Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Iron levels less than 5 help please!!

54 replies

whatdodos · 13/09/2022 18:07

Shamelessly placing this here for traffic sorry 😥 I had a blood test last week and had a phone call back today to say my iron levels were so low they weren't able to measure them. This isn't a surprise I've had all the symptoms, so much so I haven't been able to even drive myself anywhere recently because I just can't concentrate enough and everything is dizzy/fuzzy.

With iron supplements this will take a few months to sort out so my question is in the meantime what can I do to help this and to make myself feel better? I'm stopping tea and coffee and trying to eat a bit more red meat (which I hate) and green veggies. Any other advice please?? I feel miserable at the moment I'm grouchy, exhausted, too drained to do most things other than work and constant headaches and dizziness. Any advice on the energy front would be so appreciated xx

OP posts:
WhatIsThisMad · 13/09/2022 18:09

You can buy a liquid iron supplement from tesco/Holland and barrat. It's great, but I've forgotten what it's called! Also loads of iron vitamins out there! At least you know what's wrong now OP!

georgarina · 13/09/2022 18:13

WTF? Did they not give you treatment options when they told you that?

I'd be thinking prescription supplements/blood transfusion

Call them back and ask what will be done to help you. You need more than an OTC tonic from Boots

red4321 · 13/09/2022 18:15

My iron levels are apparently the lowest two consultants have ever seen (heavy periods), I think possibly 2 on whatever level they use.

I take iron supplements, originally ferrous sulphate but suddenly stopped tolerating after years of taking it, now ferrous gluconate. 300mg tablet once or twice a day, I take with a vitamin C tablet and avoid drinking tea in the hour before or after (I take just before I go to sleep).

romany4 · 13/09/2022 18:17

Hemaplex.
It's excellent. My iron was at 7. Started taking this and 10 weeks later, I'm up to 11.5. And feel much better. Also, they are gentle on your stomach

WoopsIdiditagain1 · 13/09/2022 18:18

My iron was 7 and I was given iron injections. I was so exhausted I couldn't do a huge amount.

FrontRowSeat · 13/09/2022 18:19

I’ve been taking Spatone (available in Boots, Superdrug and supermarkets) - it’s a liquid iron supplement. Seems to be working. Take in a large glass of orange juice ( vitamin C aids iron absorption).

whatdodos · 13/09/2022 18:23

WhatIsThisMad · 13/09/2022 18:09

You can buy a liquid iron supplement from tesco/Holland and barrat. It's great, but I've forgotten what it's called! Also loads of iron vitamins out there! At least you know what's wrong now OP!

Thank you I will have a look tomorrow! x

OP posts:
TwilightDreams · 13/09/2022 18:24

You need a follow up appointment to clarify why your levels are so low.

whatdodos · 13/09/2022 18:25

georgarina · 13/09/2022 18:13

WTF? Did they not give you treatment options when they told you that?

I'd be thinking prescription supplements/blood transfusion

Call them back and ask what will be done to help you. You need more than an OTC tonic from Boots

Sorry to drip feed apparently my hb wasn't low enough or something for a blood transfusion and inwas refused an Iron transfusion. I've had one before and felt like a new person 😥

I have been prescribed some ferrous fumarate which I will be taking but I think I worded my post badly sorry! I'm sort of asking what else I can do alongside this to help/increase iron more quickly if that's even a thing?

OP posts:
MatildaTheCat · 13/09/2022 18:27

What are the plans for identifying and treating the cause of this?

My DM has recently been found to have very low iron levels. GP started a supplement and also made an urgent referral to the hospital. She has been found to have blood in her stools and had two iron infusions each a week apart and next is having a gastroscopy and a colonoscopy.

Taking just a supplement isn’t going to be sufficient.

whatdodos · 13/09/2022 18:29

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, will be trying the vitamin C and orange juice. I have been given a prescription sorry for drip feeding/misleading people

@TwilightDreams I've got a follow up blood test in 6 weeks if that counts? I'm convinced it's gastro related as I've been having terrible tummy pain and bloating (my periods aren't that heavy) but the Dr is convinced its not related. She thinks the pain is gynea related and booked an ultrasound and the iron is on its own. Its chronically low and I never get any advice or help as to why?

