Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Hairdresser refusing appointment for DC

storminateacupagain · 04/12/2021 12:16

I have been going to the same hairdresser every 6 weeks for years, My DC's 5 and 2 usually come with me every second visit for tidy up/trims. DS in particular has very curly hair and after a while his hair is totally wild, I always book appointments for them same time as me.
Last visit for when l tried to rebook for us all just before Christmas l was told that they were not doing any childrens hair for the month of December,.
Surely this is unfair for regular clients?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Roominmyhouse · 04/12/2021 13:29

Laughing at the person who said kids hair cuts only take 10 mins. Yes if they have fine hair and are angels and sit still, but in reality they can take as long as an adult hair cut.

The salon I worked in over 20 years ago had a blanket no kids haircuts on a Saturday unless they paid full adult price. It would be more reasonable to say that rather then no kids cuts at all. But at the end of the day it’s their business and if that’s what they want to do then it’s up to them.

Please
or

girlmom21 · 04/12/2021 13:29

@icedcoffees it makes perfect sense, and there are millions of businesses that do it now you've mentioned it. I think i was having a dense moment Grin

Please
or

luverlybubberly · 04/12/2021 13:30

Yanbu to be annoyed but you have the choice to take your money elsewhere.

I have a teenage boy who has his hair cut by a barber on the day that under 16s are a tenner. He'd rather go at the weekend but it's double then so until he's 16, he'll be going off peak.

Please
or

lliitttlepiinkhouse · 04/12/2021 13:31

Would you be ok with forced overtime if your employer suddenly gets really busy?

Can you find the bit where I said anyone would be forced to work over time?

A good employer would ask staff and arrange these things in advance, and try avoid turning away customers.

Please
or

icedcoffees · 04/12/2021 13:32

@DeclineandFall

Their business so if they want to fuck their regulars off then they can. Which is idiotic.
The most diplomatic way for them to do this is to say we have been fully booked for December for months but if we get a cancellation we'll let you know. They will get cancellations I suspect as Christmas dos get cancelled, and more people get covid.

But if they were "fully booked", they wouldn't have been able to offer OP an appointment either.

It's totally normal for businesses to only offer concessions during quiet periods of the week/month/year. I really don't know why MN gets so offended about businesses needing to make money, lol.
Please
or

Loveisland19 · 04/12/2021 13:38

Take them to a barbers, that’s what I do with my son - it’s easier, quicker and cheaper. My son has very curly hair and they do short back and sides with scissors on top. He has been going since he was 7 and loves it and wouldn’t want to go anywhere else.

Please
or

user1471457751 · 04/12/2021 13:39

@Theunamedcat her kids only go with her every other appointment

Please
or

5keletor · 04/12/2021 13:42

I can understand why, to be fair. They can make a lot more money from people wanting hair cut, coloured, styled, etc. for Christmas parties at this time of year. Try a barber as previously suggested, we pay a fiver for our toddler's haircut, doesn't seem to be too busy either, even at this time of year.

Please
or

TheVolturi · 04/12/2021 13:46

Some dickish comments here. Yanbu op, why is kids hair less important than adults hair? I would go elsewhere.

Please
or

CarrotSticks19 · 04/12/2021 13:50

Businesses only make money if they have customers who want to use their services, it's all very well to scoff at people who aren't business owners and say businesses need to make money. But equally for a business to be viable it has to provide a service that customers really want.

Its like tesco could stop selling milk and bread because these aren't profitable, but if I couldn't do my weekly shop there it wouldn't be worth going.

If the service they provide doesn't work for their regular customers then they will go elsewhere. The service this hairdresser provides doesn't work for OP because she needs her children's hair cut in December, therefore she should cancel her appointment and go elsewhere to a business that provides the service she requires.

Please
or

nancy75 · 04/12/2021 13:51

If a kid’s cut is just as important as adult’s then it should cost the same to cut as adult’s hair

Please
or

Chely · 04/12/2021 13:53

All about profit, find a new one.
I learned to cut the kids hair when our regular hairdresser changed career.

Please
or

nancy75 · 04/12/2021 13:54

@Chely

All about profit - isn’t that the basic objective of any job/business?

Presumably you go to work for free?
Please
or

icedcoffees · 04/12/2021 13:55

If the service they provide doesn't work for their regular customers then they will go elsewhere. The service this hairdresser provides doesn't work for OP because she needs her children's hair cut in December, therefore she should cancel her appointment and go elsewhere to a business that provides the service she requires.

I suspect the vast majority of their customers won't have young children who need their hair cut for £15 a go, though.

They provide that service normally because it's a good way to get bums on seats, and because it's often quiet during the week (when pre-school age children are likely to have appointments), so it works for them. They don't have to keep offering it when it no longer suits.

Of course OP is free to go elsewhere, but I don't think the hairdressers will find themselves sitting around twiddling their thumbs as a result of it, lol.

Please
or

luverlybubberly · 04/12/2021 13:55

@TheVolturi

Some dickish comments here. Yanbu op, why is kids hair less important than adults hair? I would go elsewhere.

It's not that kids are less important - it's more profitable to have adults because they have might have a colour, hair wash etc so the business makes more per hour than a kids haircut which won't take a full hour
Please
or

CarrotSticks19 · 04/12/2021 13:56

Personally I would find this off-putting in a hairdresser, children still need their haircut. I think it would be fair enough to say not on a Friday or Saturday, type thing but no children at all would put me off.

Please
or

luverlybubberly · 04/12/2021 13:58

All about profit,

After the last 2 years, small businesses have every right to maximise profit. I hope beauty and hair businesses do loads of business this Christmas and New Year.

Please
or

icedcoffees · 04/12/2021 14:01

@Chely

Of course it's all about profit, lol.

Would you go to work if you didn't get paid?
Please
or

Shallwegoforawalk · 04/12/2021 14:05

@TruffleShuffles

Who is watching your children while you are having your hair done OP? Is the issue that there will two children wandering about an extremely busy salon around Christmas?

This was my first thought. Do your 5 and 2 year old sit nice and quietly or are they yelling, running, pestering other customers, whining? Can you supervise them adequately while having your own hair done?
Maybe the salon wants to encourage you to leave the kids at home. Permanently.
Please
or

unname · 04/12/2021 14:10

@Coffeepants

I think its pretty rubbish if you a regular client and would put me off using them if they were doing it solely so they could fill up with more expensive services. Children haircuts are cheaper but also take a lot longer and they don’t usually wash, blow dry, etc.

I think it’s bad business to do this to regular clients.
Please
or

unname · 04/12/2021 14:10

Also, they should have told you back in October!

Please
or

SusannaQueen · 04/12/2021 14:15

It's not a great business model to be packing in people who are probably not regular clients for one sitting and pissing off your regular clients who go every 6wks. You'll probably not find anywhere else before Christmas, but I'd be looking elsewhere afterwards.

Please
or

GertrudePerkinsPaperyThing · 04/12/2021 14:18

It’s business I’m afraid! Adults cuts cost more so they want to do them
I had fhat with dds haird after the first lockdown- they would only do adults as so much demand. I think I paid the adult price in the end (she’s a teenager so it meant a lot to her!)

Please
or

jollygreenpea · 04/12/2021 14:18

I would try a barbers. What did you do in lockdown, I started doing DH and DS and have kept going with them.

Please
or

cansu · 04/12/2021 14:20

It is poor service. I would be voting with my feet

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.