Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Beyond worried

missrosex · 05/08/2022 12:35

I'll try to keep as short as possible, I have been going on to HV, GP etc about my sons eating for about a year and I feel so unheard. My son is 2.8years old and I couldn't name you a handful of foods he eats. From 12 months old he rejected the spoon and all liquid form foods. Witch limited what we could give him but fine he was still eating finger foods etc. As the months went on his appetite became smaller and smaller, spitting foods out, gagging, putting his fingers in his mouth and now today there is not one food I can't tell you I'm certain he will eat. We have tired everything we offer him so many different things, he may have one good day and then weeks of eating next to nothing. Go back a year ago he was on the 70th percentile for his weight and today he is on the 10th percentile. My son is Gradually falling off the weight chart and I don't know what else to do. I'm sick of hearing kids will be kids or he will eat when he is hungry because we are now 3 days in the eating literally next to nothing. He has so much thirst and will drink and drink all day long but not eat. I have tried limiting the drink in hope he eats more but it doesn't work, he has no interest in food. I've had all the leaflets with advice and things to try nothing works. Please anyone help, I feel like if this continues for much longer my little boy will fade away as a mum all I want is a healthy child.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Justcallmebebes · 05/08/2022 12:45

I think as long as he is drinking he should be fine. Is he drinking milk? I'm no expert by a long shot but my daughter at a similar age went through a phase of eating absolutely nothing but petit filous yoghurts. She's a fine and healthy 30 odd year old now

Please
or

Wouldloveanother · 05/08/2022 12:46

Test for diabetes just to make sure the drinking isn’t sinister

what does he eat? How much? Can you describe a typical day/week?

Please
or

vaingina · 05/08/2022 12:50

Another one here saying test for diabetes today, Take him to surgery and Dena’s someone does a finger prick test there and then. Drinking all the time is a key sign for it. The not eating could be connected.

Please
or

MbatataOwl · 05/08/2022 12:51

If I stoat get has some tests done. If GP refuses I would take to childrens A and E and explain he isn't eating and is drinking a lot of fluids.

Please
or

MbatataOwl · 05/08/2022 12:51

I would insist*

Please
or

CheeseCakeSunflowers · 05/08/2022 12:52

I cannot offer much advice but I do sympathise as I went through something similar with my eldest who is now an adult. He was later diagnosed with ASD and I have since learnt that sensory processing difficulties which are common with ASD can lead to difficulties with feeding like this. My son always drank milk which I think kept him going until he did start to eat more. I do remember all the unhelpful, he'll eat when he's hungry comments which made me inwardly scream. My son is now a 6 foot tall adult who eats most things but it was a very gradual progress to eventually get there. Good luck.

Please
or

missrosex · 05/08/2022 13:01

Wouldloveanother · 05/08/2022 12:46

Test for diabetes just to make sure the drinking isn’t sinister

what does he eat? How much? Can you describe a typical day/week?

This week his been bad. He hasn't had a meal this week. At the start of the week he had a chicken nugget and maybe like 3 peas, nibbled on a cookie, the past 2 days he's not touched anything other than a slice of cheese.

OP's posts:
Please
or

missrosex · 05/08/2022 13:03

Justcallmebebes · 05/08/2022 12:45

I think as long as he is drinking he should be fine. Is he drinking milk? I'm no expert by a long shot but my daughter at a similar age went through a phase of eating absolutely nothing but petit filous yoghurts. She's a fine and healthy 30 odd year old now

He doesn't like milk unfortunately, I've been told as long as he drinks he's fine for about a year but my concern is he is still gradually losing weight.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Stickworm · 05/08/2022 13:05

Have a look at ARFID (avoidant restrictive food intake disorder) op. I’m pretty certain my 5 year old has it and has dropped so many foods over the years - she only had around 6 regular safe foods now. It’s hard (and expensive) to get a diagnosis. There’s a really great ARFID support group on Facebook.

Please
or
Please
or

missrosex · 05/08/2022 13:18

vaingina · 05/08/2022 12:50

Another one here saying test for diabetes today, Take him to surgery and Dena’s someone does a finger prick test there and then. Drinking all the time is a key sign for it. The not eating could be connected.

I have never thought about this, his nan is also diabetic.

