Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To feel WFH has had its day a bit?

493 replies

Seaswimminginwinter · 23/09/2022 06:10

Bosses think workers do less from home - bbc article

My job doesn’t lend itself to WFH but I have noticed on nearly every thread on here about WFH, people insist that they are more productive. However, I have to admit that this doesn’t match with my experiences. But I am one person so maybe I’ve been unlucky, except this article is quite interesting about perceptions.

I also think it changes homes and areas. My own DH is WFH today and it is my day off, meaning I will spend it feeling as f I am I the way in my own home. Homes aren’t meant to be offices.

I get there are advantages but overall I don’t think it works well at all.

OP posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

notacooldad · 24/09/2022 21:37

Well I don’t think it works well for young employees and time will tell with increasing mental health issues etc - fine for senior managers and those nearing retirement
Don't senior managers and those nearing retirement have mental health issues?
In my experience they do.

Please
or

Cameleongirl · 24/09/2022 22:04

Wimin123 · 24/09/2022 21:12

Well I don’t think it works well for young employees and time will tell with increasing mental health issues etc - fine for senior managers and those nearing retirement. Not so good for people stuck in abusive relationships either

I can see how spending too much time on your own could negatively affect mental health, plus we all need to learn how to get on with people (in person) whom we don't really like. I don't know whether it's age-related though.

Please
or

Mamafromthebeach · 24/09/2022 23:45

I have wfh for years. One thing I will say is it never ever works if you have young children with no other supervision. But it did mean shorter days at nursery for them and I could easily get the dinner/bath/bed routine done without the commute.

Now my kids are older I Iike the hybrid arrangement with my new job - I do 2 days wfh and 3 days in office. For me that optimises productivity as I structure my week around that and it also works personally. I don’t think there is a blanket rule for everyone.

Please
or

GertrudePerkinsPaperyThing · 24/09/2022 23:57

I think hybrid is ideal. I did hybrid pre pandemic too.

Right at the moment I’m wfh all the time and I think it sends you a bit loopy in the en.

Please
or

GertrudePerkinsPaperyThing · 24/09/2022 23:58

Also agree you can’t do wfh whilst being in sole charge of children (under about 10/11 really) though. Not fair on them or you.

Please
or

Icanflyhigh · 25/09/2022 00:00

Works for me - 5 years total WFH and wouldn't change a thing!

Please
or

SpangledShambles · 25/09/2022 00:04

Due to existing society dynamics, wfh is a feminist issue along with all the other factors. We can finally hope to maintain careers and compete for seniority as well as having kids and spending a healthy amount of time with them. This is also a good thing for male parents as they have traditionally been sucked into commute and work without as much time with kids. This may be a traditional representation but it is also a fact. So wfh could help modernise and revolutionise life for everyone. No wonder the old guard don’t like it. It’s something worth fighting for now we have the technology to support it.

Please
or

ZenNudist · 25/09/2022 00:08

I hate going into the office, well I love swanning around seeing everyone and chatting and getting out for a pret at lunchtime but I get so little work done. I'm far too busy nowadays. Get so much more done from home, mainly working in the evening as well as day time whilst still managing to see the dc and take them to activities

I go into the office to see my local team and try and support some new junior staff. Most of my team is all over the UK and I support them much better now via teams as pre covid we would have just called each other.

Going into the office then spending all day on teams is just a waste of time. Last week I tried to grab some people for a face to face meeting but we ended up on teams to make it easier for others in other locations.

WFH is great. Did it a lot before covid when I just needed to get stuff done. Doing it all the time has really improved productivity and its difficult to go back to a slower pace of work.

Please
or

ShootingForTheMoonLandingOnMyArse · 25/09/2022 00:49

I wouldn’t have been able to get back into work after 15 years as a SAHM if WFH wasn’t a thing. I used to be so envious of senior staff saying they were WFH in the 90’s and early 00’s when I had a long commute into London, small DC in nursery miles away and loads to do in the evening. As horrible as COVID’s impact has been, that it’s opened this way of working up as a norm is absolutely amazing IMO. There’s no way it would have happened otherwise.

I went back to work 4 days a week last year in a fully WFH job. We have been asked to go into the office for a team lunch once a month from next month which is nice to meet up.

I have a disabled adult son who would never get up and go to appointments if I wasn’t here, probably burn the house down as he can’t be left alone too long and my 12 year old was recently diagnosed with a life threatening chronic condition so I need to be able to pick him up from school and be around when he’s home, he’s had to take quite a bit of time off school so I’m here for sick days, will need to go to medical appointments which I can work round by working later on the evenings etc. No way could I cope with an in office job.

