Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To really regret buying on a council estate

397 replies

Gameofmoans81 · 18/09/2022 09:03

5 years ago we bought our first house. We live in a very expensive town so to get a house rather than a flat meant buying an ex council house on a council estate where about 90% of the flats and houses are still council owned. It’s a small estate surrounded on each side by millionaires in a good location basically.
I didn’t think anything of buying on a council estate - I’m not a snob, I grew up and have lived in normal working/middle class suburbs and rub along with all sorts of people in life and when we viewed it seemed quiet and fine. However after 5 years of living here I absolutely hate it to the point where it’s making me ill.
Firstly there are some lovely people living here, this is not an attack on council tenants but the actual truth is that these are main issues:
teenagers outside my house all night screaming/drinking
dog shit everywhere
rubbish everywhere - think bins tipped over and not picked up, used nappies thrown in hedge etc
sofas/tvs dumped outside for months
screaming arguments/fights/regular police visits
music blasting all day
weed smoke continuously wafting in to my babies nursery if we open the window
young kids out til late swearing and shouting at passers by.

I am desperate to move but the house next door but one has been on the market for well over a year despite being nice and a bargain and no one’s biting. No one but us is stupid enough to buy here. If you picked up our house and put it on the street behind us you’d raise the price by around £100k basically and it would be sold within a week.

i feel so trapped and depressed everytime I walk through the estate to get home plus I feel totally stupid for buying it.
And I feel increasingly furious at these people who are literally costing us thousands of pounds because they can’t be bothered to pick up their shit.
Aaarrrggghhh!

OP posts:
CaramelTwirl · 18/09/2022 17:54

MsTSwift · 18/09/2022 17:09

Caramel do you deal drugs / play loud violent music / wrestle with your mother in the street whilst drunk / keep aggressive and untrained dogs that shit everywhere and trash your own house? If not this thread isn’t about you us it? 🙄

No and neither do most council tenants. But don't let that stop MN tarring all of us with the same brush.

mooongooose · 18/09/2022 18:04

No and neither do most council tenants. But don't let that stop MN tarring all of us with the same brush.

But nobody said all, did they? Unless you never complain about anything, or do you just put a disclaimer at the end of every sentence? Of course it's not all, but people have negative experiences of some people on council estates.

MsTSwift · 18/09/2022 18:11

No one thinks that though 🙄. If anything the majority of council tenants are the ones that suffer from the thuggish anti social behaviour the most.

Do you want some gravy with that massive chip on your shoulder? You seem to enjoy being the put upon maligned victim.

CaramelTwirl · 18/09/2022 18:15

MsTSwift · 18/09/2022 18:11

No one thinks that though 🙄. If anything the majority of council tenants are the ones that suffer from the thuggish anti social behaviour the most.

Do you want some gravy with that massive chip on your shoulder? You seem to enjoy being the put upon maligned victim.

And you seem to be a massive snob. But we can't all be perfect 🙄

MsTSwift · 18/09/2022 18:36

If not enjoying living next to drug dealing thugs makes me a “snob” so be it. I do make automatic assumptions about anyone over the age of 16 who uses that term as an insult though

Amazongirl9 · 18/09/2022 18:42

The sad fact is a little bit of self entitled feckless chav, goes a very long way.
One or two such families/individuals in a street (any street) can make every one else's life a misery. We have created a society where some people have no morals, and only consequences would stop them behaving with impunity. And there are no consequences.
My SIL had a similar situation but managed to sell to a landlord.
Be kind - what does that even mean? You can be as understanding as you like of someone's circumstances, that doesn't mean you should have to live with the misery inflicted by their behaviour.

WildFlowerBees · 18/09/2022 19:02

Give over @MindYourBeeswax some people are the pits, regardless of your situation it doesn't excuse awful behaviour. Living in an area where your hyper alert can be very detrimental to mental health. Have some kindness for the op and her situation.

WildFlowerBees · 18/09/2022 19:04

You're not your.

ineedateatowel · 18/09/2022 19:15

@CaramelTwirl its not about that. Like people have already said the majority of people just want to get on with their lives. Sadly it only take a few families to make day to day life hell. By taking it personally and calling everyone snobs you are not helping. If my neighbour is chucking rubbish in my garden should I not say anything for fear of being a snob! It’s ridiculous to ignore the complexity of these issues.

SnackSizeRaisin · 18/09/2022 19:25

CaramelTwirl · 18/09/2022 11:45

Paying the mortgages of buy to let Landlords with housing benefit seems to be acceptable though.

The housing benefit goes to pay the rent. Whether the landlord owns it outright or not is irrelevant.
Anyway most landlords won't rent to people on HB for obvious reasons.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER · 18/09/2022 21:48

OP, I do hope you find an acceptable way. Selling to a landlord who won’t be bothered about anything but the rent s/he can expect, may I’m afraid be the answer.

Sadly it takes only one or two to ruin the road for other people. A dd’s first house was an ex council - nice houses in a perfectly pleasant road, but NDNs would leave rubbish in the front garden for weeks on end, had a large dog that was hardly ever walked and barked constantly, a lot of very audible yelling and swearing, etc. Not a question of poverty, I don’t think - at least one of them was working and there was a fairly expensive new car. More a case of no idea of acceptable behaviour - or else giving not a shit even if they did.

Other dd also bought an ex council, but she and I looked at several before writing them off because of e.g, rubbish in front gardens, very loud music, loud blokes drinking beer in front gardens in the morning when they had very adequate back ditto, etc.

