Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Deputy Head already not liking me?

125 replies

hotthetemperature · 30/09/2022 22:26

I am a student teacher on placement, I got a catty remark from the Deputy Head, after leaving school around 3.30 this week. Something like "You're straight out of the door as soon as it is possible to do so".

It is my first week and I am not teaching any lesson yet but I have to admit I feel upset, which I know is stupid and I need to grow up and just carry on, which I will do.

OP posts:
Hercisback · 30/09/2022 23:10

Most of the teachers where I work are out of the door by 3.30 on a Friday. She sounds OTT or she was making conversation and phrased it badly. Don't over think it, go in next week and show what you can do.

QueenofLouisiana · 30/09/2022 23:20

We are encouraged to leave when we are ready to do so, we simply need to be prepared to teach our lessons the next day. We might prepare st school, at home…that evening or early in the morning. Usually it’s a mixture of all of them, depending on what we need to do.
In the last week I’ve left at 5.20 on one day, but 12.00 on a day when I needed to do my PPA at home and wait for a home repair. Likewise, I’ve arrived any time from 7.35 (today) to 8.00 (a couple of days).
No comment made from any member of SLT. I appreciate working for my head.

TheMoth · 30/09/2022 23:28

I don't know many teachers who leave at the same time the kids do.
It's a long time since I was a trainee or nqt, but I can see how, work nothing really to do, you would leave early. Although I thought most schools wouldn't allow you to leave until about 10-15 minutes after the bell.

Depending on how big your school is the aht might not have realised you're a trainee. Very occasionally, due to child commitments, I have to leave before 330. I'm used to working until930 or later and pretty much every Saturday, but I still get the guilts if I leave early.

curlymom · 30/09/2022 23:29

I’m a teacher. If you and no work to,prepare there’s no reason not to,go.
Perhaps as k the deputy head on Monday what the expectations are of you at the end of the day. If they don’t ask you to do anything what’s the point of staying later!?

Helpmewithteen · 30/09/2022 23:34

Ah don’t worry about it op. I actively tell my student teachers to go home once school is finished. As long as their planning and marking is done and they are making progress, I really couldn’t care less when or where they are doing the work.

My school finishes at 3pm and I’m usually out of the door by 3.15pm (except when I have a meeting). But, there again I choose to come into school at 7am and I’ll work through my lunchtime to keep on top of things.

I’ve had people comment on the time I leave before and it’s water off a duck’s back. I don’t mention I was in an hour and a half earlier than they were and they’ve never seen me in the staff room. I know I do my fair share and more and after 20+ years in teaching, you learn not to take any notice anyway.

And trust me, you wouldn’t want to work where SLT have these ‘expectations’ anyway.

TheMoth · 30/09/2022 23:46

I think it also depends on the school. We get minimum frees in my place, so you only really get a chance to read emails/ catch up/ phone parents/ do form admin after school. Then you get to do your copying/ move books into the various classes you teach in.

But obvs as a trainee, none of that applies to you yet.

olddustbag · 01/10/2022 00:00

What is the direct time of a teacher?
You shouldn't leave before that.

olddustbag · 01/10/2022 00:00

directed

YerAWizardHarry · 01/10/2022 00:06

People need to take into account she isn’t being paid to be there… I often had to leave sharp-ish as a student teacher because I needed to work to feed my small child. Sharpening pencils to show face wasn’t going to pay my bills.

ElectedOnThursday · 01/10/2022 00:09

She was very rude. You are a student, you are there to learn. A professional would have kindly explained what is expected of you.

Blahdeebla · 01/10/2022 00:09

This was unprofessional of her. My first and favourite headteacher said the sign of a good teacher is one who knows when to leave early. You'll be plenty busy soon and as long as you are prepped and know what you're doing then you are fine. We do have a policy at our school that we shouldn't leave before 3.45 though incase anyone needs to quickly speak to us, maybe double check this isn't the case.

surreygirl1987 · 01/10/2022 00:17

I'm used to working until930 or later and pretty much every Saturday, but I still get the guilts if I leave early.

Why...? 🤨

surreygirl1987 · 01/10/2022 00:18

@surreygirl1987 did you have something you wanted to say? I notice you’ve quoted me

Yep- just that I fully agree!

caringcarer · 01/10/2022 00:21

I was a teacher for 35 years and very rarely left school before 4.30pm unless I had important appointment. I arrived at 7.45 even though registration not until 9am. I appreciate you are on first placement but children have to be supervised in leaving school and catching buses etc. You have not made a good impression. You will need to work hard to prove yourself as willing and hard working. Deputy head often writes your reference after teaching practice. I would make a point of seeking DH out and ask what you can do to help after school tomorrow.

surreygirl1987 · 01/10/2022 00:22

And you stay later than your contracted hours and suddenly it's constantly expected

Yep!

If anything you should be speaking to the teachers and learning something surely

...because she's not learning anything in all the hours she is in school..?

Good grief. The posts on this thread! And then we get parents who moan that their child is being taught science by someone without a science degree, or that they've had 5 different teachers during their GCSE course because we have a severe teacher shortage... and everyone wonders why 🙈

Suprima · 01/10/2022 00:36

Aconitum · 30/09/2022 22:53

"Sharpening pencils"? Don't classes have a pencil monitor any more.🙄
What is the world coming to.

Have you worked in KS1?

the kids can’t sharpen pencils very well, and even if they do- they sharpen them down to a stump. Generally
by May you can train three or so up to do it properly, with better motor skills.

but then- when do the kids sharpen pencils? They have to be learning at all times! If they have done their work, they need a challenge! If you allow them to ‘help’ at break, you can’t go to the loo or leave your class.

you can buy an electric sharpener, but they break or develop legs.

if the pencils aren’t sharp, the handwriting is shite and you’ll be pulled up in book looks and observations for allowing shit handwriting, questioned why- and told to keep the pencils sharp.

so yeah- a trainee sharpening some pencils is a pretty big help.

genuinelyaskingforafriend · 01/10/2022 00:37

Don't you hang back and supervise the kids leaving school etc?

HammerMyhome · 01/10/2022 00:43

Good grief. The posts on this thread! And then we get parents who moan that their child is being taught science by someone without a science degree, or that they've had 5 different teachers during their GCSE course because we have a severe teacher shortage... and everyone wonders why

I'm not sure working half hour beyond 3pm is slave labour….

Iknowforsure1 · 01/10/2022 00:47

It’s only the beginning. It took my friend 3 years of therapy to recover from her training. Take care of yourself well.

TimeforZeroes · 01/10/2022 00:51

Seriously, just ask. Gently ask what the expectations are around the hours they’d like to see you in school throughout your placement including after school meetings etc.

ChagSameachDoreen · 01/10/2022 01:07

Ask about their overtime policies. You shouldn't be working hours they aren't paying you.

TimeforZeroes · 01/10/2022 01:09

She’s not getting paid hourly. She’s a student. Also teachers don’t really get over time.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

HammerMyhome · 01/10/2022 01:09

so teachers must earn shit loads compared to most if their hours are 8-3?

leccybill · 01/10/2022 01:15

Primary, is it?
Honestly nobody gives a shiny shit in secondary, go just after the kids if you want to/need to.

shinyshoes5566 · 01/10/2022 01:23

Lockdown changed things for teachers. You don't need to be on-site to prepare lessons etc. A lot of teachers are out of the door straight after the last pupil has left these days, then work at home in the evenings. Works much better for childcare too.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.