My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

in thinking that most gp's, doctor's generally and nurses are hardworking proffessionals who deserve some respect?

106 replies

pukkapatch · 13/12/2007 18:04

because they certainly dont seem to getany nowadays.
obvioulsy there arethe small minority of people in the profession who give it a bad name, but most of them train bloody hard and work even harder to help people. they certainly dont do it for money. not in this country anyways. and if they dont get respect, then why bother training for it?
aibu in thinking they deserve respect?

OP posts:
pukkapatch · 13/12/2007 20:55

ozy, this thread is not about the pay packet received by doctors. it is about acknowledging really good job they do. and aboutshowing them some respect.
if you cant see the point of this thread, then i am afraid that you are sadly, one of the people who really needs to understand what respect means.
no one in life is entitled to the things that many people in this country have, and expect as a right. people here are lucky enough to get things like free education and health care. and a little appreciation and respect for the people who provide it is what this thread is about.

OP posts:
handlemecarefully · 13/12/2007 21:08

"erm, handlemecarefully, nurses are in the very same boat, further training, life and death decisions."

Don't agree re 'very same boat' - not at all. I respect the work nurses do. I worked 13 years in the NHS with a variety of clinically professionals. My SIL is a nurse and I love her to bits. But frankly it isn't comparable

Kathyate6mincepies · 13/12/2007 21:16

If you're making statements that are factually incorrect I don't think you can complain that someone is off-topic when they post corrections.

I have enormous amounts of respects for doctors. I just agree with Ozymandius - they are very well paid and to deny that suggests you don't know much about what the rest of the country earns.

handlemecarefully · 13/12/2007 21:17

Are you talking to me?

Kathyate6mincepies · 13/12/2007 21:19

No, Pukkapatch - she was the one that was complaining that Ozy was not talking about what the thread was 'about'.

handlemecarefully · 13/12/2007 21:19

(am finding it hard to follow threads - am sleep deprived. Too much Christmas partying recently )

tissy · 13/12/2007 21:31

none but the seriously mis-informed would choose to go into medicine for pay and status these days. Hospital Consultants have no status at all.

Yesterday, I started work at 8 am, and worked through till 5.15 eating my lunch in the 10 minutes it took me to walk between two clinics. Each of the 60 patients I saw was told, "I'm sorry for the delay, I don't have a registrar with me today". Most were understanding, but several put in complaints, apparently, I should be psychic and know when staff are going to phone in sick. One man was verbally abusive because I told him (honestly) that I couldn't cure his condition.

Today was no better.

handlemecarefully · 13/12/2007 21:32

I think surgeons with a decent private practice can still do enviably well tissy, but on the whole I agree with you

tissy · 13/12/2007 21:41

but private practice comes at a price- your free time.

I choose not to do private practice, I would rather spend my free time with dd.

Contrary to popular belief (not aimed at you, hmc), surgeons do not generally do their pp on NHS time. Those who do forfeit their NHS salary on a pro rata basis, so if you spend 1 day a week in PP, you lose a fifth of your basic salary (that's on the new contract). I do have a colleague who drives an Aston Martin, pp is good money; in comparison, working for the NHS is not. My colleague is paid for a 32 hour week, and in practice does more than that for the NHS. What he does in his free time is his own business, and is paid at the going rate.

Swedes2Turnips1 · 13/12/2007 21:52

But a lot of surgeons use their NHS secretaries to run their private practise.

tissy · 13/12/2007 21:55

yes, my colleague does, and he pays her for the pp work, and she stays in the office till 6-6.30 pm, to make sure the NHS work is finished!

Actually, many surgeons, use their wives as their private secretaries! It's some kind of tax dodge recommended by their accountants, I believe!

Swedes2Turnips1 · 13/12/2007 21:57

PatsyCline - I was treated by Prof Robson and Stephen Sturgiss and their brilliant crew in the Fetal Med Unit at the RVI too some years ago. They were absolutely brilliant. 100% fantastic all of it.

