Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To be fed up of the cat?

107 replies

Catwoes · 16/09/2022 12:35

I know I’ll probably get a flaming here but our cat is really getting to me. I have to say here, the cat isn’t ill treated (and won’t ever be) and has a lovely warm home, big garden to hunt mice and laze around in, he has a great life.

But he never stops eating. Ever. As soon as he polishes one bowl off he follows you around everywhere, thundering to the kitchen in anticipation of food as soon as you stir.

He shits in the bedroom. We have to lock him downstairs overnight and he miaows and keeps everyone up. Even if you just put him out his miaowing still wakes you. Then in the morning he starts miaowing again at about 5. It’s really getting to me now!

Like I say, don’t get me wrong, he isn’t badly treated but AIBU to not be enjoying him at all?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

115 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
51%
You are NOT being unreasonable
49%
Antarcticant · 16/09/2022 12:36

Have you taken him to the vet? It sounds like a possible thyroid issue.

Badgirlriri · 16/09/2022 12:37

There sounds like a medical issue you need to get checked.

user1471518104 · 16/09/2022 12:37

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Catwoes · 16/09/2022 12:39

The weird thing is, he was at the cattery recently and he barely ate anything. His food was the same! So I don’t think it’s a thyroid issue.

Like now I am eating my lunch and he’s just STARING at me. If I shift position he’ll run to the kitchen. It really gets me all cross and annoyed.

OP posts:
CoatyWonder · 16/09/2022 12:42

He sounds unhappy.

Overeating and shitting on the floor are not the signs of a happy cat. Why dont you just let him go out at night?

Antarcticant · 16/09/2022 12:42

I would still get him checked by the vet. Constant hunger isn't normal. I've got a big, greedy cat but he just takes his over-generous fill from his bowl and waits till the next meal - they are hunters, that's what they are designed to do.

xogossipgirlxo · 16/09/2022 12:43

How old is your cat? Mine were never full until certain age. It was really tiring. They are 7 years old now and their appetite is normal, they even became too picky now which is also annoying 😬

Wolfiefan · 16/09/2022 12:44

Definitely a vet check. It’s not normal cat behaviour.

Catwoes · 16/09/2022 12:44

Unfortunately, in my experience it is VERY normal cat behaviour. Still pisses me off though.

OP posts:
ilovesooty · 16/09/2022 12:45

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Even if that's a joke it's horrible.

cortinah · 16/09/2022 12:45

The pooping inside would get to me but the food issue would not bother me at all (if there was no medical problem present). Why is it annoying?

The lack of a bond I'm sure is making things harder. My dog is quite high maintenance but I'm happy to get on with it as I know I am making him happy/comfortable. Can you work on this? After all you chose to put the cat into your life, the innocent creature did not.

Is he a social cat?

Tierne · 16/09/2022 12:46

Its not normal cat behaviour you've been told by everyone on here so pick up the phone and make a vet appointment

MidnightMeltdown · 16/09/2022 12:47

Are you sure that you're feeding him enough OP?

My boy cat eats 3 pouches a day, plus has dry food available at all times

He's not overweight, but he's a young active cat.

Beamur · 16/09/2022 12:48

How old is the cat?
Inappropriate toileting is often a sign of illness or stress if it's a new behaviour.
Relentless eating suggests either boredom or not recognising he's full already.
Or, he could be like DH's old cat - greedy and stubborn!
The not eating at the cattery makes me wonder about stress too.

Catwoes · 16/09/2022 12:50

Positive @MidnightMeltdown . The other thing is that he does have a bowl of dried food which he doesn’t touch. He’s just greedy and wants wet. He’s had three pouches already!

@Tierne - then every other lucky sod has a normal cat! I must be unlucky as my last twat cat was the same. Bottomless pit.

OP posts:
Yarnosaur · 16/09/2022 12:50

Does he have more than one litter tray?

Have you tried different litters?

Are you using an enzyme cleaner to clean accidents?

Does he have free access to outdoors?

Try making him work for his food with puzzle feeders.

RavenT · 16/09/2022 12:53

Vet check OP

Catwoes · 16/09/2022 12:55

I’m confident he doesn’t need a vet. If it was a thyroid issue and he was actually desperate with hunger, he’d eat the dry food.

He has gone out now. Thank God.

OP posts:
MidnightMeltdown · 16/09/2022 12:56

@Catwoes

If he's had 3 pouches and is still hungry then I think that there's definitely something wrong. Maybe worms?

I think he needs to see a vet

Flumpymc · 16/09/2022 12:57

My cat has allergies that make him overgroom. As a result, even with allergy treatment and lots of brushing it's a constant sickfest here. I love him so much, but catch myself daydreaming about the day i can go out or go to bed and come back to find my living room just as I left it 🤷🏻‍♀️

SparklyLeprechaun · 16/09/2022 12:57

You don't have to feed him constantly, it might just be habit now if you feed him every time he goes to the kitchen.

Pooping inside needs to be investigated.

mountainsunsets · 16/09/2022 12:58

Catwoes · 16/09/2022 12:44

Unfortunately, in my experience it is VERY normal cat behaviour. Still pisses me off though.

Sorry but no, this isn't normal at all.

Why haven't you taken your cat to the vets?

mountainsunsets · 16/09/2022 12:59

Catwoes · 16/09/2022 12:55

I’m confident he doesn’t need a vet. If it was a thyroid issue and he was actually desperate with hunger, he’d eat the dry food.

He has gone out now. Thank God.

He needs to see a vet.

MidnightMeltdown · 16/09/2022 13:00

Also, make sure that the dry food is decent quality

Mine won't touch iams or go cat, but they love James Wellbeloved

Make sure that you change the dry food daily too. Cats don't like stale biscuits

If you can get him to eat dry, he won't ask for so much wet

Hallelujah2020 · 16/09/2022 13:01

How old is he?

As many others have said you need to go to a vet

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.