Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Deputy Head already not liking me?

125 replies

hotthetemperature · 30/09/2022 22:26

I am a student teacher on placement, I got a catty remark from the Deputy Head, after leaving school around 3.30 this week. Something like "You're straight out of the door as soon as it is possible to do so".

It is my first week and I am not teaching any lesson yet but I have to admit I feel upset, which I know is stupid and I need to grow up and just carry on, which I will do.

OP posts:
Phineyj · 01/10/2022 08:24

What @glamourousindierockandroll describes does sound lovely though - I've never had a department like that. I would definitely stay for a quick chat if there was the possibility of talking with colleagues who teach the same subject/age - that is valuable.

Phineyj · 01/10/2022 08:25

Or to do tomorrow's photocopying and avoid the morning battle....

Haudyourwheesht · 01/10/2022 08:29

I'm so glad I teach in Scotland.

While I will stay if I need to, I've two kids to pick up from different parts of the city and nursery aren't delighted if you're there after 6. It's generally a stampede to the door at 3 in my school though: teachers knocking kids flying on their way out.

God knows when the pencils get sharpened.

Chuckles19 · 01/10/2022 08:37

Don’t worry op. It’s just jealousy that you are able to leave ‘early.’ Passive aggressive comments are not need in the work place.

There is a ridiculous expectation for teachers to work outside contracted hours, unpaid. SLT shouldn’t be promoting this though!

Perhaps find out what time the teachers are contracted until. For example, I have to stay half an hour later than school ends and you could stay until that time as a compromise. But remember that you are not obligated to as you’re not under contract.

savethewales · 01/10/2022 08:38

Fuuuuuckit · 01/10/2022 06:12

In week one of your teaching practice, even with zero % teaching I would expect you to stay until 4, unless you've been given express permission to leave early. Any investment you put in now (policy reading, planning, observation write-up, schemes of work etc) will pay dividends in the coming weeks.

Remember the time they are putting into hosting you and that your mentor is giving on top of their own work. I would be in touch with your link tutor/placement team about your floating off as soon as the kids leave. Huge flag for professionalism and teaching standards. There is never nothing to do in school, certainly not in your first week in placement.

You are not making a good first impression op.

Remember they get paid for hosting you and they’ll treat you as complete slave labour. I finished my SCITT in June and I was regularly the full time class teacher with no TA or support for weeks at a time to save them hiring supply. I was organised and a great teacher, feedback provided by the uni and schools when I submitted how I’d hit my teaching standards, all with a four month old baby at home when I first started. I wouldn’t have succeeded in your school, in that kind of environment, and that’s why so many people are leaving the profession.

Noteverybodylives · 01/10/2022 08:40

I would have a reply ready - like I’m making the most of it whilst I still can. Or I go straight to the university library to get my assignments done.

I struggled with this myself and often felt I needed to hang around until 4:30 when my mentor left but it was such a waste of time!

Even now as a qualified teacher I much prefer staying extra late 1 or 2 days a week and then leaving as soon as I can on the other days.

TheFallenMadonna · 01/10/2022 08:41

I don't think it was an appropriate remark to make, but I also don't think it means she "doesn't like" you. It means she thought you were leaving early. Don't read personal animosity into it just yet.

donttellmehesalive · 01/10/2022 08:47

"Remember they get paid for hosting you and they’ll treat you as complete slave labour."

But the teacher doesn't. Who may now be spending some of her time supporting op.

In any professional trainee position, it's good manners to ask if there's anything that needs doing before you head off.

I wouldn't bat an eye if a trainee asked that at 3:45, or told me they'd be leaving on the dot of 3:30 because they had something on, but just walking out at 3:30, without an explanation, without asking if there's anything they could help with, for a week, yes that would be unusual and a bit rude imo and I make it my mission to work the fewest hours possible.

Jconnais1chansonquivavsenerver · 01/10/2022 08:50

CorvusPurpureus · 30/09/2022 22:49

I'd say you've both quietly marked each others' card.