WFH had been a godsend for me and I am very productive, much more than my full time colleague who had no DC but has dogs who she constantly needs to see to, all you can hear on calls is the bloody things barking in the background, and then constantly calls me about stupid stuff which she should be able to do herself as she’s been there longer than me! At least I can ignore her calls. I dread to think what it’d be like working in an office with her.

I have a table in the corner of the dining room with a laptop and two monitors on it so plenty of workspace, can drop youngest at school, put a wash on, hoover through, cook myself breakfast and then log on after I’ve tidied the kitchen. I walk to Tesco (5 mins away) to get stuff in for dinner at lunchtime so no rushing about or cleaning after work. No travel costs or expensive lunches, started to make my own soup. I love it!

Please
or

Dibbydoos · 25/09/2022 01:28

Hi OP, I agree it doesn't work for everyone or every job.

I love it but I also need to go to an office of location every so often cos I miss seeing people.

Please
or

madasawethen · 25/09/2022 04:37

ShootingForTheMoonLandingOnMyArse · 25/09/2022 00:49

I wouldn’t have been able to get back into work after 15 years as a SAHM if WFH wasn’t a thing. I used to be so envious of senior staff saying they were WFH in the 90’s and early 00’s when I had a long commute into London, small DC in nursery miles away and loads to do in the evening. As horrible as COVID’s impact has been, that it’s opened this way of working up as a norm is absolutely amazing IMO. There’s no way it would have happened otherwise.

I went back to work 4 days a week last year in a fully WFH job. We have been asked to go into the office for a team lunch once a month from next month which is nice to meet up.

I have a disabled adult son who would never get up and go to appointments if I wasn’t here, probably burn the house down as he can’t be left alone too long and my 12 year old was recently diagnosed with a life threatening chronic condition so I need to be able to pick him up from school and be around when he’s home, he’s had to take quite a bit of time off school so I’m here for sick days, will need to go to medical appointments which I can work round by working later on the evenings etc. No way could I cope with an in office job.

WFH had been a godsend for me and I am very productive, much more than my full time colleague who had no DC but has dogs who she constantly needs to see to, all you can hear on calls is the bloody things barking in the background, and then constantly calls me about stupid stuff which she should be able to do herself as she’s been there longer than me! At least I can ignore her calls. I dread to think what it’d be like working in an office with her.

I have a table in the corner of the dining room with a laptop and two monitors on it so plenty of workspace, can drop youngest at school, put a wash on, hoover through, cook myself breakfast and then log on after I’ve tidied the kitchen. I walk to Tesco (5 mins away) to get stuff in for dinner at lunchtime so no rushing about or cleaning after work. No travel costs or expensive lunches, started to make my own soup. I love it!

I just want to say how much I love your post. I've saved it.

Situations like this are one reason why my company has always been remote WFH.

Please
or

madasawethen · 25/09/2022 04:41

Bebethany · 24/09/2022 20:30

I could easily work remotely buy my line manager and senior lead won’t allow me to. They both WFH and I get really resentful when I hear, ‘oh I had the boiler serviced yesterday’ and ‘oh I’ve got to take the dog to the vet’ and ‘oh I’ve got a delivery coming, so got to be indoors’… I have to book annual leave for all these tasks.

Have they given a legit reason why you can't?

If there are others there who also would like to WFH, you could as a collective formally make a case for it to senior management in writing, as high up as you have to go to get the real decision makers.

Please
or

madasawethen · 25/09/2022 04:44

Due to existing society dynamics, wfh is a feminist issue along with all the other factors. We can finally hope to maintain careers and compete for seniority as well as having kids and spending a healthy amount of time with them. This is also a good thing for male parents as they have traditionally been sucked into commute and work without as much time with kids. This may be a traditional representation but it is also a fact. So wfh could help modernise and revolutionise life for everyone. No wonder the old guard don’t like it. It’s something worth fighting for now we have the technology to support it.

Exactly this. It is a feminist issue. We're in the midst of a digital revolution.

Please
or

SofaLola33 · 25/09/2022 05:34

WFH doesn’t work for me! During the pandemic I worked with an industry that was classed as a ‘key‘workplace, so though technically my role wasn’t, I took advantage of the loophole and would go in the office frequently.

At home I do not have an office and very easily distracted. I also missed interaction with colleagues and the wider work force.

I also have a teenager, even though he is very self sufficient, would fight for my attention because I was home.

Though I was glad to be home with him through the pandemic, I don’t think it is realistic to WFH with children and for it to be used as an alternative to childcare.

I work from an office now and love it but they are really good that If I need to work from home for any reason, they are happy for us too!

Please
or

user7845209 · 25/09/2022 05:34

It's fine if you have separate office space but its not really on for workers that serve the public or do sensitive work to work where there are others present that are not involved with the company so a separate office room should really be mandatory for those sort of workers. We have two spare rooms which had to be converted to office space for WFH during the pandemic and even then I could still hear DH through the door. We are both retired now so fortunately it is not an issue and we have our rooms back.

