for a scan and they spotted it instantly. Is it bruised?

friedbrainrightnow · 04/10/2022 08:04

Ok thanks for clarifying Hmm

sunflowerdaisyrose · 04/10/2022 08:08

My daughter had similar and was x-rayed and told it was not broken. No physical examination at all. I wasn't happy with the examination or her pain levels so took her somewhere else the next day where they x-rayed a wider area and were much more thorough checking her foot and it was broken. I'd take her somewhere else.

NeverCleanAgain · 04/10/2022 08:09

Go to minor injuries if you still think it might be broken. My experience of broken feet is that it’s often “yes, it’s broken”, “it might be broken” and “it’s not broken” all end up with a tubigrip and advice to rest it. There are so many little bones in the feet and they very easily impressively swell up and bruise without breaking. Equally if they do break there’s often not a lot you can do with them other than rest.

Why does your DH think her X-rays would be reviewed again? Surely she’s been discharged so they’ll just be bunged in with her notes.

MrsPelligrinoPetrichor · 04/10/2022 08:10

Does she have any support like a cohesive bandage? That can make all the difference,she also needs ice and elevation ,ice no longer than 10 mins at a time.

A sprain can take as long as a break if nit longer to heal so she should she a physio for excercises and strapping advice.

mountainsunsets · 04/10/2022 08:10

ColinRobinsonsfamiliar · 04/10/2022 07:47

Firstly are you absolutely sure she should be having paracetamol and Brufen every 2 hours? That does not seem to be recommended. Brufen is 8 hourly and paracetamol is 4 hourly with a maximum 24 hour dosage.

Secondly your partner is right, they will review X-ray today, if anything seen they will call back.

You can take ibuprofen every four hours.

Anunusualfamily · 04/10/2022 08:14

@NeverCleanAgain because that’s exactly what happens. All X-rays are reviewed by the person that sees the patient in a&e or wherever and then the X-ray is reported by a radiologist or a reporting radiographer who writes a brief report on what the X-ray shows

Anunusualfamily · 04/10/2022 08:15

@mountainsunsets terrible advice. The correct dose of ibuprofen for a child should only be taken 6-8 hourly.

MyneighbourisTotoro · 04/10/2022 08:17

You can take paracetamol and ibuprofen every 4 hours if needed.

Could you ring the hospital to request they review the x-ray? If not then I’d take her to the minor injuries as things can and do get missed, she sounds like she is in a lot of pain, I hope she recovers quickly!

andtheweedonkey · 04/10/2022 08:17

I'd take her back.
If they only xrayed her ankle, even if they do review it, it might not pick up a break in her foot.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.