Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

To think holiday homes could be used to house lots of refugees

Letshaveablackcelebration · 13/03/2022 13:54

Uk has a LOT of holiday homes and empty second homes. Surely they could be used to take a lot of Refugees aswell as spare rooms? It could support local economies all year round too rather than just in peak tourism seasons? The crisis is going to escalate rapidly in Ukraine- there are 44 million people in the country and so far it’s about 2 million who have fled and now countries like Moldova and the Poland are starting to struggle so we need to step up.

Aibu? It seems like an obvious solution. Obviously using the empty homes of oligarchs too is a preference.

I read an article about a woman who gave her French holiday home to a refugee family.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

User76745333 · 13/03/2022 13:55

Well yes but you have to commit to six months of accommodation. Most people who have holiday homes will have let them out already

Please
or

PotteringAlong · 13/03/2022 13:58

And most people with holiday homes rent them
Out to pay for them. If they’re mortgage free then it’s an option, but if they’re not then they’re not.

Please
or

BlanketsBanned · 13/03/2022 13:59

I have a small second home which needs a bit of renovation if the govt are happy to help and pay for that which i could then happily offer to people in need

Please
or

Letshaveablackcelebration · 13/03/2022 14:00

Well maybe the government might have to step up and pay out to cover basic costs. A refugee crisis of this scale is going to need big solutions

OP's posts:
Please
or

AllOfUsAreDead · 13/03/2022 14:00

I can just imagine the threads on here already..

'we've had our holiday booked for YEARS, scraping every penny together, and now it's been given to refugees so we can't stay there. Aibu?'

Not saying you're wrong, but I can imagine the outrage from the average British person. Its all well and good helping them until it interrupts their life.

Please
or

Notimeforaname · 13/03/2022 14:01

Will you be giving up yours? Or a room ?

Please
or

Movingonup22 · 13/03/2022 14:01

Lots will have mortgages and mortgages will only allow for holiday letting. Of course the government could pass a law to change that, bake could agree etc etc - but there are actually quite complicated public policy issues about doing that etc.

So basically it’s not the straight forward solution it might seem

Please
or

Letshaveablackcelebration · 13/03/2022 14:02

@AllOfUsAreDead well that’s kind of my point too I think in some ways. Putin isn’t looking like he is going anywhere and it’s possibly going to get worse. It’s a refugee crisis on an unimaginable scale that could happen to any one of us. It might be an epoch changing event much like WW2 was

OP's posts:
Please
or

Bunty55 · 13/03/2022 14:02

Bet the OP does not have a holiday home then :)

Please
or

Letshaveablackcelebration · 13/03/2022 14:03

@Notimeforaname if I had a second home then yes I would. And I am happy to host a family too.

OP's posts:
Please
or

gizmo · 13/03/2022 14:03

Airbnb are running a scheme to organise this already. As other posters have said, its tricky for owners who already have bookings for this season, but thousands have signed up. Now we just need the bloody government to smooth out the visa situation Angry

Please
or

BeHappy91818 · 13/03/2022 14:03

Well most would
Be booked up for this year and next already.

Please
or

BlanketsBanned · 13/03/2022 14:03

The govt are offering £350 a month to help with costs and councils £10k per person I think.

Please
or

girlmom21 · 13/03/2022 14:03

You can't just force people to give up their properties.

Who's going to pay the mortgages, the water rates or to fix any damage?

Please
or

Letshaveablackcelebration · 13/03/2022 14:04

@Bunty55 no but I am happy to host a family if I can in my actual home.

OP's posts:
Please
or

girlmom21 · 13/03/2022 14:04

@BlanketsBanned

The govt are offering £350 a month to help with costs and councils £10k per person I think.

£350 is a couple of nights in lots of UK holiday accommodation.
Please
or

daisypond · 13/03/2022 14:04

I know people in the U.K. who have offered their holiday home in Poland.

Please
or

BeHappy91818 · 13/03/2022 14:05

@Bunty55

Bet the OP does not have a holiday home then :)

That was always going to be the way. Happy to offer everyone else’s properties when they don’t have one to help with.
Please
or

Davros · 13/03/2022 14:05

Our "holiday home" is the only home we own, we live in rented. We need the income due to DH's Parkinsons meaning he can't work very much. It is also a wonderful retreat for us every few weeks. The judgment that holiday home owners are all a certain type, living a certain way is often wrong. You don't know everyone's situation and there will be very many who have so-called unusual circumstances that don't fit your stereotype

Please
or

BeHappy91818 · 13/03/2022 14:06

@BlanketsBanned

£350 would hardly stretch to a weekend in a holiday home.
Please
or

Letshaveablackcelebration · 13/03/2022 14:06

@BeHappy91818 well as I have said, it’ll happily have a family in my own home!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Proudboomer · 13/03/2022 14:07

Micheal Gove wants Seize Russian oligarch mansions to house Ukrainian refugees which I think is a great idea. No doubt it won’t happen as to many rich NIMBY types won’t want them living next door.

Please
or

GucciBear · 13/03/2022 14:07

I would not. When you take a booking you can have a check on who the tenants are. I know the situation is desperate for a lot of decent people but backgrounds - and covid jabs? are not being checked. If you live a way from your home how on earth would you make sure it is not being wrecked. Doubt the Government would cover costs.

Please
or

Letshaveablackcelebration · 13/03/2022 14:07

@Davros was I judging anyone at all? Massive assumption there. But if there are loads of empty homes & the government is willing to pay then what is the difference between holiday makers and refugees?

OP's posts:
Please
or

BeingATwatItsABingThing · 13/03/2022 14:08

I think it’s a good idea in principle but not really feasible. As PPs have said, most of them are already booked up and the owners need the money to pay the mortgages.

The government would have to cover losses or people would have to be willing to make a loss. With the cost of living skyrocketing, people won’t be able to afford it.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.