Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

John Lewis Christmas ad… your guesses?

51 replies

doodlejump1980 · 21/09/2022 21:49

something to do with Paddington as a nod to the late Queen?
or a couple of corgis pulling a cracker?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

17 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
29%
You are NOT being unreasonable
71%
00100001 · 21/09/2022 22:23

I can only emember the wwi one, a dog on a trampoline and one about a telescope maybe?

And a dragon or something that burned things???

What's the penguin one?

LondonWolf · 21/09/2022 22:25

Pieceofpurplesky · 21/09/2022 21:56

I would like to see a blank screen and it saying something like 'due to the cost of living crisis we have donated the millions we usually pay for an advert to a food bank'

Really? What a dull, miserable time Christmas would be if that was the route taken by everyone.

LondonWolf · 21/09/2022 22:26

pinok · 21/09/2022 22:20

I can’t remember last years

loved minty the penguin

Boy discovers alien girl in the forest and shows her the meaning of Christmas.

toastedcat · 21/09/2022 22:31

Soundtrack: A twee, breathy cover of a well-known song.

Sallyh87 · 21/09/2022 22:31

@ShirleyJackson , brilliant. 😂

SalmonEile · 21/09/2022 22:32

@ShirleyJackson i acted out this in my mind and cried laughing it’s perfect

AloysiusBear · 21/09/2022 22:32

@ShirleyJackson this is one of the finest posts I've ever read on mumsnet.

I think they will be expecting the public to be looking forward to the coronation rather than looking back to the funeral.

I'm thinking kids, something linking 3 kings bringing gifts with a coronation theme but with a careful avoidance of it being too Christian themed

Cuck00soup · 21/09/2022 22:32

My money is on combined Waitrose and JL again. Filmed in around May before the jubilee so no marmalade sandwiches .

Pre King Charles, the downfall of Boris, the Heatwave and insane fuel prices.

We are all in this together. Ahem. A street party, A child baking a cake for their Nan. A pride cake. And a cake topper for you to buy. Possibly a dog with doggy accessories.

usernamealreadytaken · 21/09/2022 22:42

Obviously different companies will film at different times, but Asda filmed one of their Christmas ads in our town and it was filmed in September (just came up on my photo memories) so potentially could be filming now, although I guess it would have been written some time ago.

Howlongwillthistake · 21/09/2022 23:02

I know Iceland used to film their Christmas ads around July time. So probably agreed around April or May

doodlejump1980 · 21/09/2022 23:03

@ShirleyJackson that is genius!

OP posts:
WagathaChristieMystery · 21/09/2022 23:05

TheMadGardener · 21/09/2022 22:08

@ShirleyJackson This won't happen but you are a GENIUS!!!

I second this!!! Are you absolutely sure you don’t work for JL’s crack team of marketeers @ShirleyJackson? If not, they should def consider hiring you!

FreezyFreezy · 21/09/2022 23:15

A couple recoils in horror upon opening the email from the gas and electricity company telling them what their next month's bill will be, and immediately rush off to switch off all the lights and the oven etc.

They, long with their friends and neighbours, who are similarly skint, get together and set fire to their local Tory MP's office, which they then use to cook a massive Christmas dinner with all the trimmings and share it all out equally amongst themselves.

NeverDropYourMooncup · 21/09/2022 23:16

I've just googled the Later...With Jools Holland upcoming episodes. There's somebody called Victoria Canal on the listings. A quick check of a YouTube video called Swan Song later and my money's on her doing the music.

I also reckon that, as they've not ticked the box off yet, this year will include a very photogenic child or person with a visible disability.

KittenKong · 21/09/2022 23:17

Sigh - so no podgy middle aged women as the star then?

londonismyx · 21/09/2022 23:21

It'll be Paddington showing Holly and Phil that queues aren't just for Christmas shopping

tabulahrasa · 21/09/2022 23:22

LondonWolf · 21/09/2022 22:25

Really? What a dull, miserable time Christmas would be if that was the route taken by everyone.

No adverts would make Christmas dull and miserable? I think I’d not even notice they’re kidding tbh.

tabulahrasa · 21/09/2022 23:23

Kidding is autocorrect for missing apparently

NeverDropYourMooncup · 21/09/2022 23:25

KittenKong · 21/09/2022 23:17

Sigh - so no podgy middle aged women as the star then?

We're inconsequential in these adverts. It's all about the kids, the elderly and the husbands. She'll be somewhere in the background, smiling beatifically at the stars.

Imissmoominmama · 21/09/2022 23:25

ShirleyJackson · 21/09/2022 22:04

<quavery voice and plinky plonk piano>

‘God save our gracious…king…’

Camera pans to empty desk next to a Christmas tree.
Charles is locked in the bathroom, refusing to come out.

<quavery voice>

’Long…live…our…noble king…’

Camera shows Camilla and William shrugging at each other and checking their Apple watches. It’s a quarter to three! He’s going to miss his first Christmas speech! Prince George appears, looking winsome in a pie crust collar.

‘God…save…our…King’

Suddenly George has an idea!

Camera cuts to a closeup of a lovely John Lewis breadboard and matching bread knife, plus a set of luxury marmalades in a Christmas presentation box. Camilla is having a Christmas Fag while supervising George making a Festive Marmalade sandwich.

Camera returns to the Royal Bathroom Door, where Prince George slides the sandwich under the door on a John Lewis Christmas Paper Plate, upon which is written,

’For later.’

The door opens, and there stands Charles, in a Santa hat.

<key change for quavery voice>

’Send him victorious! Happy and Glorious!’

Camera returns to study, and Charles sliding into his seat just in time to make his First Christmas Speech.

<quavery voice>

’Long to reign over us…god…save…the…king…’

This is genius.

I hope you work for JL.

Pieceofpurplesky · 21/09/2022 23:29

@LondonWolf

To be fair - for lots of people it is going to be a dull, miserable time. And cold. The millions sent to food banks could help it be less miserable for some.

jay55 · 21/09/2022 23:29

Recycle the animals on the trampoline advert with an environmental message.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

CaptainThe95thRifles · 21/09/2022 23:35

Now we've had @ShirleyJackson's vision of the JL advert, the real thing will be an utter let down!

ShirleyJackson · 22/09/2022 03:14

Haha, no I don’t work for JL 😀

Glad you enjoyed it though 😀😀

sashh · 22/09/2022 04:05

00100001 · 21/09/2022 22:23

I can only emember the wwi one, a dog on a trampoline and one about a telescope maybe?

And a dragon or something that burned things???

What's the penguin one?

Child has penguin toy/real - it keeps changing so parents traffic a mail order bride for penguin.

I preferred the dog head in a box.

I like the idea of the message and charity, it reminds me of when Tracey Emmin was asked to create / decorate a tree for Tate modern, she bought a tree for the Lighthouse centre and asked the public for donations to charity.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.