If you want a full time teaching job at this particular school, after completing your PGCSE, she would like to see you sharpening pencils for an hour or so after the kids leave.

You may, of course, given the huge recruitment & retention crisis in teaching in the UK, not be inclined to worry too much about this.

You may, of course, given the huge recruitment & retention crisis in teaching in the UK, not be inclined to worry too much about this.

Brilliant! Dry and to the point.

YingMei · 01/10/2022 08:51

I presume you are a matter of about a week into a placement, therefore you are mostly observing rather than actually teaching.

I have a PGCE student and she is knackered, I've positively encouraged her to go home asap. The headteacher was very rude, don't bother applying for a job there if one comes up. Good luck for the rest of your programme.

Abraxan · 01/10/2022 08:58

HammerMyhome · 01/10/2022 01:09

so teachers must earn shit loads compared to most if their hours are 8-3?

The op is a student teacher not a qualified working teacher.

I teach and have done for years in various forms. Some days I leave not long after the children. Some days I leave an hour or two after the children. I'm always in at least 30-40 minutes before then, sometimes more.

Personally I prefer to work from home as my tech is better than at school. So I may well leave not that long after the children but then do my other hours at home in the evening, weekends or holiday time.

But I suspect you know that really.

savethewales · 01/10/2022 08:58

Where does she say she has walked out at 3:30 without checking with the class teacher?
You, and the Deputy Head are assuming this.

Teacher’s working for free in unsupportive environments is why there’s a huge issue with teaching. Plugging the gap isn’t fixing it.

olddustbag · 01/10/2022 09:02

savethewales · 01/10/2022 08:38

Remember they get paid for hosting you and they’ll treat you as complete slave labour. I finished my SCITT in June and I was regularly the full time class teacher with no TA or support for weeks at a time to save them hiring supply. I was organised and a great teacher, feedback provided by the uni and schools when I submitted how I’d hit my teaching standards, all with a four month old baby at home when I first started. I wouldn’t have succeeded in your school, in that kind of environment, and that’s why so many people are leaving the profession.

Hosting costs way more that they get 'paid'

olddustbag · 01/10/2022 09:03

Jconnais1chansonquivavsenerver · 01/10/2022 08:50

Brilliant! Dry and to the point.

She Amy well be writing you reference and of course taking the informal phone call from a prospective employer to ask about you

Not all jobs are equal. Some schools are not struggling, they may be the ones the OP would want.

surreygirl1987 · 01/10/2022 09:06

I disagree.
The OP doesn’t need to toughen up. The member of SLT concerned needs to learn some manners and understand that the management of people doesn’t involve making snide little remarks to new, inexperienced staff.

Good managers lead, facilitate and support.
Poor managers intimate, dictate and humiliate.

As I said above, I leave school straight after the children. I have a break and I then spend every evening doing school work. My work gets done.
We have enough to deal with without snippy little comments from SLT (or other colleagues).

Absolutely.

Abraxan · 01/10/2022 09:06

Op

If it's the deputy head unless she is your mentor. If they are your mentor then ask what needs to be done, so they need assistance in prepping for tomorrow, etc.

If they aren't your mention, did you ask your mentor or class teacher if anything needed to be done in preparation for the next day, before leaving? That's the person you need to be speaking too about leaving times.

Fwiw other teachers may well be busy after school so probably don't want to have to sit and just chat with students straight away, as some posters suggest you do. That's why we encourage all of our staff to take a proper lunch break and we encourage our students to take their lunch in the (very social and usually quite busy) staff room. This is where a lot of informal chats happens. I know this is school dependent but your school will be able to let you know what is the best approach.

Noteverybodylives · 01/10/2022 09:06

so teachers must earn shit loads compared to most if their hours are 8-3?

I’m a single parent so I’m usually gone by 4:30 the latest.