Please
or

wohmum · 25/09/2022 07:56

This

Please
or

wohmum · 25/09/2022 08:00

mondaytosunday · 23/09/2022 06:53

I think wfh suits those of a certain experience and life stage - possibly those who are already coupled up or have kids and/or are established in their field.
It may not suit those just starting out in the field of work.
When I started out, work was my social life too. Fresh out of university, new to the city, if I was stuck at home staring at a computer I would have been miserable and would not have learned anything. I would not have learned HOW to work. I wouldn't have made friends, I wouldn't have learned how the office structure works. I would not have seen how other departments operate and recognise my next job move. I would have missed so many opportunities. I would have hated it.
Now I am decades older, have a family and do not depend on work in the same way. A hybrid system would be great.

This definitely

Please
or

JennyForeigner · 25/09/2022 08:13

I couldn't work under any other model. We have three very young children childcare mostly at home and a home office. My husband struggles with wfh in a role where it is entirely his choice - so is in the office most days. Lastly, we live in a regional city where we have childcare and a large enough house. I didn't think I would be able to work for London-based employers again (which is about it, in my field). And here we are.

It is an absolute gift. I would be on the list of mums whose career came to a premature end without wfh. And with costs rising the way they are, we would be on our uppers.

Imho that's that this useless government are doing - tanking the economy but taking from the tiny margins people have secured by wfh.

Please
or

mewkins · 25/09/2022 08:18

This is exactly right.

Please
or

5128gap · 25/09/2022 08:53

I can't understand why it has to even be a debate.
There are excellent reasons for both office and home working. Both work very well for some. The change shouldn't be from office to home or vice versa, but clearly from an inflexible approach to a hybrid one.
A model where staff agree with their line manager what is is right for them and their role, from full time home to full time office, to anything in between; usually combined with some mandatory office days for cohesion/other essential reasons, is easy to implement and keeps everyone happy.

Please
or

3Blues · 25/09/2022 09:25

WFH has saved me and my marriage. I also get less of the mum guilt - as I can still pick kids up, be immediately available for after school activities, help with homework and work without the usual workplace distractions. Any time I go into the office, hardly anyone gets anything done, it's hard to just jump on a Teams call like you do at home. I do have a dedicated work space, less costs for pet care and can start work earlier when I need to, without it disrupting the whole family. It also means that I have progressed my career much faster than I would have in the office - without the guilt of ruining my home life or sacrificing kids for work.

I'm also highly self motivated and organised - I do agree wfh is not suitable for everyone as they think they can just watch films all day and show up for meetings, but achieve very little (unfortunately this applies to some of my colleagues!)

Please
or

orangeisthenewpuce · 25/09/2022 09:38

3Blues · 25/09/2022 09:25

WFH has saved me and my marriage. I also get less of the mum guilt - as I can still pick kids up, be immediately available for after school activities, help with homework and work without the usual workplace distractions. Any time I go into the office, hardly anyone gets anything done, it's hard to just jump on a Teams call like you do at home. I do have a dedicated work space, less costs for pet care and can start work earlier when I need to, without it disrupting the whole family. It also means that I have progressed my career much faster than I would have in the office - without the guilt of ruining my home life or sacrificing kids for work.

I'm also highly self motivated and organised - I do agree wfh is not suitable for everyone as they think they can just watch films all day and show up for meetings, but achieve very little (unfortunately this applies to some of my colleagues!)

And these things are why those of us who go to the office to work at can't get always get hold of people wfh when we need to.

Please
or

PeachyPeachTrees · 25/09/2022 09:57

Me and DH both work from home. Dedicated work rooms is key though. Love flexibility, no commute so more time with the kids.

Please
or

Hearthnhome · 25/09/2022 10:01

orangeisthenewpuce · 25/09/2022 09:38

And these things are why those of us who go to the office to work at can't get always get hold of people wfh when we need to.

Do you work with that poster?

I presume not and presume That poster doesn’t have a job that requires you to be at you desk constantly incase a colleague needs you.

Many of us don’t.

If one of my team aren’t at their desk when at home or at work, I just wait until they get back.

If that poster is meant to be at her desk all day and repeatedly is not, then that’s down to management to handle.

Please
or

GnomeDePlume · 25/09/2022 10:08

I am in the fortunate position of having a dedicated office/study at home, grown up DCs etc. WFH works for me. There are far fewer distractions at home. I have a bolt on the door to stop DH wandering in!

When everyone was WFH I found it a lot easier to track people down. Generally they were at their desks not disappearing off for cosy catch-ups over coffee.

I find meetings tend to be much more focussed when everyone is on Teams. The meeting is to discuss X, we discuss X. The meeting then ends.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?