or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Cinema stopping kids in suits from coming in - Minions

541 replies

jackstini · 02/07/2022 16:48

DS & his friend (both 13) had tickets this pm for Minions, Rise of Gru

Like lots of people per TikTok, they dressed up in suits/ties - just for fun
Got to cinema and were told they couldn't come in because of what they were wearing

DS called me upset and DH went down to see if he could sort it. Found 5 grown men standing over them and a few other kids, shouting at them that they needed to leave and they were not allowed in. Kids felt very intimidated

No dress code visible in the cinema or on the website

DH asked if they had misbehaved and was told no, we just don't like this suit thing as some of the people on TikTok have kicked off
DH pointed out, they hadn't kicked off, just wanted to watch the film, so what was the problem. Stoney silence
He took them outside, took their jackets & ties off & they went back in 5 minutes later and were admitted by a different member of staff

Is it just me or is this ridiculous? And pathetic for them to treat kids like that

I really want to complain but wanted the MN population to vote on if you think they were BU or not

YANBU - cinema staff were out of order & I should complain
YABU - don't complain

OP posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

HappyHappyHermit · 02/07/2022 16:52

That is ridiculous, you should definitely complain.

Please
or

ThatsNotMyMuffin · 02/07/2022 16:54

There's been challenges happening on tik took with this, in my ex local cinema 350 dressed up teens turned up, made a massive mess and nobody was able to watch the screening. So the cinema probably knows about this 'challenge' and are doing this to prevent it!

Please
or

MarshaMelrose · 02/07/2022 16:54

I don't really undestand about TikTok. Are they predicting suited kids will riot? They're in now so I don't know if I'd be bothered to complain but definitely unreasonable. I'm glad they got in in the end. I guarantee they'll forget about this before you so don't stew over it.
Hope they have a great time.

Please
or

zafferana · 02/07/2022 16:55

Utterly ridiculous - do cinemas now have a dress code FFS? It's not enough to say 'some people in suits and ties kicked off'. So what? If your DS and his friends were behaving and had tickets for the film they should have been allowed in. It's blatant discrimination with no basis in anything.

Please
or

tomatopsste · 02/07/2022 16:56

Ridiculous!

Please
or

QuebecBagnet · 02/07/2022 16:58

Is it you who’s also started a post about this on my local FB group?

if so you’re missing out a massive bit of info. That there’s a current tiktok trend with teens to go to the cinema in suits and trash it. Especially for minions? And this had already happened earlier in the day at thjs cinema.

ask yourself why your ds and has mates were wearing suits? And tales about wanting to dress up, etc probably aren’t true.

Please
or

QuebecBagnet · 02/07/2022 16:59

Please
or

ElizaJones · 02/07/2022 16:59

I’d probably focus most of my anger on the kids who have made this an issue in the first place.

Please
or

Blanketpolicy · 02/07/2022 17:03

If there have been multiple reports of teens doing a tik tok challenge and distracting other cinema goers I can absolutely see why they want to nip it in the bud.

Please
or

LottieTx · 02/07/2022 17:06

ThatsNotMyMuffin · 02/07/2022 16:54

There's been challenges happening on tik took with this, in my ex local cinema 350 dressed up teens turned up, made a massive mess and nobody was able to watch the screening. So the cinema probably knows about this 'challenge' and are doing this to prevent it!

If this is the reason then the cinema did the right thing sorry. I would imagine like most places they have the right to refuse entry if they think they will cause trouble or stop the rest of the kids being able to watch the film. Aren’t they a bit old to be turning up to the cinema dressed up?

Please
or

Onthedowns · 02/07/2022 17:08

QuebecBagnet · 02/07/2022 16:58

if so you’re missing out a massive bit of info. That there’s a current tiktok trend with teens to go to the cinema in suits and trash it. Especially for minions? And this had already happened earlier in the day at thjs cinema.

ask yourself why your ds and has mates were wearing suits? And tales about wanting to dress up, etc probably aren’t true.

Exactly. This been reading this today. Local none chain cinema dealing with 300 kids yesterday who turned up creating carnage, throwing popcorn abusing staff.

