Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU to not understand the outrage over the government’s so-called Christmas party?

OneRuleForThem · 07/12/2021 22:33

I feel like this is only an issue if people automatically followed guidelines like robots. We were “told” not to visit our own families over Christmas. Nobody tells me whether I can or can not visit my own family, so I did, and had a lovely and nice normal Christmas last year.

It seems people are up in arms over the fact that Downing Street allegedly (do I have to say allegedly?) had a Christmas party and flounced the “rules” without social distancing. My only reaction is…And? And so? So what? Did anyone expect the government NOT to do something like this? I don’t know why people are up in arms over it tbh. It’s not like this government is brand new to people and they didn’t have prior information that this government backtrack and “do as I say not as i do” ALL THE TIME.

I really don’t get why people are so outraged by this. My main reaction is…why did you listen to them in the first place expecting them to be some kind of moral leaders? AIBU?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Crispyturtle · 07/12/2021 22:55

I didn’t stay at home and miss seeing my family because Boris Johnson told me to, I did it because the expert scientists (who I absolutely trust) told me it was the safest thing to do and because the government put it into law! I expect the people who make the laws to abide by them and I’m upset that they’re laughing about it. I’m not surprised because I know this government is the most crooked corrupt bunch of spineless liars that have ever held office in this country, but I am so so angry

Please
or

PinkAndPurpleClouds · 07/12/2021 22:56

@OneRuleForThem

Hmm ODFOD

Please
or

PinkiOcelot · 07/12/2021 22:56

Come on!! Surely you can get why people are outraged?! People followed the law! The government (and you) broke the law. Wi can’t understand what you are finding so difficult to understand!

Please
or

toomuchlaundry · 07/12/2021 22:56

I didn't want to risk giving COVID to elderly relatives. Didn't really matter what the rules were, we weren't all going to meet up en masse and risk making vulnerable relatives ill.

Please
or

twilightermummy · 07/12/2021 22:56

But they made the rules! Whether you followed them or not makes no difference. They made the rules so they should have believed in them enough to follow them surely?
I don’t tend to judge others and if it were anyone else I may not be filled with the disgust I’m feeling right now. They clearly loathe the public, that’s what gets me.

Please
or

madroid · 07/12/2021 22:56

And I'm not surprised either. He allowed Dominic Cummings to tell blatant lies in the Downing Street garden on television. I bet they had another good laugh about that too.

I'm so sorry for everyone that wasn't with their loved one when they were dying. I know that would haunt me. Too right they're angry. They have right to be.

Please
or

AnyFucker · 07/12/2021 22:58

Controversial…

I’ll tell you what though. I have seen a lot of people, including on this site, saying “I am glad I broke the rules and saw my family last Xmas because of what those lying rule breakers did…”

Erm

Please
or

SickAndTiredAgain · 07/12/2021 22:58

I feel like this is only an issue if people automatically followed guidelines like robots.

Why? Even if the government brought in some new law that I thought was an absolute joke, I’d still be pissed off if they were caught breaking it after firmly insisting on tv that it had to be brought in and that it was very important that everyone followed it.

Please
or

sst1234 · 07/12/2021 22:58

To be honest OP, many were docile enough to let the govt tell them what to do and when to do it. So now they feel like mugs. That’s all this is.

Please
or

OneRuleForThem · 07/12/2021 22:58

If the majority of people who responded have said they weren’t surprised , why did you listen? I just don’t understand that.

OP's posts:
Please
or

OneRuleForThem · 07/12/2021 23:00

@sst1234

To be honest OP, many were docile enough to let the govt tell them what to do and when to do it. So now they feel like mugs. That’s all this is.

Yes, I agree with you. I feel like most people are angry and feel cheated and, like you said, like mugs, but this government has ALWAYS cheated people and made mugs out of them so I feel, at some point after so long, it’s kind of like, well…what did you expect?
OP's posts:
Please
or

FindingMeno · 07/12/2021 23:00

Because we have some morals and they clearly don't.

Please
or

Rose789 · 07/12/2021 23:00

To be honest OP you sound just as much of a twat as the people that attended that party.
You broke the law so you could have a merry Christmas cos fuck the government?
Everyone could have done that. The vast vast majority of people chose not too because they are not absolute selfish fuckers like you

Please
or

AutumnLeaves21 · 07/12/2021 23:00

@OneRuleForThem it was the LAW. I would have put my job in jeopardy. What is it that you don’t understand??

