My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think that for nearly £60 a month, we should be warm in the pool?

104 replies

Freezinginthepool · 24/09/2022 18:38

My 20 month old goes to swimming lessons and has since being a little baby (once lockdown was over.) We pay nearly £60 a month for one half hour lesson a week. So really not cheap!

But AIBU to expect a reasonably warm pool for this? This week was shockingly cold.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

386 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
20%
You are NOT being unreasonable
80%
tonightelmowillrise · 24/09/2022 18:41

and did you ask the staff why it’s cold or just save it up to post here?

bellac11 · 24/09/2022 18:44

I think its likely that prices will rise, can you imagine how much its costing to heat that pool?

Or if prices stay the same for your membership you'll be in a colder pool

Freezinginthepool · 24/09/2022 18:45

The ‘staff’ are one person delivering the lesson. We go out and the next class comes in. I doubt there’s anything she could do if she wanted to. I need to speak to the company but they aren’t open until Monday. Is that acceptable to you?

OP posts:
Freezinginthepool · 24/09/2022 18:47

But that’s the point @bellac11 . If it was a very reasonably priced sort of thing then fair enough. But £58 a month is more than I pay for my own gym membership, and can go any time!

For nearly £15 per 30 mins I do think a warm pool is reasonable!

OP posts:
user1471517900 · 24/09/2022 18:47

I like how you decided £15 per lesson clearly wasn't a shocking enough figure, so randomly rounded it to a month

tonightelmowillrise · 24/09/2022 18:47

Freezinginthepool · 24/09/2022 18:45

The ‘staff’ are one person delivering the lesson. We go out and the next class comes in. I doubt there’s anything she could do if she wanted to. I need to speak to the company but they aren’t open until Monday. Is that acceptable to you?

i’d say most sensible people would try to resolve the issue before taking to mumsnet to moan about something they’ve made no attempts to improve no?

bellac11 · 24/09/2022 18:48

Freezinginthepool · 24/09/2022 18:47

But that’s the point @bellac11 . If it was a very reasonably priced sort of thing then fair enough. But £58 a month is more than I pay for my own gym membership, and can go any time!

For nearly £15 per 30 mins I do think a warm pool is reasonable!

I think it sounds a reasonable price I have to say

But whether it is or not, my point was that these sorts of place are not going to be able to sustain whatever price they charge because of the fuel increase.

Lawazzalawoo · 24/09/2022 18:48

How much per month? I spend £50 a month on BOTH of my DC swim lessons.

SpongeBob2022 · 24/09/2022 18:49

£15 is a lot and I'd expect a decent temperature for that.

FatAgainItsLettuceTime · 24/09/2022 18:52

29 degrees is around the average temp for a kids swimming pool. It does feel a bit chilly, especially if the air is cooler because of draughts from outside. The problem is that it takes a lot of energy to raise that temperature and as we all know energy costs have risen.

I think the best thing is to have a plan for how you can keep him warm. So a rash vest and shorts for in the pool.

A swimming poncho for immediately after he gets out.

Barelyable · 24/09/2022 18:52

My kids were taught to swim at Loughborough Uni where the British Team train.
When I asked why it was so cold I was told that athletes perform better when it's cold.
Is yours a proper training pool OP?

ThatGirlInACountrySong · 24/09/2022 18:53

It will be a standard temperature.... you sure you aren't just being overly precious!?

What did the instructor say when you asked?

Brunilde · 24/09/2022 18:53

If its water babies/ puddle ducks etc they don't control the pool they just rent it. So if you don't like that one look for a warmer pool.

MotherOfCrocodiles · 24/09/2022 18:54

Some pools are colder than others

I'd recommend finding lessons in a place with a dedicated teaching pool that is kept warm, or a hotel/gym pool

Sporty adult size pools generally the coldest

Autumn2022 · 24/09/2022 18:54

i pay less than that for two kids and the pool is like a bath!

Tinytortilla · 24/09/2022 18:56

We pay £13 a week and it’s freezing, even the teacher says it’s cold and she’s in constant discussions about the temperature and how to get them to increase it even 1 or 2 degrees but at the end of the day it isn’t her call

Wanda616 · 24/09/2022 18:57

I take it you're doing something like water babies, small lessons in private pools. These expensive lessons are sold partly on the basis of being in warmer water than the average leisure centre pool. I get that they're getting expensive for the owner to heat, but if the pools are cold people simply won't spend the money. I fork out for lessons in a private pool for DS partly because leisure centre pools leave him shivering. Not worth the cash if he's too cold to swim.

Precipice · 24/09/2022 18:59

How cold is shockingly cold? If you're in a pool that is also used for lane swimming (even if not at the same time), they're not going to be heating it up so that it's very warm, because people won't be able to swim properly in it.

To be able to know if YA(N)BU, we'd need to know the set-up of the swimming pool and its temperature.

fyn · 24/09/2022 18:59

We paid the same amount for 30 minutes and the pool was always cold. We bought a lined warm suit in the end.

tulippa · 24/09/2022 19:03

Was your DC upset by it? You can warm up quickly in a pool once you start moving around and get used to it, even if it feels cold at first.

womaninatightspot · 24/09/2022 19:06

I used to swim in a little pool used for baby swimming lessons it was like a bath. These lessons are normally done in toasty warm pools. What’s your gym pool like? I’d consider not renewing and have some in pool play dates.

Freezinginthepool · 24/09/2022 19:06

user1471517900 · 24/09/2022 18:47

I like how you decided £15 per lesson clearly wasn't a shocking enough figure, so randomly rounded it to a month

Well, no, it wasn’t random. I am billed monthly.

@tulippa she was cold and another child’s teeth were chattering!

@Wanda616 Puddleducks, so similar.

@Precipice maybe that is it. I get that it’s hard meeting different peoples needs but I remember childrens pools being lovely and warm once - ah, they were the days hey!

OP posts:
tulippa · 24/09/2022 19:11

Oh well fair enough. I've read though that a lot of swimming pools are decreasing their temperature due to how much it costs now to heat them up. Maybe it's to do with that. If it doesn't change it might be worth looking for a new pool if it's unpleasant for your DC.

Freezinginthepool · 24/09/2022 19:13

Well, we did actually go to a different one today as seeing relatives tomorrow (normal lesson) and this one was freezing as well.

It did make me think - hang on, this is really not on.

I did smile at making athletes perform better though Smile

OP posts:
Harridan1981 · 24/09/2022 19:15

The pools used for baby swimming lessons tend to be really warm, they have to be. Slim surprised they’re using a cold one.

Definitely get a suit, Close Baby used to do a thermal type one, or you could always get a shortie wetsuit

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.