MNHQ have commented on this thread

AIBU?

Would you consider this a binge?

31 replies

KiraKiraHikaru · 08/09/2022 21:33

From someone who is diagnosed with bullimia

breakfast: 2 slices of toast
lunch:bowl of nachos with dips
dinner: bowl of stew with 2 slices of bread, 4 fish fingers, 4 chocolate biscuits and a mug of milkshake. (Eaten over 2 hour period)

Thankyou

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

52 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
62%
You are NOT being unreasonable
38%
knackeredagain · 08/09/2022 21:35

No, I wouldn’t. I do tend to eat more than I need but I wouldn’t worry in the slightest about that.

NumberTheory · 08/09/2022 21:35

Surely, someone diagnosed with bull Mia shouldn’t be taking advice of the Internet?

NumberTheory · 08/09/2022 21:35

*bullimia

KangarooKenny · 08/09/2022 21:36

No.

luxxlisbon · 08/09/2022 21:36

I don’t think randoms on the internet weighing up your food intake and making comments on it will really be helpful for you.

PurpleDaisies · 08/09/2022 21:37

Is this you or someone close to you?

Simonjt · 08/09/2022 21:38

No, that definitely wouldn’t have been a binge for me, I would have eaten a hell of a lot more than that so I could in my mind enjoy as much food as possible, and so there wasn’t food available after.

KiraKiraHikaru · 08/09/2022 21:40

Oh there was 4 chocolate biscuits at lunch too

OP posts:
MollieTD · 08/09/2022 21:41

No, I wouldn’t say so, but it could be different for others - from experience, a binge would be something like a loaf of bread with butter like a dip, or the best part of a box of cereal, or eating cake that’s been frozen to stop you eating it - something uncontrollable, no joy in eating it and no thought behind what you’re eating, rather than eating a bit more of a meal, or more chocolate than you should.

Is this someone you’re worried about?

SocksAndTheCity · 08/09/2022 21:43

What constitutes binging in eating disorders is nothing to do with the quantity of food consumed.

KiraKiraHikaru · 08/09/2022 21:53

Ok thank you

OP posts:
MolkosTeenageAngst · 08/09/2022 22:31

I have bulimia. For me a binge is about the mindset and the pattern of eating more than the amount eaten. The breakfast and lunch definitely wouldn’t be a binge for me.

The evening food could be a binge if I sat down and ate a big bowl of soup and bread and felt full but after eating couldn’t stop thinking about what else I could eat and so but decided to cook 2 fish fingers because I still didn’t feel satiated even though I was full so I cooked and ate them, and then despite still being full it wasn’t enough and I still couldn’t stop thinking about food so I had another 2 fish fingers and then even though still not hungry I was compelled to have a biscuit, and then another and another despite saying each time it would be just one and then even though I was definitely full at that point I drank a milkshake anyway because something within me just needed to be eating and every time I tried to sit down and do something else literally all I can think about is eating another thing, anything almost. I think you can eat a normal quantity of food but approach it in a disordered way and be a bit detached from actually eating and that is the binge mindset, for me at least. Also, usually if I’m bingeing I’m not even necessarilly enjoying the food because I’m full or it’s something that isn’t really a snack I’ve cooked up like plain rice or potato waffles because I hardly keep anything in the house to try and stop the bingeing, if I’m properly enjoying the food it rarely feels like a binge,

On the other hand, sitting down to an evening meal of fish fingers, stew and bread and being full and sitting down without thinking the whole time of food and then 2 hours later having an evening snack of a few biscuits and milkshake wouldn’t be a binge for me, even if the quantity eaten was the same. You could probably eat more than that and it still not be a binge if the approach to eating it was relatively healthy and not about filling a void but around actually enjoying the food.

EntertainingandFactual · 08/09/2022 22:38

No, just unhealthy choices.
A binge day for me would be (for example):
Full cooked breakfast, 4 slices of bread with filling, hot chocolate, whole pizza around midday, a full pack (6) cream cakes an hour or so later, several packets of crisps, full pack of chocolate biscuits, ice cream before a cooked tea, 3/4 crumpets and cheese in the evening... It goes on and on. Constant eating even when completely full and uncomfortable. It's horrendous.

holidaynightmare · 09/09/2022 10:52

Breakfast and lunch looks fine

Dinner seems a bit excessive I wouldn't have stew and fishfingers but as people said you need proper medical advice

Doingprettywellthanks · 10/09/2022 16:57

EntertainingandFactual · 08/09/2022 22:38

No, just unhealthy choices.
A binge day for me would be (for example):
Full cooked breakfast, 4 slices of bread with filling, hot chocolate, whole pizza around midday, a full pack (6) cream cakes an hour or so later, several packets of crisps, full pack of chocolate biscuits, ice cream before a cooked tea, 3/4 crumpets and cheese in the evening... It goes on and on. Constant eating even when completely full and uncomfortable. It's horrendous.

how regularly do you do this? Sounds absolutely awful for you xx

PatientlyWaiting21 · 10/09/2022 17:17

Yes, the 4 chocolate biscuits at lunch and dinner plus the milkshake plus 4 fish fingers on top of stew is a lot.