I don't blame the cinema at all

Please
or

jackstini · 02/07/2022 17:10

@QuebecBagnet - I mentioned TikTok in the op! They were following the dressing up trend from there

I get there are a few people that have misbehaved elsewhere but the fast majority are just dressing up

Fair enough to kick them out if they interrupt the film, but to not let them in at all is just silly

OP posts:
Please
or

Tisfortired · 02/07/2022 17:11

Yesterday my mum took my young nieces (6 and 3) to see this film, she rang me afterwards upset saying there were scores of teenagers in suits who were making a ridiculous racket at every funny/inspirational part of the film, to the point that many people got up and left and complained - my mum also left as my nieces were getting upset, she got a refund from the cinema.

She wasn’t aware of the tik tok trend and neither was I honestly, but it sounds extremely annoying and inconsiderate of other people watching the film.

Please
or

TeapotTitties · 02/07/2022 17:11

I voted YABU because I'm struggling to believe this bit...

Found 5 grown men standing over them and a few other kids, shouting at them that they needed to leave and they were not allowed in.

Why would they need to 'shout' if they were standing 'over them' (and what does that bit even mean?)

But also because I've just read the PP's post about trashing the cinema. You didn't explain that or what you meant by 'kicking off'.

Please
or

Georgeskitchen · 02/07/2022 17:11

I took my nephew to see this today, never heard of this, dont do tiktok nobody in a suit and nobody trashed the cinema

Please
or

Daisypod · 02/07/2022 17:14

Bugger, my son and friends have tickets to go and see this this week before going to prom so will be in suits! It's been planned for months so I don't think it has anything to do with TikTok and they are planning on doing lots of other things while suited as they thought it would be fun. I'd better warn them

Please
or

HellyR · 02/07/2022 17:15

Instead of cinema staff policing the clothes, why don't they police the behaviour? Chuck out anyone who's disturbing others/ trashing stuff.

Please
or

TeapotTitties · 02/07/2022 17:16

Fair enough to kick them out if they interrupt the film, but to not let them in at all is just silly

No, what's silly is following a TikTok trend in the first place. The kids know others have misbehaved and trashed cinemas, so WTF did they think they'd be allowed in dressed like that?

Please
or

Clymene · 02/07/2022 17:17

Minions is a kids film. Why do loads of teenage boys suddenly want to go and see it unless it's to cause trouble?

And chinny reckon that it's just a coincidence they picked that film while they happen to be wearing suits @Daisypod

Please
or

Rtmhwales · 02/07/2022 17:20

It's a business. They can choose not to admit your son and his friend for whatever reason they want, barring any protected characteristic. You could complain but I suspect they're well within reason.

Please
or

Donotgogentle · 02/07/2022 17:20

It’s a TikTok trend/manipulative bit of viral marketing. The aim is not to trash the cinema at all.

DS went in a suit but said some of the teenagers there (not with his group) were pretty noisy.

They left half way through as he said the film was so bad. It’s obviously aimed at a younger age group.

Please
or

SirChenjins · 02/07/2022 17:23

Clymene · 02/07/2022 17:17

Minions is a kids film. Why do loads of teenage boys suddenly want to go and see it unless it's to cause trouble?

And chinny reckon that it's just a coincidence they picked that film while they happen to be wearing suits @Daisypod

My teenage son went to see it last with a friend and their GFs - why on earth wouldn’t/shouldn’t they? Confused If they had misbehaved I’d have expected tge cinema staff to deal with them in the same way they deal with adults misbehaving.

I can understand the cinema being wary, but if people are going to misbehave they’re going to do it regardless of what they’re wearing.

Please
or

MichelleScarn · 02/07/2022 17:23

HellyR · 02/07/2022 17:15

Instead of cinema staff policing the clothes, why don't they police the behaviour? Chuck out anyone who's disturbing others/ trashing stuff.

Probably because whatever the cinema do to to police any behaviours you'll get the 'wasn't me' 'my child would never do this' 'I'm suing/complaining for being told off'!

Please
or

Crazykatie · 02/07/2022 17:23

It’s the challenging on TikTok that’s the problem, a couple of kids causing trouble you can kick out, several dozen or more and you have a real problem.
The cinema has the right to refuse admission to anyone in their T&Cs for sure.

So if you see your kids dressing up uncharacteristically ask why.

Please
or

PresidentByeThen · 02/07/2022 17:23

My teen showed me a couple of videos of kids acting up in the local cinema during this, it basically looked like a really weird rave!

I can see why companies are being careful with admittance, you'd be gutted if you were there with smaller children and that happened

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?