The road where she finally bought is largely owner occupied, very quiet, no rubbish, well tended front gardens. Still the same several years later, thank goodness. Might add that the owner (it was a probate sale) turned down a slightly higher offer from a landlord, because she wanted a first time buyer to have it.
Former owners had bought from the council in 1971, well before Thatcher - and paid almost exactly 1% of what dd paid.

holidaynightmare · 18/09/2022 22:35

@Gameofmoans81

Something similar happened to my friend - she contacted the council who owned most of the estate and they were happy to buy the house back from her as there is a shortage - I'd give your local council a call it could be an option

VestaTilley · 18/09/2022 22:42

Just put it on the market for a reasonable price and see how you get on; it may be your neighbours want too much for theirs. Failing that, contact your council and ask them to do a clean up, or join local community Facebook groups etc and see if anyone is interested in doing a group litter pick etc.

First port of call should be the estate agents.

ExHack · 18/09/2022 22:56

My first BF lived on a council estate in Battersea; it was apparently one of the nicest ones. The communal stairways always smelled strongly of piss.

DixonD · 18/09/2022 23:06

Our local authority often buys back ex-council properties. Slightly less than market value, but if you’re desperate, I’d approach them.

BloodyCamping · 18/09/2022 23:14

Get one of those high pitched whistles that only youngsters can hear and be driven crazy by. It’s a plug in thing.

oakleaffy · 19/09/2022 01:02

Amazongirl9 · 18/09/2022 18:42

The sad fact is a little bit of self entitled feckless chav, goes a very long way.
One or two such families/individuals in a street (any street) can make every one else's life a misery. We have created a society where some people have no morals, and only consequences would stop them behaving with impunity. And there are no consequences.
My SIL had a similar situation but managed to sell to a landlord.
Be kind - what does that even mean? You can be as understanding as you like of someone's circumstances, that doesn't mean you should have to live with the misery inflicted by their behaviour.

A ''Problem family'' was relocated about 20 plus years ago in a quiet, residential area as part of an 'Experiment' [??] by the Council.

It was horrendous for the poor Private buyers.
The last thing they expected was to live with a really troublesome family.

Anyway, the daughters began to procreate at a very young age, which exacerbated the problems
There were police and ''Flying eye'' helicopter over the house {Do they still even have those?}
One 'Bad' family really can be like quadruple strength squash..A very little goes an extremely long way.

Don't know what the answer is.. Generally, wealthier areas act as a ''Trouble~filter'' as problem families can't afford to live there.

marblemad · 19/09/2022 04:23

This is so interesting to read, from 0-7 I grew up on a new build from 7-15 an ex council 3/4 bed then 15-17 a 5 bed much nicer house, I am now mid 20's and lived in flats and houses with my ex partner but now looking to buy on my own within the next 6-8 months and I am torn between a 3 bed ex council semi detached or 2 bed terrace non council in my city. During my time renting a house I rented an ex council for a year in the area I would consider and actually loved it more than I thought I would (3 bed semi detached) however looking back I did have some desires to achieve better at the time! I am now on a pretty good wage in my area (Lincolnshire) for a solo buyer and given the house price increases would still very much consider that area given proximity to city center and historical areas! It's just difficult when for 160 I could buy a nice two bed next to the cathedral but for 0.5 miles out could buy a 3 bed semi with a big garden for the same price!

BerriesOnTop · 19/09/2022 06:00

The idea of having to be endlessly kind is naive. People dealing drugs and fighting in the streets don’t give a shit about your kindness. I once told a friend about the blazing, abusive rows my neighbours were having and she advised taking round some cake. Well meaning middle class people think all problems can be solved with acts of simple kindness! It’s infuriating

lol taking some cake over. I’d love to see your friend do just that to a family like you describe. 😆

Enidcat5 · 19/09/2022 07:11

Happened to us in Scotland, bought a lower villa in an 'up and coming' area which was actually an ex council house. We spent loads doing it up and made a £20k loss selling. But it was such a relief to leave and move on

Enidcat5 · 19/09/2022 07:18

We used to get dog poo bags thrown at the windows, so in the morning I'd go out and find it all over the walls.

megletthesecond · 19/09/2022 07:50

I can't even complain to the council about most of the problems. A crappy housing association own certain stretches of footpath and they simply don't care. It takes weeks of repeat emails with photos and phone calls to get something actioned.

Redqueenheart · 19/09/2022 08:09

''@MindYourBeeswax
Evicted to where? The side of the road? Do you want to see children and teenagers homeless?''

Actions need to have consequences.

Your way of thinking is exactly the problem: people who cause these issues know they are pretty much untouchable...

If someone in private renting and in a job behaves like an idiot and cause issues for other people eventually they lose that job and the rented accommodation and will have to fend for themselves.

Yet you seem to think that council tenants should face no consequences for poor behaviour. I disagree. Maybe their kids are also better off not in their care.

I always think we need to have a society with a safety net for everyone but also clear consequences for people who don't appreciate that support and cause misery for others.

People who don't respect others only have themselves to blame if they end up being evicted.

MsTSwift · 19/09/2022 09:13

Absolutely agree Red. Our former neighbours basically behaved like 14 year olds released from adult supervision though they were parents and well into their twenties. None worked. Most pathetic thing I’ve ever witnessed. Not sure current system does them any favours either.

sst1234 · 19/09/2022 09:47

A very revealing thread. Even the most bleeding heart progressive don’t want to live next door to undesirables in society. Who can blame them.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.