Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To have cried in asda

705 replies

Littlemissdan · 02/04/2022 20:39

Is it just me that the whole cost of living thing is getting too much for? I actually had a (very small and no one watching!) cry in asda when I saw some reduced bakery goods because I didn’t know if I could afford them alongside my entire smartprice shop. £30 I had for a 2 week shop including nappies, and it just broke me that I actually had to wonder if I could afford a 55p treat for my kids. I can’t believe we’re living like this, 3 years ago we were comfortable and now I’m relying on the free school meals half term vouchers.
Not really looking for advice or budgeting advice here, just a bit of solidarity really :(

OP posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Soubriquet · 02/04/2022 20:40

It is horrible.

In the same boat here

Please
or

MrsBertBibby · 02/04/2022 20:40

I'm sorry lovely. 😞

Please
or

bloodywhitecat · 02/04/2022 20:45

I've been there in the past, it is fucking awful.

Please
or

leeloo1 · 02/04/2022 20:47

It doesn’t help much with the horrific energy price hikes, but… Have you looked at an app called olio? In the evenings people collect all the food Tesco etc can’t sell and list it in there. Then local people request it and collect it for free. So lots of free baked croissant-type products, plus milk,meat, bread, salad, flowers and all sorts. People can also list their own unwanted food or household items. It might help you a little bit.

Please
or

Deafdonkey · 02/04/2022 20:47

We are indoors and cold. It's almost unbelievable

Please
or

CaMePlaitPas · 02/04/2022 20:48

I ran out of money today. I haven't got the money to put petrol in my car. It's just so bloody depressing.

Please
or

Jobseeker19 · 02/04/2022 20:49

The vouchers come in handy though.
How many children x 2 weeks could be over 80 pounds.
Asda is really cheap.
The 20p pasta and 13p tins of stuff. I went there today. I thibk Asda has actually gotten cheaper.

Please
or

Littlemissdan · 02/04/2022 20:54

I’m so sorry so many of you are in the same boat, it’s so wrong.
I’ll have a look at Olio, thank you.
Yes, I’ve also ran out of petrol and need to get to work tomorrow. It’s costing £10 a day to get to and from work in our previously quite economical car.
I have no idea what we’re going to do next winter. At least my 2yo will have her funded hours come September so the childcare bill will reduce.

OP posts:
Please
or

BOOTS52 · 02/04/2022 20:56

I know it is just so disheartening trying to count up the price of things when going around the shop and worrying if have enough to pay at the checkout. Things are just getting worse here also, electric and gas both going up 25 percent here next month and can barely manage the bills as it is. Just feel deflated from it all myself to be honest. I remember a few years ago could put food in trolley without thinking about it all and now that has all changed thanks to our crap government here who keep adding more taxes up on taxes whilst giving themselves a few pay rises a year. So out of touch of reality and how the normal person is living. Big hugs and you sound lovely and so many in the same boat unfortunately.

Please
or

nalabae · 02/04/2022 20:59

Feeling it too, but shop in Aldi or Lidl

Please
or

JackieWeaversLaptop · 02/04/2022 21:01

@Littlemissdan

I’m so sorry so many of you are in the same boat, it’s so wrong.
I’ll have a look at Olio, thank you.
Yes, I’ve also ran out of petrol and need to get to work tomorrow. It’s costing £10 a day to get to and from work in our previously quite economical car.
I have no idea what we’re going to do next winter. At least my 2yo will have her funded hours come September so the childcare bill will reduce.

Really sorry OP Flowers definitely have a look at Olio, that’s a good idea. It might be worth contacting Citizens Advice to see if you’re entitled to any financial support to help with bills and things - have you been in touch with them at all?
Please
or

AHungryCaterpillar · 02/04/2022 21:02

I think this is the last time they are doing the vouchers just to warn you, I know it’s the last time our council are. So won’t be able to rely on them soon 😕

Please
or

FloralsForSpring · 02/04/2022 21:03

It's hard when you've had to add it up for a long time so you notice the prices going up and get to the end of the shop and have to wonder what to out back.