OP posts:
CottonSock · 13/09/2022 18:30

You don't need a supplement you need a medical dose of iron, a high one. Possibly a transfusion. Spa tone isn't going to cut it here.

Dox9 · 13/09/2022 18:32

Have you been ever tested for coeliac disease? It can give low iron plus the gastric symptoms you describe. Maybe worth asking your gp?

Ohsugarhoneyicetea · 13/09/2022 18:32

Start questioning why. My father had this and was on low level aspirin for blood pressure issues. Turned out it had worn a hole in his bowel and he eventually had a massive haemorrhage. Very important to understand what is going on, get your stool tested for blood.

ilovebagpuss · 13/09/2022 18:33

My DD had low iron and they gave her a course of those capsules to get it increased fast, the ones with about 7000 (whatever its measured in)
I would be expecting some high intensity medication to boost you quickly. There really is nothing else outside of medical realms as food etc with iron just won't boost you enough.
Is it the B vitamin that helps iron absorption ? Google to check but you could get some of this to go along with your supplement.

whatdodos · 13/09/2022 18:33

@MatildaTheCat I have a prescription now not a supplement sorry for misleading anyone!

I have no idea why they wont investigate further despite me asking. I'm thinking because I'm a young female they just assume it's period related (not really heavy) and send me on my way with a 3 month prescription for them to plummet again 😥 its a constant cycle and being tired and exhausted is pretty much my normal now. I have no idea what it's like to feel full of energy. I have one good day a week (usually a Sunday) then it all starts again. I have good sleep habits and eat a varied ish diet (could be better could be worse)

OP posts:
Floofsquidge · 13/09/2022 18:34

There is a private Facebook group called "UK Anemia Support Group" that I've found helpful. I'm currently in a similar boat, iron level of 7 with other issues.

Brigante9 · 13/09/2022 18:35

Ask your gp for an injection? You can get a spray too.

whatdodos · 13/09/2022 18:37

@Dox9 my mum mentioned celiac disease when I told her about bloating and alot of symptoms fit.

I don't know if it's my age/gender/anything else that means they never seem to take me seriously but I wouldn't know where to start or what to ask a GP for. I always come out feeling embarrassed for making a fuss or not listened to. I don't often make GP appointments for myself and this test was a result of a medication review not even an appointment I had.

OP posts:
LittleMissNoSoPlump · 13/09/2022 18:39

Can you afford to pay for an iron infusion at a private hospital? It is expensive but so worth it, I could hardly walk upstairs before I had mine and now my energy levels etc are so much better.

TwilightDreams · 13/09/2022 18:39

A follow-up blood test will tell you if the current prescription is working but it won't help to identify the underlying cause.

Can you see another GP at the practice?

Thurlow · 13/09/2022 18:41

Sorry to read this. This was me a few months ago - iron levels 4, haemoglobin 98, so no treatment options other than take iron 😒

Ive found ferrous sulphate easier to stomach, as well as the liquid too. Get some lactulose for the inevitable constipation. You should take the iron with some vitamin c, so sometimes I take orange juice and sometimes I take one of those fizzy tablet drinks.

Its been a few months now and while I don’t feel great, I’m not crying with exhaustion anymore, which is a plus. If it’s period relayed, ask for tranexamic acid for the bleeding.

Im fortunate though that I have private health through work so was referred to a gynaecologist who has agreed to do an endometrial ablation to solve the long term problem. Though less luckily he also found a fibroma on my ovary so I’m actually going in tomorrow for the ablation and ovary removal…

Dox9 · 13/09/2022 18:42

You could try a gluten free diet for a few weeks and see for yourself if the gastro symptoms go away? Keep a food diary so you have something to show your gp when you request a test.

PattyMelt · 13/09/2022 18:45

My Hb was 7 and that was my only common symptom of Coeliacs. I was given Ferrous fumerate 3 times a day it took nearly two years to get back to normal levels, get them to do a coeliacs blood test I wish I'd had one when my Hb was low.

PattyMelt · 13/09/2022 18:46

Don't stop eating gluten till after your blood is tested for a proper result.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.