My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think Liz Truss MUST call a general election to make “unpopular” and “difficult” decisions that deviate from the last GE manifesto?

280 replies

CurseOfBigness · 22/09/2022 16:02

I get that Liz Truss is a keen new prime minister full of beans and ideas. I just don’t think she has the mandate to push through decisions that are “unpopular” and “difficult” if it deviates from the last general election’s manifesto.

Liz Truss plans radical shift in economic policy: New UK prime minister readies tax-cutting mini-Budget and says she is prepared to be unpopular.

This new prime minister has not gained her position by winning a general election. If she wants to radically change things and be “unpopular” then she needs to put the vote to the people.

Truss talked the talk about promoting “freedom” and not being dictated by “instructions”. But Freedom is not for free. The rule of law applies as “instructions” to help keep society civilised. Checks and balances.

Removing the cap on bankers’ bonuses is a poor PR move. Trickle down economics is problematic and already being criticised as ineffective.

Truss thinks she can do what she wants because she’s party leader and by default became prime minister. But Truss can’t afford to be “unpopular” because she needs to win a general election in her own right first.

AIBU to think Liz Truss must call a general election to make “unpopular” and “difficult” decisions that deviate from the last GE manifesto? Isn’t that how democracy works?!

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

383 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
35%
You are NOT being unreasonable
65%
TooBigForMyBoots · 22/09/2022 16:07

No way in he'll Spin Lizzy is going to call an election now. She has a sizable majority and can do whatever she pleases. So we have 2 more years of Tory chaos, incompetence and corruption fucking up the country.🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

the80sweregreat · 22/09/2022 16:08

She won't call an election.
It'll be this for two more years.

Pixiedust1234 · 22/09/2022 16:12

I'm surprised that fracking is being allowed without having a vote considering all the previous studies said it was a bad thing.

I really hope her own party starts getting antsy with her but I doubt it.

CurseOfBigness · 22/09/2022 16:12

@TooBigForMyBoots and @the80sweregreat

Can a general election for forced upon her anyway?

She has not won a general election in her own right. The last general election was won by Boris Johnson, not Liz Truss. Her majority is fragile.

OP posts:
the80sweregreat · 22/09/2022 16:14

The conservatives have a mandate and a huge majority. They won't be putting this on the line for anything.
I'd be surprised if she did anyway.

shoofly · 22/09/2022 16:16

Noone in her party is going to push for an election, they'll be too afraid of losing their own seats. They have a sizeable majority, I don't think fragile is a word that could be applied to it.

CurseOfBigness · 22/09/2022 16:23

the80sweregreat · 22/09/2022 16:14

The conservatives have a mandate and a huge majority. They won't be putting this on the line for anything.
I'd be surprised if she did anyway.

They won it through Boris Johnson, not Liz Truss. The majority was thanks to the borrowed votes from the red wall (who Truss clearly doesn’t care about, otherwise she wouldn’t be removing the cap on bankers’ bonuses).

Liz Truss has a fragile mandate to make “unpopular” decisions. She has not won a general election in her own right and that counts against her and her decisions.

Truss became prime minister through the back door.

It’s only a matter of time that people will be demanding a general election. There may be grounds if her plans radically shift from the last GE manifesto. After all, Truss has said she is prepared to be “unpopular”, so I Truss she will put her money and votes where her mouth is.

OP posts:
WatchoRulo · 22/09/2022 16:24

AIBU to think Liz Truss must call a general election to make “unpopular” and “difficult” decisions that deviate from the last GE manifesto?

YANBU in a moral sense - but YABVU to expect morals or integrity from a Tory leader.

Isn’t that how democracy works?!
Not in Ye Merry Olde Unitede Kingdom of wanky electoral systems, unelected cunts in charge and our Ye Olde unwritten constitution, kept going so Ye Plebs have no real say in anything.

TooBigForMyBoots · 22/09/2022 16:24

There is nothing we can do and her majority is massive. As long as MPs vote it through, she can do exactly what she wants.

midgetastic · 22/09/2022 16:27

The huge majority is in terms of MPs

They did not have a majority of the people vote for them

WatchoRulo · 22/09/2022 16:27

She has limited moral authority for twattery like fracking and removing the bankers bonus cap, but she has all the actual authority she needs - conferred upon her by our ridiculous and outdated politics and constitution - and most people don't seem too bothered.

CurseOfBigness · 22/09/2022 16:27

shoofly · 22/09/2022 16:16

Noone in her party is going to push for an election, they'll be too afraid of losing their own seats. They have a sizeable majority, I don't think fragile is a word that could be applied to it.

It is fragile if it deviates too much from what people voted for in the last general election.

Things have changed since 2019.

Surely there can be intervention if things get too bad?

It just doesn’t seem very democratic for Truss to become prime minister through the back door and radically shift policy.