Please
or

Rinatinabina · 02/04/2022 21:05

I’m so sorry OP 💐 that shouldn’t happen x

Please
or

Tiredtiredtired100 · 02/04/2022 21:10

YANBU to cry, it is a very upsetting and frightening thing to be on the breadline. You have my complete and utter sympathy.

I always remember a thread on mumsnet from some years ago about meal planning where one poster said that they were so poor they meal planned everything and once a friend and daughter came over and she gave them a cup of tea and biscuit using her last biscuit and bit of milk. They barely drank the tea and the child merely nibbled at the biscuit. When they left she sobbed because that was all she had left. This story has stuck with me as it epitomises how little we know about the struggles of even our closest friends.

I hope things get better soon 💐

Please
or

Londoncallingme · 02/04/2022 21:12

Get an electric bike for work?

Please
or

Tilltheend99 · 02/04/2022 21:12

Sorry op Flowers the whole situation really, really sucks for everyone. I know you should be able to get to work however you choose but is your work close to any bus routes or a train station? If so it would be much less then £10 a day. It might take a little longer but it might not for example my husband walks to work about 25-30 mins if he gets a lift and traffic is good it only saves him 5mins if traffic is bad it is the same time as walking or 5 more.

Please
or

ReadyToMoveIt · 02/04/2022 21:12

@nalabae

Feeling it too, but shop in Aldi or Lidl

We don’t have an Aldi or Lidl within 20 miles of us.
Please
or

MrsGHarrison87 · 02/04/2022 21:13

So basically you're doing a weekly shop for £15 including nappies? How? Try cheaper shops.

Please
or

NannyGythaOgg · 02/04/2022 21:14

Obviously I don't know your exact situation but I found out only last year that if you are on a low income, you can get a council tax reduction.

It's worth completing the 'are you eligible' form even if you don't think you are. Mine is worth nearly £100 a month and a friend who is working and has a son at home who is working part time whilst at college found she was entitled although she doesn't know how much she will get yet.

Be warned, the form is long and soul destroying and if you are entitled you have to o through it all again for real but it hopefully will be worth it.

I am also a big Olio user. I get mostly veg but quite often flowers as well and it has surprised me at how uplifting they are when they are free. Aldi has been signed up to ours recently and flowers are now more frequent. I have currently got tulips, daffodils and alstroemeria. I only asked for one but as there were plenty that hadn't been requested I struck lucky.

Please
or

PebbleMillAtOne · 02/04/2022 21:14

Use the scanner they have in store and it adds up tour shopping as you go along. My swear by buy is Frozen veg, never get fresh.

Please
or

peasandcarrrots · 02/04/2022 21:14

@Londoncallingme

Get an electric bike for work?

???
Please
or

Nsky · 02/04/2022 21:14

Are you entitled to any help?
Very scary and unfair for lots

Please
or

Littlemissdan · 02/04/2022 21:15

@AHungryCaterpillar

I think this is the last time they are doing the vouchers just to warn you, I know it’s the last time our council are. So won’t be able to rely on them soon 😕

Thank you, I didn’t know that so at least I can plan for it.
I’ve just downloaded Olio and another app called Too good to go, but I think I’m definitely going to need to start skipping a couple of meals. We (me and DH) haven’t eaten tonight, and probably won’t now. I did get a big bag of jacket potatoes so I’m going to cook them all tomorrow and freeze for lunches over half term. Got plenty of tubs of beans for fillings, and I did buy frozen mince so I can make a big spag bol and bulk it out with lentils and oats (don’t knock it until you’ve tried it!). It doesn’t help that my 2yo is super fussy and pretty much lives on strawberries, melon, and cheese sandwiches at the minute.
I’m just rambling now, I think I need a cup of tea and to go to bed to be honest.
OP posts:
Please
or

FloralsForSpring · 02/04/2022 21:16

@PebbleMillAtOne

Use the scanner they have in store and it adds up tour shopping as you go along. My swear by buy is Frozen veg, never get fresh.

Yes always buy frozen if you can. No wastage.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?