Which sounds great!
If it wasn’t for the fact that I then spend my evening working too.
And of course all of the parents evenings, open days, meetings etc where you have to stay until 7/8pm.

itrytomakemyway · 01/10/2022 09:07

Why are so many people suggesting that the student teacher hang around to chat with the teacher at 3.30 on a Friday? i was HOD and trained many student teachers. trust me , the last thing I wanted to do at the end of the week was help them look like they were busy and enthusiastic by 'chatting' with them. There are far better times in the week to have talks with your mentor.

All of those piling on telling students that they should work beyond the school day are contributing to the disappearance of work life balance. I left teaching because I could no longer sustain the 7am - 4.30 PM days in school - plus two days when meetings kept me there unil 5PM every week. This on top of weekends and holidays where I was doing crazy amounts of work at home.

Teaching is brutal.

Goatinthegarden · 01/10/2022 09:14

Whenever I’ve had a teaching student, I ask them to arrive around 0830 the first week they aren’t teaching. I like to use my morning to prep and as they are observing, they don’t need to be in any earlier. Arriving shortly before the pupils come in means I can talk to them about the learning happening that day and what they should be doing to get the most out of their observations.

I would expect that they would stay later though so that we can discuss what they have seen and what they need to plan or prep going forwards. Most students have tasks given to them by the uni to carry out and they usually need to discuss these with the class teacher. Usually they need to create a teaching file and they need policies, planning information and other documents that can’t be shared during class time.

I wouldn’t expect you to hang around for no real reason, but certainly at least 15-30mins extra to make sure you have everything you need. I like to come in early and leave early, but when I have a student, I often stay later to help them. Students often want to talk things over and ask questions. Leaving at 3:30 could indicate that you’re not being properly supported by your class teacher.

In my school, as long as we are in class for contact hours, we can arrive and leave when we want. We are not expected to work extra hours for the sake of it, but teaching is a job that does require some level of additional commitment. I work a lot less hours than I did as a newly qualified teacher, but my job still cannot be done purely within the hours that the children are in the building.

savethewales · 01/10/2022 09:16

olddustbag · 01/10/2022 09:02

Hosting costs way more that they get 'paid'

It doesn’t outweigh the savings they make by using you to teach full time. Also, bare in mind the student teacher is paying to do the course so why spend time showing face at school when she could be doing essays or planning?

JuneOsborne · 01/10/2022 09:22

Teaching has to be one of the worst professions for work life balance. (I'm not a teacher in a school, but I know lots!)

One of the perks (and there don't seem to be many) had to be the fact that sometimes you can hot foot it out of there relatively early.

I say good for you. Your boundaries wrt work are important to establish early in a career known for never having everything finished.

Presumably you don't leave at that hour every day, everything that was critical was done, and you work plenty outside of school.opening hours?!

Some schools and their slt aren't the right fit for teachers. You might be in one of those right now. They aren't all the same!

Helpmewithteen · 01/10/2022 09:45

From the looks of this thread, it seems to me that the reason why teachers get so much work piled on them; why there are these ridiculous expectations (for instance to differentiate planning for 45 hours of teaching in 5 hours of PPA time) and why teachers are expected to do so much additional work and time for no additional pay, is because there are so many teachers simply willing to do it…and try to enforce others to do it also.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Helpmewithteen · 01/10/2022 09:46

JuneOsborne · 01/10/2022 09:22

Teaching has to be one of the worst professions for work life balance. (I'm not a teacher in a school, but I know lots!)

One of the perks (and there don't seem to be many) had to be the fact that sometimes you can hot foot it out of there relatively early.

I say good for you. Your boundaries wrt work are important to establish early in a career known for never having everything finished.

Presumably you don't leave at that hour every day, everything that was critical was done, and you work plenty outside of school.opening hours?!

Some schools and their slt aren't the right fit for teachers. You might be in one of those right now. They aren't all the same!

The only perk for me is the holidays. If gov change those (I’m in Wales), then I’m out. It simply won’t be worth it for me.

LittleMG · 01/10/2022 09:51

My advice is to get used to it or get out because it gets a whole lot worse than that x

Shoes232 · 01/10/2022 10:10

Revolvingwhore · 01/10/2022 07:09

You're.

Yawn.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.