Kathyate6mincepies · 14/12/2007 09:09

Re the low status thing - did anyone see that programme Can Gerry Robinson Save The NHS? which was on a year or so ago with a sequel the other day.
The extent to which the managers treated the consultants like naughty children was unbelievable - if they didn't like something the managers were proposing they were described as 'throwing their toys out of the pram'

However I can't believe you really 'have no status at all' in society as a whole. People who have 'no status' would be, say, single mothers on benefits. I know how much status doctors get generally from being an academic and the fact that the times I get treated best are when people see the title 'Dr' in front of my name and assume I am a medical doctor.

welovepumpkin · 14/12/2007 09:22

deenymcqueeny..before you make a 'life and death decision' on the ICU you wouldn't run it past the registrar?

Really?

TroutSprout · 14/12/2007 09:24

Agree with Sofiaames

juuule · 14/12/2007 09:48

I agree with Sofiaames, too.

AnneMayesR · 14/12/2007 09:55

Um by the time you wait for the registrar the patient will probably be screwed depending on the situation.

If I have a patient on an insulin drip and his blood sugar is bottoming out and I don't catch it...or I do catch and ring the registrar rather than stop the damn thing and do what I need to do well then....

Or what about when a patient starts choking? Should we wait for the doc to ring us back before we sort him out?

If I have a patient getting massive amounts of IV fluids and they start developing heart failure as a result and become short of breath with no urine output maybe I should just ring the doctor and wait on that as well. Maybe I should just keep the fluids running until doctor shows up? LOL

Patient is due their 80mg of IV furosemide now but BP is 70/30 and potassium level is 2. Should I just merrily go on and give the furosemide as ordered or make a decision? If I don't pick up on this and leave it until the doc shows up what happens?

Maybe this list should be titled how to get fired as a nurse and lose your registration.

Nurses aren't anywhere near doctors when it comes to life and death decisions and responsibility but they are pretty high up there compared to others.

LoveAngelGabriel · 14/12/2007 10:03

I respect people who go into the caring professions. It isn't an easy career path. I have had some terrible experiences with the medical profession, though, and do wonder why some people bother going into these professions / how they stay in a job..?

Kathyate6mincepies · 14/12/2007 10:07

I think for a lot of doctors it runs in the family.
Plenty do go into it for the money - I know that keeps being denied on this thread, but hell, if they don't care about the money let's cap medical salaries at 40k (which is more than most of the population can even dream of earning) and save the NHS a fortune

pukkapatch · 14/12/2007 11:48

kathymincepies, this thread is aboutacknowleding the wonderful work that doctors and nurses and other healthcare professionals do. despite the low regard a lot of people in society have for them.
their pay packet is of no consideration whatsoever to this thread.if you are unhappy about how much they are paid, then please go talk about it somewhere else. i simply want to acknoweldge the fantastic job a great many of them do.

yes i know some of them are not that wonderful, but the vast majority are.

OP posts:
pukkapatch · 14/12/2007 11:49

even better, lets fire all the sodding nurses and doctors, its not as if they do anything at all is it. that would save the nhs a fortune!

OP posts:
Kathyate6mincepies · 14/12/2007 11:59

FFS Pukkapatch, I was not seriously suggesting we cut their salaries. I was arguing with the claim that none of them do it for the money. Constantly making out that doctors are some kind of higher being who don't care about lowly things like their salary doesn't do anyone any favours.

FWIW I am perfectly happy with the idea that doctors should earn several multiples of what other qualified professionals with equal amounts of training earn, because what they do is enormously, critically, important and needs to be done by talented people - I want the best person possible treating my children if they are sick even if it means paying them £100k. It is precisely because I respect what they do that I feel like that. But I'm not going to sympathise with them being underpaid, because they're not.

Only clearly this is one of those threads where you just want people to go 'Oh yes OP, you are so right!' and not actually think about any of the things that are said here

Kathyate6mincepies · 14/12/2007 12:06

Oh and if you just want a consensus on your thread, maybe you should start it somewhere other than the AIBU? topic.

juuule · 14/12/2007 12:06

Wow that was a bit OTT Pukka.

Swedes2Turnips1 · 14/12/2007 12:14

"yes i know some of them are not that wonderful, but the vast majority are."

I feel sure this statement is true. Trouble is you only have one GP. If he/she is a poor specimen it does unfortunately cloud your judgment. Same story if you have a poor midwife/ horrid health visitor etc. People who work in the health service get a much better overall picture.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.