Please
or

Kitkatchunkyplease · 07/12/2021 23:00

@OneRuleForThem

If the majority of people who responded have said they weren’t surprised , why did you listen? I just don’t understand that.

It was the law and people didn't want to be fined ? Or disciplined at work? Why is that confusing?
As I said, my mum died on her own. That wasn't something I could have changed because it was outside of my control due to the restrictions imposed by the government.
Please
or

gildalily · 07/12/2021 23:01

OP sign on to Twitter and read the stories of people who were not allowed to visit dying relatives due to covid restrictions. Or those who couldn't visit relatives they gave since lost. It's not a case of people being somehow wrong to have followed the law when the government didn't. It's life or death for some people. They had to follow the rules and have upsetting consequences. Good for you if you were clever enough not to be bothered about the law. But some people did do the right thing - because they believed it was the right thing and wanted to protect others - and they suffered harsh personal consequences. The people who put the rules in place have shamefully ignored them and laughed about it and it's not ok.

Please
or

Biker47 · 07/12/2021 23:01

I ignored the rules last Christmas to some extent, and I don't begrudge any "normal" people who did the same. But I don't set the rules and wouldn't have set those rules, so the people who have a direct hand in setting those rules, shouldn't be flouting them openly, and laughing about it. Fuck them.

Please
or

AutumnLeaves21 · 07/12/2021 23:01

Politicians, however-the people in charge of running the country, people paid 5x more than me, get away Scott free. Despicable.

Please
or

Platax · 07/12/2021 23:01

I didn't ignore the law,, even if you did, OP, So yes, I am very angry that the government did, and even angrier that they are lying about it and laughing at us.

When I decided to obey the rules, it wasn't because Johnson said so. It was because it was the law, because it followed medical advice, and because it made sense.

Please
or

Triphazards · 07/12/2021 23:01

I don't give a shit about some party last year, that they're saying the PM wasn't at.

You give a shit if you want to.

Please
or

MasterBeth · 07/12/2021 23:01

@OneRuleForThem

Because if no-one followed the rules, Covid would have spread uncontrollably and tens of thousands more people would have died.
Please
or

PuntasticUsername · 07/12/2021 23:02

Fucks sake op. Your only 'argument' here is "ooh our leaders are so shit, why would you ever expect them NOT to be shit, my, aren't you silly!".

Leaders. Should. Not. Be. This. Shit. That is the point.

"no bloody 5 year old should have to be that resigned and that used to their exciting plans being cancelled. Meanwhile adults decades older than him who should have known better, who made the fucking rules in the first place decided they shouldn't have to go without. A 5 year old was better able to handle the disappointment of not having his party go ahead than the leaders of our country."

This is very well put. Your poor little lad 😭

Please
or

Dishwashersaurous · 07/12/2021 23:02

OK I'll bite.

You are shocked and surprised that people followed the law.

The law.

Not advice, guidance or requests.

In London last Christmas it was against the law to be inside a domestic property with other people that you didn't live in.

Tens.of thousands of people spent Christmas day alone. Because they followed the law

Please
or

OneRuleForThem · 07/12/2021 23:02

@AnyFucker

Controversial…

I’ll tell you what though. I have seen a lot of people, including on this site, saying “I am glad I broke the rules and saw my family last Xmas because of what those lying rule breakers did…”

Erm

Not me, I don’t base my own decisions on what the government do or don’t do, I live my life to the best of the ability and constraints of how I want to live it. I don’t see how that’s controversial, but maybe to those that have responded so far. I just feel like, as a PP pointed out, that people feel like mugs for listening and feel cheated.
OP's posts:
Please
or

Cheerbear24 · 07/12/2021 23:03

@OneRuleForThem

I just feel like people are angry because they feel personally cheated out of a Christmas last year when the people setting the rules had a nice one and my only response is…WHY did you listen to them expecting moral high ground from the government, and Boris Johnson, of all people!

Well I won’t be doing it again. Some rules I did it for the ‘greater good’ I suppose, remember ‘don’t kill granny’?
Some rules were imposed on me; no wake for my grandmas funeral and 12 people only. Before she died in the care home she was locked in there, no visitors until she was on deaths door. She was very deaf and trying to communicate to us through a locked window once a week. Heartbreaking.
FIL died of cancer at new year and had an utterly miserable last year with being terrified of catching covid on top of chemo, living on his own, crippling loneliness, and everything being closed, all whilst the Tories took the piss on a massive scale and laughed in our faces. Fuck doing all that again.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.