My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

There are actually jobs that allow school holidays off as standard besides working in a school?

58 replies

Bbq1 · 29/09/2022 15:23

Following on from another thread where posters were saying that there are other jobs available that offer term time working. Is this right? If so, where/what are the jobs?

OP posts:
neverbeenskiing · 29/09/2022 16:30

I know someone who was able to negotiate a school hours, term time only contract in the private sector because she had qualifications in a very niche area of IT and they were desperate for someone with her particular skills. I assume this is rare though.

LeafHunter · 29/09/2022 16:30

I work for a charity and it’s common here for contacts to be negotiable. I job share with someone who has a term time only contract

boxybox · 29/09/2022 16:31

I have friends who get lots of holiday eg 7 weeks because they can buy/sell holiday or take unpaid leave. They all manage to take 3 weeks in the summer.

Caterina99 · 29/09/2022 16:47

Local coach/taxi company just advertised for a driver. Presumably for school bus as it specified will be school days only in the advert

TankFlyBoss · 29/09/2022 16:52

Local council jobs in education. I've effectively worked almost term time only for years, by taking all my annual leave in the school hols when the schools are off anyway. That way you get the full salary

ScoobyDoNot · 29/09/2022 16:54

My nhs cbt therapist only ever worked term time.

gingerninja99 · 29/09/2022 17:42

I am a civil servant and I work part time term time. Have done for 5 years and will do some for another 5 then I'll start to either increase my day to day hours or reduce my unpaid weeks.

I did have to fight for it though as we had a lot in our department who were the same although their 'children' were out working full time jobs.

Some departments can't accommodate these requests though as it's business needs come first

Forestdweller11 · 29/09/2022 17:47

Not quite the same but. Charity, private sector . During term time I work 4 days a week. During school holidays I work 3. I don't get paid to be off though. During the summer holidays I normally take not quite three weeks as paid holiday. And from holiday allowance I can normally cover half term, Christmas and Easter holidays out of allowance. That's largely because I'm only using three days a week as booked holiday.

Bottomofthepileasusual · 29/09/2022 18:08

My company do this. Big insurer

squirrel76 · 29/09/2022 18:16

School immunizations and school nursing teams normally have a high proportion of term time only staff, both nursing, and support

donttellmehesalive · 29/09/2022 18:20

I have a friend who negotiated a term time only contract with a local company where she had been doing supply cover. They liked her and offered her a job so she took it on the basis of having all the school holidays off.

Creameggs223 · 29/09/2022 18:36

Private day nursery my friend works in have term time staff she has her pay split between 12 months so still gets paid its not unpaided holidays as someone suggested above.

PorridgewithQuark · 29/09/2022 18:43

I don't work in a school but a therapeutic center attached to a special school, and we get all but three weeks of the school holidays off. We work more hours than we're paid for in term time so the additional 5 weeks are fully paid. However we cannot usually take holiday in term time (though it's not as strict as teaching and there are some options for the odd day if actually necessary).

OverTheRubicon · 29/09/2022 19:00

I think that women sometimes shoot themselves in the foot by focussing on term time only jobs, Vs part time all year roles, where the competition is lower and because the pay and number of opportunities are higher, you'll often be able to pay for childcare on other days, and also not always be racing to and from school like with term-only jobs (and actually there for pickups unlike in many TA or school admin jobs ).

Appreciate everyone's circumstances are different, but it's definitely worth considering. And if you're working eg tues-thurs, you'll only need 3 days of leave to take a week in the holidays, plus you'll get extras for public holidays - and during term you can be with younger DCs or use use day time for all the jobs you never get done, or to actually exercise, or to be there for the many inevitable sick days etc

OnlyFoolsnMothers · 29/09/2022 19:02

I’m an assistant and my boss goes away for a month in the holidays- I take full advantage

Brieeeeeeeee · 29/09/2022 19:06

I used to work for a medium-sized charity that offered this - not sure of the details but condensed hours didn’t suit someone in my team so basically they just took a lot of unpaid leave, and the summer school holiday period was formally covered by a temp worker.

bumpytrumpy · 29/09/2022 20:21

I have a professional role where I can (within reason) plan my own calendar. So I work lots in term time but for example would never agree to a big meeting / deadline in half term. So even if I'm not officially on annual leave, in the holidays I can just keep an eye on my emails and It works fine.

When planning projects I also tend to use a method where I have 6 weeks scheduled activity and then a contingency/catch up week which coincides with half term and fingers crossed not much need to happen. Works well!

bumpytrumpy · 29/09/2022 20:23

In many cases the key is for the woman to not see working in the early years as being purely about the money. It's about progressing and gaining experience, credibility etc which can then used as currency for flexibility.

JaceLancs · 29/09/2022 20:27

I work in voluntary sector and our workload is lower during school holidays so I could probably accommodate 1 or 2 people who requested this and have done in the past but probably wouldn’t advertise as a vacancy

BunsyGirl · 29/09/2022 20:29

I know someone in the police force who works term time only.

thecatsthecats · 29/09/2022 20:29

Hoppinggreen · 29/09/2022 15:31

Jobs for companies that supply schools - such as educational software etc

Yup.

And whenever I advertised roles as TTO as an option, we got barely any interest, in spite of good salary.

So I really recommend applying for those roles - great chance for the company to save a bit of money.

Goawayangryman · 29/09/2022 20:34

What @OverTheRubicon says.

I know there are some situations where term time only work is absolutely necessary IE a child with SEND who cannot be provided with respite care.

Generally you are much better off just applying for a normal job with good conditions and either sharing the joint responsibility of arranging childcare with the child's other parent(s), or paying for holiday childcare.

(Truly) term time only jobs are often low paid because they are low skilled and gendered.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Goawayangryman · 29/09/2022 20:41

Having said that, I have a role that enables me to take half the school holidays off owing to a good working culture, and good conditions.

It will.never make me rich though, think civil service type role.

And the reason I can work it around holidays is because ive built up accrued annual leave. Plus luck in that my children's other parent (ex) although challenging in many ways, has them half the time.

The only other thing I can think of that is relatively high earning and flexible is self employment as an established trade. And even then, you're going to be risking it by turning down work in the school holidays. That's, what, 13 weeks of the year gone?

N1C · 29/09/2022 20:42

Yes, I know roles for NHS 111 for healthcare professionals and call handlers that have this contract.

Bellie99 · 29/09/2022 20:45

About 20 years ago I introduced term time sales roles in a large pharmaceutical company. No idea if they still exist or not as left 15 years ago.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.