My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

If you found a stamped addressed envelope, would you post it?

71 replies

Thealarmhasgoneoffagain · 03/10/2022 09:17

I left an envelope on a shop till which had an address and a stamp on. It was very thin and slightly see through so obviously no cash or anything worth stealing.

The shop said they haven't seen it so I guess someone picked it up with their shopping.

Would you post it, if you found it? In all honesty, I'm not sure if I would because it seems somehow wrong to, as if I'm taking responsibility for someone else's decision.

In my case, it doesn't matter if they do or don't but the recipient and me are curious to see if it turns up.

YANBU - I would NOT post it.
YANU - I would post it.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

423 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
73%
You are NOT being unreasonable
27%
WinOutdoors · 03/10/2022 19:38

If I'm honest I'd pretend not to notice and leave it on the till

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll · 03/10/2022 19:48

I haven't heard the words "stamped addressed envelope" since Blue Peter!

I was telling my DS about when we used to see adverts in papers and magazines and send off for a catalogue or whatever in the post and had to include a 'stamped, self-addressed envelope'. Also, sometimes, postal orders!! I might as well have been telling him about the days when we chased woolly mammoths and used rudimentary tools to make clothes out of their skins Grin

I would always try to reunite a found item - be it a wallet, letter or whatever - with the owner. A dropped stamped addressed envelope's owner is surely the person whose name and address are written on it? It's completely different if you 'find' it in somebody's house/study/bag, where they might not have decided whether or not to send it - but if they were in any doubt about doing so, they needed to hold on to it much better than dropping it in the street!

Solmum1964 · 03/10/2022 19:50

ChagSameachDoreen · 03/10/2022 19:35

I recently used SAE in a message to my 28 year old son. He had no idea what I was on about!

WhileMyGuitarGentlyWeeps · 03/10/2022 19:54

PMSL at you saying you looked through it and there didn't seem to be anything worth stealing! 😂

Bute yeah I would post it. I have done this a few times over the years... Seen a letter with an address and a stamp on the envelope, and have posted it.

WinOutdoors · 03/10/2022 20:01

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll · 03/10/2022 19:48

I was telling my DS about when we used to see adverts in papers and magazines and send off for a catalogue or whatever in the post and had to include a 'stamped, self-addressed envelope'. Also, sometimes, postal orders!! I might as well have been telling him about the days when we chased woolly mammoths and used rudimentary tools to make clothes out of their skins Grin

I would always try to reunite a found item - be it a wallet, letter or whatever - with the owner. A dropped stamped addressed envelope's owner is surely the person whose name and address are written on it? It's completely different if you 'find' it in somebody's house/study/bag, where they might not have decided whether or not to send it - but if they were in any doubt about doing so, they needed to hold on to it much better than dropping it in the street!

A friend and I were talking about a time when I lived in Turkey and he was living in Australia. We planned for him to come for a holiday in Turkey and made all the arrangements by letter!

Even to us it seems madness now and we lived it!

StoneofDestiny · 03/10/2022 20:03

Yes, without a doubt

Canthinkofaname79 · 03/10/2022 20:04

I wouldn't post it in case the sender had changed their mind.

BasilParsley · 03/10/2022 20:10

Which newspaper are you writing an article for? Sounds too planned...

WestendVBroadway · 03/10/2022 20:11

I think I would post it. I mislaid an addressed and stamped Christmas card one year. I hoped someone would post it, but the recipient never received it. The cynic in me thought someone had steamed off the stamp and re-used it. I shall return to this thread in a few days to see if OP updates us on whether or not it gets delivered.

BCBird · 03/10/2022 20:13

Yes I would post it.

Saffy1999 · 03/10/2022 20:14

Yes, I would post it for sure.

Tootief · 03/10/2022 20:16

Do you remember using stamps as currency? If you bought something from a magazine,you could post them a cheque, postal order or postage stamps.

I know my mum used to go to the post office and by stamps to pay her gas bill but I think they were different stamps?

2MinuteRice · 03/10/2022 20:37

If I noted in the shop I would hand it in.
If I found it in my shopping I'd get the kids to post it, postbox is 5 mins from the house and they can take the dog!

GooseberryCinnamonYogurt · 03/10/2022 20:51

YellowTreeHouse · 03/10/2022 09:19

No I wouldn’t post it.

Why wouldn't you?

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll · 03/10/2022 22:39

Even if the sender had put their full 'from' address on the back, if you dropped it back at theirs, they would then assume it had been returned by Royal Mail and worry that they'd got the wrong address or that their 'friend' had moved without telling them or something.

I did read somewhere, a long time ago (I don't know if it was actually a true thing that somebody really did - sounds far more like a Viz tip to me), that you could put a letter in the postbox with the 'from' address on the back actually being the intended recipient's address and then any old address on the front, without using any stamps. That way, RM would supposedly refuse to deliver unpaid-for mail and 'return' it to the 'sender' - unwittingly doing exactly what you wanted and giving you a freebie Grin

OneTC · 03/10/2022 23:11

I wouldn't.

What if the person had changed their mind about posting it and it contained something important?

I'd hand it in though

Fishandchipsupper · 03/10/2022 23:13

I once left a birthday card in a supermarket trolley, some kind stranger posted it for me, as my dad received his card. I’d post someone else’s letter.

WeBuiltThisBuffetOnSausageRoll · 03/10/2022 23:33

What if the person had changed their mind about posting it and it contained something important?

Would they really get to the point of clutching it in their hand in the street and then drop it without noticing or thinking about it?

Surely, a card or letter that you fully intended to post all along would occupy your mind less - to the extent that it might just drop out of your hand - than would one on your person about which you were having massive second-thoughts for having written/whether you should send it?

Mentally, you might well consider Auntie Mabel's birthday card 'dealt with' once you've got it in your hand and ready to post, with the final stage of popping it in the post box just a formality. I think a letter telling your boss to shove her job, even though you aren't at all convinced that you're doing the right thing, would play far more significantly on your mind right up until the point of actually posting it slowly into the box.

PurpleFlower1983 · 03/10/2022 23:35

Yes definitely, if they’ve put a stamp on the intention is clear.

Isittimeformynapyet · 03/10/2022 23:41

I did exactly that when I found a stamped addressed letter in the road.

I sometimes wonder if the sender found out that their letter had been posted for them by a stranger.

Tickledpickled · 03/10/2022 23:41

I would!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.