Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

John Lewis Christmas ad… your guesses?

51 replies

doodlejump1980 · 21/09/2022 21:49

something to do with Paddington as a nod to the late Queen?
or a couple of corgis pulling a cracker?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

17 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
29%
You are NOT being unreasonable
71%
MissHavishamsMouldyOldCake · 21/09/2022 21:53

I've always assumed they have their Christmas ad done and dusted by June.

FilthyforFirth · 21/09/2022 21:55

Yeah I reckon it would have been done beforeshe died.

I reckon a nod to Ukraine or the cost of living. Buying presents for those who really need it etc

Pieceofpurplesky · 21/09/2022 21:56

I would like to see a blank screen and it saying something like 'due to the cost of living crisis we have donated the millions we usually pay for an advert to a food bank'

ThisIsNotThePostYourLookingFor · 21/09/2022 21:57

They normally have it all done by now but I think they will probably redo it for the queen

NellesVilla · 21/09/2022 21:58

Something about ☮️- I agree with pp a nod to Ukraine. I’d also say a ‘bringing all faiths/religions together’ kinda scenario with little kids of all colours and creeds coming together holding hands (a bit like an old Benetton ad- remember those?), but reckon Coca Cola will take a similar idea. Also, some faiths don’t celebrate Xmas so you never know who you might offend (ffs) by including some 🤷‍♀️

lannistunut · 21/09/2022 22:01

NellesVilla · 21/09/2022 21:58

Something about ☮️- I agree with pp a nod to Ukraine. I’d also say a ‘bringing all faiths/religions together’ kinda scenario with little kids of all colours and creeds coming together holding hands (a bit like an old Benetton ad- remember those?), but reckon Coca Cola will take a similar idea. Also, some faiths don’t celebrate Xmas so you never know who you might offend (ffs) by including some 🤷‍♀️

Biscuit no one gets offended by a respectful sentiment

takemetomybeach · 21/09/2022 22:03

No one is offended by Christmas. HTH.

ShirleyJackson · 21/09/2022 22:04

<quavery voice and plinky plonk piano>

‘God save our gracious…king…’

Camera pans to empty desk next to a Christmas tree.
Charles is locked in the bathroom, refusing to come out.

<quavery voice>

’Long…live…our…noble king…’

Camera shows Camilla and William shrugging at each other and checking their Apple watches. It’s a quarter to three! He’s going to miss his first Christmas speech! Prince George appears, looking winsome in a pie crust collar.

‘God…save…our…King’

Suddenly George has an idea!

Camera cuts to a closeup of a lovely John Lewis breadboard and matching bread knife, plus a set of luxury marmalades in a Christmas presentation box. Camilla is having a Christmas Fag while supervising George making a Festive Marmalade sandwich.

Camera returns to the Royal Bathroom Door, where Prince George slides the sandwich under the door on a John Lewis Christmas Paper Plate, upon which is written,

’For later.’

The door opens, and there stands Charles, in a Santa hat.

<key change for quavery voice>

’Send him victorious! Happy and Glorious!’

Camera returns to study, and Charles sliding into his seat just in time to make his First Christmas Speech.

<quavery voice>

’Long to reign over us…god…save…the…king…’

KittenKong · 21/09/2022 22:04

5 sexing ad space - Black screen with the following message in plain white text:

‘instead of spending a squillionty millionty pounds on trendy ad agencies and buying expensive adspace, we donated all the money to charity. And are reinstating single sex changing rooms in our stores. Merry Christmas!’

KittenKong · 21/09/2022 22:05

Sexing ? Ooo errr (autocorrect) ‘second’

SeasonFinale · 21/09/2022 22:05

Pieceofpurplesky · 21/09/2022 21:56

I would like to see a blank screen and it saying something like 'due to the cost of living crisis we have donated the millions we usually pay for an advert to a food bank'

Love this as an idea.

Please no Paddington!

Pumpkinsnearlyready · 21/09/2022 22:07

Suggestions of marmalade sandwiches for Xmas lunch to save the ££.

TheMadGardener · 21/09/2022 22:08

<quavery voice>

Camera shows Camilla and William shrugging at each other and checking their Apple watches. It’s a quarter to three! He’s going to miss his first Christmas speech! Prince George appears, looking winsome in a pie crust collar.

‘God…save…our…King’

Camera cuts to a closeup of a lovely John Lewis breadboard and matching bread knife, plus a set of luxury marmalades in a Christmas presentation box. Camilla is having a Christmas Fag while supervising George making a Festive Marmalade sandwich.

Camera returns to the Royal Bathroom Door, where Prince George slides the sandwich under the door on a John Lewis Christmas Paper Plate, upon which is written,

’For later.’

Camera returns to study, and Charles sliding into his seat just in time to make his First Christmas Speech.

<quavery voice>

@ShirleyJackson This won't happen but you are a GENIUS!!!

MissHavishamsMouldyOldCake · 21/09/2022 22:10

Oh yeah, enough of the Queen and Paddington as bessie mates thing.

RegeJeanPageMeOnMyCellphone · 21/09/2022 22:10

DH thinks they’ve frantically rewritten the ad and it’s now going to be about 2 strangers who spent 20+ hours queuing to see the Queen, became friends, stay in touch and then spend Christmas Day together.

I bet they’ve all been scrambling to get Paddington in their ads.

I haven’t enjoyed their recent efforts. I’ve forgotten last years (or was it the animated one with the bus?), I think Monty the Penguin was the last one I really liked.

Riverlee · 21/09/2022 22:12

Unlikely to be Paddington as they don’t own the rights. Don’t think it will be Ukraine either - too political.

I reckon cutesy animals, and then can sell stuffed animals in their shops.

or maybe story of inclusivity - ie. Disabled and non-disabled people coming together at Christmas etc.

Riverlee · 21/09/2022 22:13

@RegeJeanPageMeOnMyCellphone Good storyline. Someone should adopt this.

MissHavishamsMouldyOldCake · 21/09/2022 22:14

I've just checked and last year's was the one with the blonde alien child. It wasn't great. I think Christmas ads are best when they keep it simple. These days it probably involves a team if 50 JL marketing bods brainstorming for 24 hrs straight. All ends up a bit convoluted.

LydiaBennetsUglyBonnet · 21/09/2022 22:15

Saw a v funny tweet guessing it would be two people who fell in love in The Queue, played to a slow Ellie-Goulding style version of I Would Walk 500 Miles

Textboxmm · 21/09/2022 22:16

Road man taking his entire fam and mandem on a shopping spree for big puffy jackets and cony Sketchers so they save pennies on the hearing. Innit.

Textboxmm · 21/09/2022 22:17

It ends with Nana declaring she ain’t a drug dealer.

00100001 · 21/09/2022 22:17

Some god awful twee shite no doubt.

Hoping for a pared back one though as @Pieceofpurplesky suggested

LydiaBennetsUglyBonnet · 21/09/2022 22:18

<quavery voice>

‘God…save…our…King’

’For later.’

<quavery voice>

Superb! 👏🏼 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

pinok · 21/09/2022 22:20

I can’t remember last years

loved minty the penguin

pinok · 21/09/2022 22:21

<quavery voice>

‘God…save…our…King’

’For later.’

<quavery voice>

I can visualise this perfectly

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.