OP posts:
GasPanic · 22/09/2022 16:29

She has a huge majority, the idea she doesn't is ridiculous.

For me, either she takes a chance now on an early election, maybe a 50:50 chance of getting back in power and if so on a much reduced majority or she is toast in 2024/25.

RenegadeMrs · 22/09/2022 16:30

The manifesto is not binding. They don't have to follow any of it if they don't want to.

andtheweedonkey · 22/09/2022 16:31

She won't.
She doesn't have to.
To many seats to lose...

And fracking could be the end of the "blue wall"...

CurseOfBigness · 22/09/2022 16:32

WatchoRulo · 22/09/2022 16:27

She has limited moral authority for twattery like fracking and removing the bankers bonus cap, but she has all the actual authority she needs - conferred upon her by our ridiculous and outdated politics and constitution - and most people don't seem too bothered.

most people don't seem too bothered

Until it impacts them or the people and things they care about.

Maybe Truss making “unpopular” decisions will help combat apathy.

OP posts:
TooBigForMyBoots · 22/09/2022 16:32

There is no mechanism for public intervention. The only people with the power to get rid of her is Conservative MPs. They will probably get rid of her after 15-18 months in order to reinstate Johnson in time for the next election.

thebellagio · 22/09/2022 16:35

Quite frankly as a country we can’t afford an election right now

MintJulia · 22/09/2022 16:35

Did Gordon Brown call an election or did he decide he already had a mandate?

It's the same with both parties. Once they are in power, they usually cling on until the bitter end.

AnnPerkins · 22/09/2022 16:35

It doesn't matter what the moral arguments are, unless the government loses a confidence vote there is no mechanism to force a general election. The only way to get an early GE is if the Prime Minister calls one.

There might be a political argument to call an early GE but that would only be if the PM thinks it will benefit the Government by increasing their majority - ask Teresa May how that worked out for her in 2017.

There wasn't a GE after Gordon Brown took over from Tony Blair either.

MarshaBradyo · 22/09/2022 16:37

AnnPerkins · 22/09/2022 16:35

It doesn't matter what the moral arguments are, unless the government loses a confidence vote there is no mechanism to force a general election. The only way to get an early GE is if the Prime Minister calls one.

There might be a political argument to call an early GE but that would only be if the PM thinks it will benefit the Government by increasing their majority - ask Teresa May how that worked out for her in 2017.

There wasn't a GE after Gordon Brown took over from Tony Blair either.

Yes to this

GhostFromTheOtherSide · 22/09/2022 16:37

She has not won a general election in her own right. The last general election was won by Boris Johnson, not Liz Truss. Her majority is fragile. never ceases to amaze me how little people know about politics in this country.

The prime minister is not elected through the general election, the prime minister, or leader of the party is elected by the party members, which is exactly what has happened here.

When you vote in a general election you are voting for your own mp, in your area. And while who is party leader may have some influence on how you decide to vote, this talk that Lizz truss has not been elected by the people is rubbish, because that’s not how politics work.

CurseOfBigness · 22/09/2022 16:38

GasPanic · 22/09/2022 16:29

She has a huge majority, the idea she doesn't is ridiculous.

For me, either she takes a chance now on an early election, maybe a 50:50 chance of getting back in power and if so on a much reduced majority or she is toast in 2024/25.

How is it ridiculous?

She has become prime minister through the back door.

Boris won the majority. Boris as a personality helped in winning that majority too.

I agree that if I were her I wouldn’t call a general election out of fear that she wouldn’t win a majority like Boris. But it would be the right thing to do for democracy if she wants a radically different term to the one Boris promoted in the last GE.

Of course. @WatchoRulo I am making a moral point. I as yet to see evidence if Truss is a moral person with integrity.

OP posts:
CurseOfBigness · 22/09/2022 16:40

GhostFromTheOtherSide · 22/09/2022 16:37

She has not won a general election in her own right. The last general election was won by Boris Johnson, not Liz Truss. Her majority is fragile. never ceases to amaze me how little people know about politics in this country.

The prime minister is not elected through the general election, the prime minister, or leader of the party is elected by the party members, which is exactly what has happened here.

When you vote in a general election you are voting for your own mp, in your area. And while who is party leader may have some influence on how you decide to vote, this talk that Lizz truss has not been elected by the people is rubbish, because that’s not how politics work.

Thanks for explaining. I was confused. But I do think that Boris as PM was a huge factor in winning that majority.
Boris had a personality that made him stand out as different.

OP posts:
GhostFromTheOtherSide · 22/09/2022 16:43

Boris won the majority. Boris as a personality helped in winning that majority too. one of the biggest reasons why The tories won the last election, aside from Brexit, was the fact that people didn’t want Corbin as PM.

And people don’t want Starmer either, The tories are likely to be in power for at least another term.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.