OriginalUsername3 · 10/09/2022 17:23

No. 4 biscuits could never qualify as a binge. Even if you already had 4 at lunch.

Hedgepopjay · 10/09/2022 17:34

I have bulimia. For me a binge is about the mindset and the pattern of eating more than the amount eaten. The breakfast and lunch definitely wouldn’t be a binge for me.

The evening food could be a binge if I sat down and ate a big bowl of soup and bread and felt full but after eating couldn’t stop thinking about what else I could eat and so but decided to cook 2 fish fingers because I still didn’t feel satiated even though I was full so I cooked and ate them, and then despite still being full it wasn’t enough and I still couldn’t stop thinking about food so I had another 2 fish fingers and then even though still not hungry I was compelled to have a biscuit, and then another and another despite saying each time it would be just one and then even though I was definitely full at that point I drank a milkshake anyway because something within me just needed to be eating and every time I tried to sit down and do something else literally all I can think about is eating another thing, anything almost. I think you can eat a normal quantity of food but approach it in a disordered way and be a bit detached from actually eating and that is the binge mindset, for me at least. Also, usually if I’m bingeing I’m not even necessarilly enjoying the food because I’m full or it’s something that isn’t really a snack I’ve cooked up like plain rice or potato waffles because I hardly keep anything in the house to try and stop the bingeing, if I’m properly enjoying the food it rarely feels like a binge,

On the other hand, sitting down to an evening meal of fish fingers, stew and bread and being full and sitting down without thinking the whole time of food and then 2 hours later having an evening snack of a few biscuits and milkshake wouldn’t be a binge for me, even if the quantity eaten was the same. You could probably eat more than that and it still not be a binge if the approach to eating it was relatively healthy and not about filling a void but around actually enjoying the food.

Exactly this

KiraKiraHikaru · 10/09/2022 17:40

Thanks all I’m really trying not to binge so trying to just allow myself to have small amounts of what I’m craving and working on not punishing myself for it.

OP posts:
Blueberrywitch · 10/09/2022 17:44

I think this sums it up really well, it’s about the mindset when eating. It’s good for your metabolism to have days with varied calories, and some days when you maybe accidentally eat a packet of biscuits over the day. A binge for me is being in this mental zone, like unable to stop eating even though you’re full and maybe not even enjoying the food.

The day you described just sounds like you had a packet of biscuits in the house.

SisterAgatha · 10/09/2022 17:46

I have an eating disorder and I am going to refrain from commenting as if you also have one OP, I am sure it’ll do you no good to hear random peoples opinions on your intake.

KiraKiraHikaru · 10/09/2022 18:28

I want to hear from other people who binge really. Normally I would have had the box of fishfingers plus the whole tin of biscuits and whatever else. I know logically I should have just stopped with stew and bread but I’m trying to eat what I like without the self hatred and punishment until food is no longer a way to self harm

OP posts:
VladmirsPoutine · 10/09/2022 18:34

I wouldn't call it a binge but it seems from dinner things go a bit random, perhaps. The bowl of stew with bread seems good enough, the fish fingers seem a bit at odds with it. The biscuits, fair enough, 4 is better than the whole pack if you're prone to eating whole packets. That said, it's more about a mindset change - if you're pacing round the kitchen trying to reason yourself out of eating then you'll need a lot more support.

KiraKiraHikaru · 10/09/2022 18:37

VladmirsPoutine · 10/09/2022 18:34

I wouldn't call it a binge but it seems from dinner things go a bit random, perhaps. The bowl of stew with bread seems good enough, the fish fingers seem a bit at odds with it. The biscuits, fair enough, 4 is better than the whole pack if you're prone to eating whole packets. That said, it's more about a mindset change - if you're pacing round the kitchen trying to reason yourself out of eating then you'll need a lot more support.

They were leftover fish fingers from my kids dinner, I didn’t cook them randomly haha!

OP posts:
londonrach · 10/09/2022 18:40

im more worried you remember what you eaten.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.