Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

6 year old walking to school alone via a woodland track

Loveagingernut · 06/12/2021 22:17

I am looking for others views, maybe I’m being too protective and should be promoting independence.

Back story….
School walk via roads and pavements is over a mile long, however there is a short cut through woodland area where the track is just less than half a mile but it is classed as a forest. On the left of the forest is an industrial estate with approx 60 different businesses. Due to the nature of 80% of these businesses, they mainly employ men. On the right of the forest there is a residential area and the primary school.
The track is popular with dog walkers, teenagers going in the opposite direction to the secondary school use this short cut, and lots of men that walk or cycle to their employment in the industrial estate.

So this is my concern…..
A young mum, that I support, was walking her 6 year old daughter to school via the track, but I have found out that in the cold, winter, dark mornings, the child is now walking to school alone on this route. She doesn’t need to cross any roads so no safety issues there but am I being over protective thinking it’s not acceptable for a 6 year old taking this route on her own.

Mum isn’t taking her, because she has to be elsewhere for 9am and doesn’t have the time to take her daughter to school, thus allowing daughter to walk through the forest alone.

Am I being too protective or do I promote independence.

OP's posts:
Please
or

ParkheadParadise · 06/12/2021 22:28

Did she tell you that?
Don't understand what her age has to do with it. Would you have mentioned she was in her 40's

My dd is 6 if I sent her through a forest herself to go to school I can guarantee she wouldn't get there. She'd be climbing trees or playing with sticks. 😂😂

Please
or

WorraLiberty · 06/12/2021 22:29

@Loveagingernut

Thank you all so much for agreeing with me on this.
I just needed to know that others thought the same as me.

I promise it is not fake. Tomorrow I will do something constructive about it.

Thank you all so much for agreeing with me on this.

What do you mean agreeing with you? Sorry but your OP came across as though you're just as clueless as the mum here.

I am looking for others views, maybe I’m being too protective and should be promoting independence.

Am I being too protective or do I promote independence.

Can you just clarify what you think people here are agreeing on?
Please
or

HalfShrunkMoreToGo · 06/12/2021 22:30

We live literally across the road from school and it's a small road, takes us less than 3 minutes to get from my front door to through the school grounds to her classroom door, and 7yo DD does not walk to school alone, and won't till year 5 at the earliest.

Please
or

4pmwinetimebebeh · 06/12/2021 22:30

I don’t like the sound of walking along that track let alone a 6 year old. Poor little thing.

Please
or

PeachesPumpkin · 06/12/2021 22:30

OP you should report it to children’s services. Don’t just leave this up to the school - you have identified the problem so you need to act.
Child protection is everyone’s concern.

Please
or

CasaBonita · 06/12/2021 22:30

I wouldn't even let my 6 yr old walk down our street alone!

Please
or

Teacupsandtoast · 06/12/2021 22:30

Sweet jesus, that's an absolute hard no. Please please do something to protect that little girl

Please
or

PinkAndPurpleClouds · 06/12/2021 22:30

Biscuit
Please
or

AbsolutelyFuckinFabulousDarlin · 06/12/2021 22:30

What would be your reasoning to think this is OK?

Please
or

Loveagingernut · 06/12/2021 22:31

Mum has to be at college for 9 am , 3 mornings a week in the opposite direction.
Unfortunately mum puts her own needs before her daughters, which I am fully aware of.

OP's posts:
Please
or

AnotherOneWithNoGoodName · 06/12/2021 22:31

Assuming the UK, this is obviously not normal. I would be surprised if school not aware child is arriving alone. Does mum pick her up?
On the off chance they are not aware, I would call the school and inform them, unless your "support" is a professional role, in which case you should know how to escalate concerns within your organisation.

Please
or

ChangeChingyChange · 06/12/2021 22:32

Who is this mum to you? A relative? That's so unbelievable I can't believe anyone would let a child that young walk alone. Definitely step in, can't believe you'd need to check that with us.

Please
or

cutietooties · 06/12/2021 22:35

Absolutely no way in hell! I actually feel sick at the thought of this child doing this tomorrow

Please
or

Hankunamatata · 06/12/2021 22:36

@Mammyloveswine

Erm school would notice a child coming in alone at six and definitely report!!!!

Is this uk?

Not necessarily. In covid times now our school doesn't allow parents past the gate and teachers are around the corner so cant see the parents.
Please
or

AbsolutelyFuckinFabulousDarlin · 06/12/2021 22:37

If you are supporting her in a professional capacity, you néed more training
If you are a friend you need to report this ASAP
This is not OK

Please
or

flymetotheloon · 06/12/2021 22:39

Is this in the UK? I have a friend who moved to Sweden and referred to woods as 'the forest' and espoused this kind of independence.

I'm only checking in case there's some kind of cultural element but I still 100% consider it neglect.

Please
or

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 06/12/2021 22:40

My 8yo isn't allowed to walk to and from school alone (their rule) and we live in sight of the gate.

Incidentally, when we lived in Germany it wasn't allowed for 6yos to walk around by themselves either. It was 10yo.

Please
or

SantasGoodLittleGirl · 06/12/2021 22:41

No.
Please do as you say, and do something about it.

Please
or

flymetotheloon · 06/12/2021 22:42

By the way what did this bit mean in your op?

"Am I being too protective or do I promote independence."

Whose independence? Are you the mother? If you're a professional involve with supporting the family an are asking for advice on mumsnet then I agree you need firing, or if a volunteer checking in with your organisations safeguarding officer.

Very odd post.

Please
or

Nibblypiggotonabus · 06/12/2021 22:42

This is utterly terrifying, why would her mother think this is ok?
God forbid anything should happen, raise it immediately.

Please
or

Loveagingernut · 06/12/2021 22:42

For clarity, I do not agree with mum allowing child to walk alone.

I am a grandmother figure to the 6 year old although not related by blood. She has no birth grand mothers.

The mum lacks in parenting skills and i stepped in about 3 years ago to give her guidance, so she takes on board, some she completely ignores.

OP's posts:
Please
or

User2638483 · 06/12/2021 22:42

In England, where it’s not the norm to walk alone at this age I’d be really surprised if the school didn’t notice them arrive on their own? But maybe it depends on how drop off is done. At our school since covid everyone brings to the door so it would be obvious

Please
or

catandbabymama · 06/12/2021 22:43

Is this your daughter and grandchild? That's the sort of impression I got from the post. Not acceptable at all regardless of the relationship and you should do something about it if you're "fully aware" of other issues too which it seems you are.

Please
or

watchingrnfire · 06/12/2021 22:43

My child is older than 6, and I still don't eat them walk on their own. Our school is close too.
That's awful, 6 is toooo young. Speak to the mother say you've noticed child on her own and you didn't see mum

Please
or

LouLou198 · 06/12/2021 22:44

No 6 year old should be left alone anywhere! She needs to organise proper childcare or quit college. I am shocked school have not safeguarded this.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.