My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

There are actually jobs that allow school holidays off as standard besides working in a school?

58 replies

Bbq1 · 29/09/2022 15:23

Following on from another thread where posters were saying that there are other jobs available that offer term time working. Is this right? If so, where/what are the jobs?

OP posts:
lannistunut · 29/09/2022 20:45

I have a friend who runs an electricians business, they have a term-time only admin person.

Local government
NHS
Universities
Civil Service
Police force
Charities

...are all other places where I know people who work term time only.

UpToMyElbowsInDiapers · 29/09/2022 20:49

Some consulting firms that are project based have programmes where you are paid part time hours year-round, working full time, but then you get the equivalent time completely off in between projects. You could probably swing it to (usually) have school holidays off. It’s not common though.

Alphabet1spaghetti2 · 29/09/2022 20:53

A few warehouses are starting to offer school hours and term time days, but we are in a high demand for employees area.

chocolateisavegetable · 29/09/2022 20:56

Admin job for county council - term time only is available if asked for (job adverts say “requests for part time working will be considered”)

Tiredalwaystired · 29/09/2022 21:37

My friend has negotiated this in her charity role

cinnamonbiscuit · 29/09/2022 21:51

This is quite niche, but I work as a cathedral musician and we mostly do term time only (apart from a few days at Easter and Christmas ofc!)

TheSmallAssassin · 29/09/2022 21:54

My boss was supportive of me doing term time only when I was a technical lead (software development) in the public sector. Though I wouldn't have needed all of the school holidays off, as my husband did half. I didn't fancy it, though did try various other things when our kids were small, for example, each taking every other week off, working longer hours on the days my husband was covering to build up some credit. Easiest was just each of us taking off what would have been our normal short days, used up less leave that way! We never needed to buy any more leave, but it did mean we only had Christmas and one holiday week off all together.

It's a pain, but it doesn't go on for ever.

70billionthnamechange · 30/09/2022 06:41

Ii let one of my staff do this

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.