OP's posts:
Please
or

TooHotToTangoToo · 05/08/2022 13:23

My friends dd was like this, for at least the first 4/5 years all she'd eat was petite filous yogurt, chocolate buttons and hula hoops, and even then it was maybe once a day. She was also terribly constipated so trying to get her to drink something to help that was also a nightmare. But she did come out the other side, she's still a slight girl with a limited appetite but the gp says she's healthy and not to worry

Please
or

TheChildIsSickAgain · 05/08/2022 13:27

The fact his weight is dropping I’d be insisting on tests being done. My Ds5 is like this and is under paediatrician/dietitian but they’ve put it down to sensory related (awaiting asd assessment), after doing bloods and ruling out anything sinister. He’s also maintaining his weight so they’re not worried they said if he was losing weight they would definitely intervene and come up with a plan, ring GP and push for tests x

Please
or

10HailMarys · 05/08/2022 13:28

Would he drink something like a homemade smoothie or shakes do you think? Obviously not a long term solution, as he clearly needs more investigation and help with his eating, but just so that he's at least getting a bit of nutrition and keeping his weight stable in the short term.

Please
or

missrosex · 05/08/2022 13:30

10HailMarys · 05/08/2022 13:28

Would he drink something like a homemade smoothie or shakes do you think? Obviously not a long term solution, as he clearly needs more investigation and help with his eating, but just so that he's at least getting a bit of nutrition and keeping his weight stable in the short term.

Yes he will drink smoothies, I've had him drinking them for months to try and maintain some weight but it doesn't seem to be working☹️ I always make sure I give him milkshakes, smoothies, apple and orange juice but the weight just keeps dropping.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Testina · 05/08/2022 13:31

My first thought - excuse the armchair diagnosis was ARFID too.

When was the last time you actually spoke to your GP, and did you tell them about the drop from 70th to 10th? It’s not clear what “going on at them” really means.

Please
or

ABrotherWhoLooksLikeHellMugYou · 05/08/2022 13:32

Is he funny about the texture of smoothies? Can you add in oats, nut butters etc to get extra carbs and proteins in? How about highly calorific foods like frozen avocado or coconut cream?
If smoothies are OK, for now I think seeing how many nutrient and calorie dense foods you can get in them is the way forwards.

Please
or

Testina · 05/08/2022 13:32

Are you adding things like protein powder, full fat cream, Complan build up type products - or just fruit and milk smoothies?

Please
or

sjxoxo · 05/08/2022 13:33

Go back to your GP And insist. If they don’t help you go to A & E and tell them he’s not eaten for days. Keep going with the smoothies. Sounds hard, sending you a hug xxxx

Please
or

sjxoxo · 05/08/2022 13:34

Will he eat mc Donald’s nuggets or something? As a last resort I would offer happy meal to get through the worst bits. Xxx

Please
or

Albgo · 05/08/2022 13:37

Ask for a referral to a dietician.

Please
or

missrosex · 05/08/2022 13:39

Testina · 05/08/2022 13:31

My first thought - excuse the armchair diagnosis was ARFID too.

When was the last time you actually spoke to your GP, and did you tell them about the drop from 70th to 10th? It’s not clear what “going on at them” really means.

I last spoke to someone about it about 5 days ago, I told her about him dropping of the centile chart, all they ever say to me is does he have wet nappies or is he drinking etc. I've called the GP countless times expressing my worry, I've called 111, the health visitor etc telling them he hasn't eaten for days and this is an ongoing issue. Unfortunately they don't seem to take any further action until the child is so underweight they are ill. The problem is with my little boy is everytime I take him into the emergency room or a doctor he get extremely distressed he won't allow people to touch him, hiding behind things and crying his eyes out. In the end the doctors just send me away with advice leaflets etc

OP's posts:
Please
or

missrosex · 05/08/2022 13:40

ABrotherWhoLooksLikeHellMugYou · 05/08/2022 13:32

Is he funny about the texture of smoothies? Can you add in oats, nut butters etc to get extra carbs and proteins in? How about highly calorific foods like frozen avocado or coconut cream?
If smoothies are OK, for now I think seeing how many nutrient and calorie dense foods you can get in them is the way forwards.

Oh yes he is texture fussy if it's lumpy at all he will refuse

OP's posts:
Please
or

missrosex · 05/08/2022 13:41

sjxoxo · 05/08/2022 13:34

Will he eat mc Donald’s nuggets or something? As a last resort I would offer happy meal to get through the worst bits. Xxx

If he's in a good mood He will eat the nuggets yes only one but yes I get him these often

OP's posts:
Please
or

Pinkflipflop85 · 05/08/2022 13:44

Are you under the dietician and paediatrician?

If not then you need to push for a referral.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.